Lost Power - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 09, 07:59 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Bob

Exclamation Lost Power

Need help from all you electrical systems gurus. Here's the problem

Got my 69 z28 back from my engine rebuilder with a fresh overhaul of the 302.including engine bay detailing.
Picked the car up late in the afternoon as the sun was going down and it seemed to be running fine until I turned on the headlights then slowly the lights dimmed until the car stalled. It would not restart ..no power at all completly dead. Fortunatly my wife had dropped me at the rebuilder and was driving behind me and we got it started with the jumper cables only to repeat the same problem again. Managed to make it home o.k.
Next day replaced the 7 year old battery and the car ran fine for 3 weeks. Although I only drove it at night once for about an hour.
Took it out of garage Sunday after sitting for a week or so with no charge or drain on electrical and replaced the aftermarket radio with 69 delco am/fm stereo which I left on for about 2 hours as I hooked up the 4 speakers.
Car started o.k. and I took it for a short test drive late in the day turning on the headlights when needed and the problem started all over again. Jump started again and everything lit up normally. Jumper cables got really hot. Console amp gauge went to neg. then quickly to zero and I unplugged the harness to the new radio to make sure there was not a short there.
I drove around for about 40 mins. hoping to recharge the battery but after about 30 mins. the lights started dimming again so I went home put the car in the garage and tried to restart but only got clicking from the starter. Put jumpers on again restarted lights lit up bright again same situation.
Previous owner told me alternator was rebuilt about 6 yrs. ago Voltage Regulator is original Delco. . Appreciate any help.

Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 09, 10:44 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Re: Lost Power

Alternator on the Z/28's are designed to output the most 37 amps. So with a low state of charge battery and lights on with idling, the battery never gets enough charge put back into it.

What you might do is if you want to keep the external regulated alternator, get one of higher oputput, say 55 amp or another 10DN alt from an Olds/Pontiac, seems there are a couple out there with 61 amp alt, and use a Wells P/N VR715 ext reg, electronic style. If you want to keep the physical look, transfer the mechanical black case from original VR to the new reg to keep it looking OE. All is Plug & Play.

Make sure the belt is tight, maybe a new one.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode