Power drain - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old May 4th, 09, 11:31 AM Thread Starter

Question Power drain

I have a problem with my 69. The battery keeps getting drained and it seems to be coming form the charging system. Does anyone have a schematic for a 69 rag?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old May 6th, 09, 10:17 PM

Re: Power drain

Im currently rewiring my 68. Though I know very very little about wiring (I've got a former chevy mechanic giving me a hand), I do know that if there are any aftermarket upgrades or accessories poorly spliced into the system, this could cause all sorts of problems. For example, alarm systems, stereo systems with multiple disk changers, etc. The main reason I decided to rewire the whole car is get around power drains and ignition problems. Sux to take a girl out in your cherried out muscle car.......and it dont start.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old May 7th, 09, 07:16 PM
Senior Tech

Murray, have you tried the old test lamp trick? Disconnect one of the battery cables (ground is a safer choice) and put a test lamp between the battery post and battery cable to complete the circuit. Your electrical drain will cause the lamp to glow. Then you can begin disconnecting parts of your harness, pulling fuses, etc. until the lamp goes out. If you suspect the charging system, try disconnecting the red wire from the alternator or voltage regulator to see if the light will go out.

If you do a search in the electrical forum you'll find several links to schematics. All first gens were essentially the same. Accessories like RS headlamps and AC are in different drawings but I think you'll find those as well. Also, someone posted some color schematics that are quite popular - check the sticky topics at the top of the Electrical forum. The moderator will send you a free password to unlock them.

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old May 8th, 09, 08:43 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

The lamp test is a great start, and is very valid.

There is a thread in the electrical sticky on "trouble shooting the external reg charging system" that gives a bunch of info that will help you determine a problem.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode