hate to do it.....Alternator/wiring help needed!! - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old May 13th, 09, 10:13 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

hate to do it.....Alternator/wiring help needed!!

I hate to ask this because it is so similiar to so many other questions I found when searching, but I couldnt find an answer.

Here it goes...I am almost finished installing a serpentine conversion from a 2002 Tahoe. The alternator only has the "post' on the back with two red wires that look lihe they may have a fuse/link in them. The ONLY other wire is a brown one on the SIDE of the alternator. The trouble I am having is that all the tech help I have come across talks about the connectors on the back of the alternator and has two wires in addition to the battery "post". Described here https://www.camaros.net/techref/ftecref14.html

On my stock harness I have:
Thick red wire-This was hooked directly to alternator before, so I am presuming I can do it again.
Blue and yellow wire in a "plug" that was also hooked up to the old alternator.

I dont know what to do with the brown wire on the side of the alternator or the Blue & Yellow wires in my stock harness.

Please help!!

Jason

1968, 383, 700R4, Convertible
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old May 14th, 09, 11:20 AM
Senior Tech
David

Re: hate to do it.....Alternator/wiring help needed!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southtwnr View Post
I hate to ask this because it is so similiar to so many other questions I found when searching, but I couldnt find an answer.

Here it goes...I am almost finished installing a serpentine conversion from a 2002 Tahoe. The alternator only has the "post' on the back with two red wires that look lihe they may have a fuse/link in them. The ONLY other wire is a brown one on the SIDE of the alternator. The trouble I am having is that all the tech help I have come across talks about the connectors on the back of the alternator and has two wires in addition to the battery "post". Described here https://www.camaros.net/techref/ftecref14.html

On my stock harness I have:
Thick red wire-This was hooked directly to alternator before, so I am presuming I can do it again.
Blue and yellow wire in a "plug" that was also hooked up to the old alternator.

I dont know what to do with the brown wire on the side of the alternator or the Blue & Yellow wires in my stock harness.

Please help!!

Jason
Jason,
The plug with the blue & yellow wires is not used if converting to a 1 wire alternator. Unplug it and tape it back to the harness in the event you convert back to the standard 3 wire alternator.

David F.

"All I need is a fast machine". Steve McQueen
My Machine: 1969 Pro Street Camaro
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

468 CID 661 Horsepower
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Turbo 400
33"x19.50" Mickey Thompsons

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old May 14th, 09, 02:43 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

The brown wire, if from the alt plug, would be for the GEN light.
Don't be afraid to ask, the quicker you ask, the faster you're on the street enjoying the drive.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden … enjoy your next chapter.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old May 14th, 09, 04:48 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Thank you both for the replies!

I found some photos on ebay of the same alternator I have:

this has a good pic of the back and the plug on the side

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CHEVY...1%7C240%3A1318

Is this considerd a one wire alternator? If so it was not what I had intended. I guess I always thought the one wires were more of an aftermarket thing, not OEM.

If someone could confirm this for me, then I can proceed accordingly.

Also, If that wire goes to the gen light as stated, which wire on my harness is that?

Thanks so much, I was getting desperate!

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old May 14th, 09, 05:41 PM
Senior Tech

That alternator is a bit different than what I'm used to so I hope the following isn't bad advice. Can you go to your local library and examine the haynes manual schematics for a 2002 Tahoe to be sure which pins on the alternator go to which wires?

In the stickies at the top of the electrical forum there is an alternator conversion article that will probably give you some idea of how to wire up that new alternator. I don't think you'll need the blue / yellow wire with that alternator. If that alternator is like the CS-130 (with which I'm more familiar) you'll have a brown wire to the GEN lamp, a red wire (for remote sensing) that can be shunted directly to the back of the alternator or to the horn relay or the battery junction block. The article above will explain. Last you have the big red wire. The other pins on the plug aren't used and the blue / yellow wire can go away. I purchased a plug for my CS130 at my local auto parts store in the Help! section for $5 or so.

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old May 14th, 09, 05:55 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

One wire late model alternator. I would imagine the two red wires you describe may be power supply wires to the rest of the vehicle and a charge wire for the battery.

The brown wire would go either to pink wire on reg connector to GEN light or go to ign source to excite the alt, I think.

Thanks, Dave.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden … enjoy your next chapter.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old May 15th, 09, 11:14 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I posted a question about the alternator in a Chevy truck forum and this is the info supplied:

The Red <A>wire is B+ and goes to the battery. Should be hot at all times.
The Grey <C>wire is the field signal which goes to the PCM
The Brown <B> wire is the charge indicator and goes to the PCM.

I dont currently have a grey wire, but am assuming I can by a replacement plug with the all the wires.

What do you all think? Should I still hook this up as a one wire alternator?

Jason

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old May 15th, 09, 12:07 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Don't worry about the gray wire, you have no PCM.
Hook up as one-wire alt.

'
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old May 16th, 09, 03:24 PM
Tech Team
Mark

The taco alt is an AD series alt. This is not a one wire alt. Your 1968 red wire will be too small . You should make this wire larger. You can connect the wires as shown in the other posts from the reg. Jump the wire at the reg plug using the brown wire at the plug to go to either the blue or yellow (take your pick )cuz you will only need to connect this to the light wire on the AD alt connection. This AD can be run with 2 wires. One on the post and one to the alt side plug L terminal. The brown wire on the side of your old alt has me a little confused unless it was a ground wire with a small eyelet on it. This won't be needed but you can use it if you want. Mark
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old May 17th, 09, 07:22 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellar View Post
The taco alt is an AD series alt. This is not a one wire alt. Your 1968 red wire will be too small . You should make this wire larger. You can connect the wires as shown in the other posts from the reg. Jump the wire at the reg plug using the brown wire at the plug to go to either the blue or yellow (take your pick )cuz you will only need to connect this to the light wire on the AD alt connection. This AD can be run with 2 wires. One on the post and one to the alt side plug L terminal. The brown wire on the side of your old alt has me a little confused unless it was a ground wire with a small eyelet on it. This won't be needed but you can use it if you want. Mark
Stellar,

The brown wire is on the new alternator. Actually, I just looked for an "L" terminal marking and that is it!

I have one of the red wires(post on the back) from the alternator wired directly to the battery(+) and the other to the red wire in the harness.

I had already altered the wiring to the voltage regulator thinking this was a "three wire" install. So that shoulbe OK

Can you please clarify where the brown wire/L-Terminal should go?

Jason

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old May 18th, 09, 04:22 PM
Tech Team
Mark

I need some clarification. You said there are wires already on the new alt. Are these in a plug that is plugged in to the alt already, like they were cut off of the 02 harness? The alt has no wires if it is just the alt. If you have wires coming from a plug in the alt can you tell me the position of the wires? Looking at the rear of the alt, viewing the black plastic cover you will see where the wiring plug goes. It is a 4 prong plug. it is marked PL(IF)S You will need to connect one of the MIDDLE wires (L) this

is the one located closest to the post on the alt to the lite. (REMEMBER YOU WILL NOT BE USING THE END TERMINALS OF THE PLUG ONLY THE MIDDLE TWO AND THE BIG POST) If this is the alt for an 02 taco then that is all you should need. Do not connect the other middle wire (F) as it is for the computer in the taco. This reg should be internally sensed so you will not need to connect the S wire.
Try it with the 2 wires. L from reg to your idiot lite, and the big wire on the post. That should work fine. If you need more help let me know. Mark
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old May 19th, 09, 05:54 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellar View Post
I need some clarification. You said there are wires already on the new alt. Are these in a plug that is plugged in to the alt already, like they were cut off of the 02 harness? The alt has no wires if it is just the alt. If you have wires coming from a plug in the alt can you tell me the position of the wires? Looking at the rear of the alt, viewing the black plastic cover you will see where the wiring plug goes. It is a 4 prong plug. it is marked PL(IF)S You will need to connect one of the MIDDLE wires (L) this

is the one located closest to the post on the alt to the lite. (REMEMBER YOU WILL NOT BE USING THE END TERMINALS OF THE PLUG ONLY THE MIDDLE TWO AND THE BIG POST) If this is the alt for an 02 taco then that is all you should need. Do not connect the other middle wire (F) as it is for the computer in the taco. This reg should be internally sensed so you will not need to connect the S wire.
Try it with the 2 wires. L from reg to your idiot lite, and the big wire on the post. That should work fine. If you need more help let me know. Mark
Yes. The brown(I only have one on the plug) wire is coming from the plug on the "L" prong.
Thanks. Can anyone tell me which wire on my harness is the "idiot lite"?

Stellar thanks again.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old May 20th, 09, 11:03 AM
Tech Team
Mark

you should have a brown wire at the old reg plug. I believe it is terminal #4. that should be the lite wire. To test it with the key on ground the brn wire and the gen lite should come on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode