Electrical gremlins -69 Camaro - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old May 14th, 09, 04:37 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Electrical gremlins -69 Camaro

I have been working on a car that was restored in 89 and has been sitting since....only 250 miles in 20 years. I am having the following issues....

1. Amp gauge is fine when car is idling. Turn on running lights and the amperage is fine. Turn on headlights and amperage drops. Ideas why? Maybe regulator or faulty alternator?

2. Signals are not working. I am thinking a ground somewhere for this problem since the dash was out to replace the tach that was sticking.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old May 14th, 09, 05:13 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Re: Electrical gremlins -69 Camaro

Without knowing other facts on the car, I'd say its normal because the alternator may only be a 37 amp capacity.

On the case next to the adjustment bolt, is the amperage of the alt. If equipped with a 37 amp, headlamps on, ammeter will show a discharge at engine idle due to alt only being controlled by the regulator, again, normal indication.

The true test would be to measure battery voltage at time of charging with engine running. Normally, with no accessories on and in 10 -15 minutes of run time, 13.2 to 13.8 volts would be normal. Add a load, and what the alt can't supply, battery will assist. As battery warms up, less charge voltage is needed.

Also, drive belt tightness comes into play. Loose belt, lower output.

One change you can make to improve the present situation is to replace the mechanical voltage regulator with an electronic reg, strictly plug & play, a Wells P/N VR715 and transfer the ground wire. Disconnect the battery cable, ground is preferred, and wire brush the connections to the horn relay below the regulator to remove any high resistance. Also, move the ground connection from the alternator bracket to the block itself and clean the battery posts and clamps.

If turn signals outside don't work, but emergency flashers do, then you might unplug/plug the steering column connector and maybe giggle the turn signal handle. The copper contacts inside might have corroded over time. Or the flasher itself is bad located next to the steering column under the dash. Again, only if emergency flashers work and turn signals don't.

If flashers don't work, then might be power problem or a ground problem at each socket in each corner of the car. Wire brush again. The hierarchy of the rear lights is emergency over turn signals over brake lights.

Hope this helps.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old May 16th, 09, 11:05 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Thanks Everett. I am going to work on it this weekend and go through your recomendations. I will update as I progress. Thanks again!

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old May 21st, 09, 06:53 AM

Just quickly reading your post and was thinking about my boss who had a late model Corvette, he was restoring and his car would almost shut off when he turned on his lights. He couldnt figure out why. After trial and error, someone asked him if he changed his coil. I think he said he had a blaster, the black one, and when he changed it out, it worked perfectly. Might want to try that, if the car has been sitting around.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old May 28th, 09, 09:52 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everett#2390 View Post
Without knowing other facts on the car, I'd say its normal because the alternator may only be a 37 amp capacity.

If turn signals outside don't work, but emergency flashers do, then you might unplug/plug the steering column connector and maybe giggle the turn signal handle. The copper contacts inside might have corroded over time. Or the flasher itself is bad located next to the steering column under the dash. Again, only if emergency flashers work and turn signals don't.

Hope this helps.
Well, I swapped out the original console gauges for a new OER set and everything there works fine now.

Only problem left is that I have hazard lights but no signals at all. I went through the wiring diagrams and found that there are 2 dash grounds...1 on the LH side dashboard and the other on the dashboard brace. I think I found the LH ground (see pic) but I can't find the other ground. There is one loose black wire (ground?) under the center dash speaker. Where does this one attach??
If the flasher is bad where can I find a new one?? It looks like I have one of the signal dash bulbs burned out as well. Any ideas where to get new dash bulbs? Thanks for the help.

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old May 29th, 09, 04:01 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

I would suspect the black wire by the speaker be ground, maybe to the ducting screw?

Flashers and bulbs can be bought at your local parts store, NAPA.
Directional indicators are 194
Turn signal flasher is a 512, but get one for trailer use/heavy duty. The reason being is the standard flasher relies on having the correct load, read current rating of all the lights being used, to flash - one bulb burns out, no flash. A heavy duty/trailer use has a definite duty cycle and can handle up to six lights - lights will always flash even if one bulb is out.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old May 29th, 09, 02:46 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everett#2390 View Post
I would suspect the black wire by the speaker be ground, maybe to the ducting screw?

Flashers and bulbs can be bought at your local parts store, NAPA.
Directional indicators are 194
Turn signal flasher is a 512, but get one for trailer use/heavy duty. The reason being is the standard flasher relies on having the correct load, read current rating of all the lights being used, to flash - one bulb burns out, no flash. A heavy duty/trailer use has a definite duty cycle and can handle up to six lights - lights will always flash even if one bulb is out.
Picked up a new hvy duty signal flasher today and a bunch of 194 bulbs plus a full fuse assortment to replace everything with new. For $20 why mess around. We will see if that helps anything.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old May 30th, 09, 12:15 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

replaced the flasher and all the fuses and everything seems to be working fine now. Thanks for all the help.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old May 30th, 09, 03:16 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

You're welcome.

'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode