Retro Sound Model One needs Ext. Amp - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 09, 09:24 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
John

Retro Sound Model One needs Ext. Amp

I just installed a RetroSound Model one in my 68. The unit looks nice but only has 22 watt RMS (60 peak) X 4 channels. I have a pair a 6 x 9's in the back that are rated at 60 RMS.

The stereo looks nice but the speaker sound quality is weak and has way to much treble with very little bass response. My guess is that the speakers are not performing at their rated 60 RMS power so I am considering connecting an external amp for the rear speakers.

The retrosound Model one has 2 set of RCA outputs. One set is for the front speakers and one for the rear speakers. I am going to get a small 60 Watt RMS amp to run the 6 X 9's.

2 Questions.

1, Can Anyone reccomend a 60 watt amp for my 6 x 9's, I think I only need 2 channel since there are 2 speakers.

2. My radio is getting power from the ACC on the fuse box. What would I connect the Amp to for power? Could I splice onto the ACC that is powering the radio?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 09, 10:05 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
John

Powering External Amp and Stero

I have a retorsound stereo and it is plugged into the ACC jack on the fuse box of my 68. I am about to purchase a 60 watt external amp, can I splice the power wire onto the same ACC jack the stereo wire is connected to?
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 09, 10:33 PM
Senior Tech

Re: Powering External Amp and Stero

60 watt amp? Thats the smallest amp I have ever heard of...
Just add up the amperage that each device uses, I think it will be too much for that fuse.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 09, 11:17 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
John

Yeah, I bought the Retrosound Model One radio for mt 68 and the damn thing only has a 22 Watt RMS amp. It is pretty weak and I just want to get my system up a couple watts. 22 watts is barely enough to rock out when hauling *** on the highway.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 09, 04:46 AM
Kevin

Based on what I have learned, you need to run a separete power line from the battery with a 25-60 amp inline fuse. I am putting a 75 watt (4 ch) amp in my 69 and bought the kits at walmart from schosce. You have to do some online calc (read some audio forums!) to see what voltage amps the unit is pulling and that will determine wire size and fuse. I ran my power line through the lower pass hole where the rubber plug went for the firewall pad. then up through the pass fender to the battery area. Gotta still find a good way to hide it.

Kevin

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 09, 04:57 AM
Kevin

Re: Retro Sound Model One needs Ext. Amp

John, I answered the power question in your other thread. You can pick up used 4 channel amps pretty cheap on EBAY and Craigs list. Just do you homework on the specs of the model and get a return policy if DOA.

Kevin

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 09, 05:56 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

I think we'll merge these 2 threads...

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 09, 08:10 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
John

Thanks everyone.... by the way, I would not reccomend a Retrosound amp unless you are getting an external amp.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 09, 11:54 AM
Michael

Hi Guys,

Thanks for posting about our radio, our onboard amp is an IC amp (external amps use MOSFET outputs which draw more current), an IC amp is low powered and fine for full range speakers and normal listening levels. Many of you have high powered motors in your vehicles and I would recommend an external amp to run your larger rear deck speakers to overcome the internal cabin noise generated by those motors.
Please feel free to ask our tech manager Chris about adding amps to your radios, he's very well versed in this, and we appreciate you talking about us. Our support email is: [email protected]

Many thanks,

Michael Robbins
Product Manager, Retro Manufacturing
www.retrosoundusa.com
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 09, 06:25 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Standard head units are limited to 22-24 watts, period. More is mathematically impossible.

A "real amp" is BIG. It needs a lot of cooling, and it needs a lot of electricity.

My amp feed is a 4 gauge wire coming straight off the side post of a dual terminal battery, through a 60 amp fuse.
The amp (50 watts times 4, alpine) is a foot square and 3 inches thick.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 09, 06:39 PM
Kevin

Jim, why did you go with a 4GA &60A? I have a 75x4 alpine and per the charts 8GA&25A was fine. http://www.the12volt.com/info/recwirsz.asp

I also have plans to swap the guts of a 55amp alt in my dated 37amp case to provide enough juice with everything on (stealthy). Even though the head unit and amp should draw about 16amps. Pretty much everything will be hidden or disguised, I even have a plan for the power feed hidden on the repro snap ring + bat cable.

Kevin

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode