Console Oil Pressure Line Gauge Burst!!!?? - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 09, 08:30 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Tom

Console Oil Pressure Line Gauge Burst!!!??

Hey all,

I just broke in (~200 miles on car) my fresh 69 302 with gauge pod. Took momma for a ride, got about 1/2 mile from home and noticed black gold bubbling up in my gauge pod!!!! Needless to say, we didn't move to Beverly....

I'm talking major leak, not a drip. Whole pod and carpet soaked. Based on my dipstick, probably dumped 2-3 quarts. Pulled her home to the shop and took apart console. While restoring, I needed a new oil line, fittings and oil pressure gauge; so ordered all from Rick's this past April. Classic Headquarters parts....had the black plastic line with proper fittings for each end. All seemed to seat well.

After looking over the oil pressure gauge itself, I noticed that the brass housing the line connects to seems to have broken away (looks like it was soldered on).....I need some feedback here. How does this gauge work, and would broken solder explain the rapid loss of oil? The line itself was not broken, kinked, cracked or melted. The nut holding the line on was tight (I was really careful assembling due to brass...).

I've read multiple threads here about copper vs. plastic oil line and it seems like many have differing opinions. My previous origianl Z/28 had plastic, but as I recall it was white and seemed to be heavier duty, plus all were GM original parts. My replacement gauge & line was repro...

For now, oil pressure sending unit installed and idiot light....I'm a little uneasy about that happening again!

Additionally, do ya'll think Rick's would pony up and help me out with gauge and carpet?

Advice welcome!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 09, 09:56 AM
Senior Tech
Alan

Re: Console Oil Pressure Line Gauge Burst!!!??

Well, it seems according to your description the gauge itself failed. The plumbing and your installation of it held. Best thing you can do is take pictures and forward them to Rick's and see what they are willing to do. It would seem that the gauge manufacturer would be responsible but.................

alan
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 09, 11:15 AM
Team Member
John

how much oil pressure do you have? It may be too much for the fittings. My 327 runs about 60-80 lbs and it blew the platic right off of the engine. Check your fittings and compression nuts as well. I don't know what Rick's will do for you, but make sure you give them the details. If it isn't out of scope, then maybe they will pitch in.

68 coupe
matching 327
95 coupe (bone stock)

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 09, 11:30 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Tom

Good question. Engine is totally rebuilt, 30 over, crank down 10 new cam, pistons, lifters, bearings, rods and heads are all fresh. Use Penn break in oil a/ ZZDP.

On start up pressure was right up there...between 60-80. Then, it began to contantly run at 80....
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 09, 12:54 PM
Senior Tech
Ted

Why not use an electric guage and solve the issue of oil on the interior. Or is your set up stock configuration?
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 09, 01:18 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Tom

I have stock gauge. Is there an electric that will fit in 69 console pod?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode