dash lamps not grounded? - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 09, 07:09 AM Thread Starter
Premium Member
Gordon

dash lamps not grounded?

Hi there,

My 67 machine's dash lamps, including the high beam indicator don't work. The oil and gen lamps work, but not the temp lamp.

The car had been restored and I bought it this way. So, I wonder if it's a ground contact situation?

I wouldn't want to pull the dash off if I can help it....is there a way to run a bypass ground connection without having to pull the dash?

Thanks,

Gordon

SS396 67 L35 TH400

Last edited by gordr; Aug 23rd, 09 at 07:10 AM. Reason: wrong word
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 09, 08:45 AM
Tech Team

Re: dash lamps not grounded?

Gordon - YOur ground source for the instrument cluster is a springy piece of metal that is part of the high beam indicator lamp housing. One end of the springy wire picks up the center top screw that mounts the instrument cluster to the dash so the dash itself is the ground source back to the neg side of the battery. You could try to loosen the cluster and as a test attach a more direct ground to the springy wire. It's possible your dash was painted and you don't have a good connection.

There are several items (cig lighter) that use the dash metal itself as a ground.

QUESTION TO OTHERS: Does the dash ground path back to the battery just take place by the fact the dash is part of the car or does a 67 bring a wire to the dash itself somewhere in the harness to privde a more direct path?

WALLY
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 09, 08:45 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Harry

I would check ground on headlight switch.
if ground braket is missing or loose you wont get those dash lights.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

434 stroker
US Navy retired

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 09, 09:01 AM Thread Starter
Premium Member
Gordon

Ah....that's what was missing, that springy piece to the high beam indicator light housing...

So, I just went ahead and yanked the whole housing off and soldered a wire to the neg side of the high beam lamp holder and also attached a wire to one of the holding screws for the unit to connect it to ground....it works!

Thanks,

Gordon
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 09, 05:21 PM
Senior Tech
Casey

Are you guys calling the high beam indicator ( headlamp dimmer)???
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 09, 07:51 AM
Senior Tech
Brian

where does the ground go from the headlight switch to where. I dont have one on my headlight switch and am having the same problem. Any help would be appreciated.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 09, 05:55 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

It's not anything with the headlight switch, Dawg has a 69, completely different dash than a 67-68.

The dash pcb grounds thru 2 metal strips, one goes from the dash to the high beam indicator, the second goes from there to behind the center screw that hold the cluster to the metal dash.

2 areas to look at:

At the high beam light, red lens goes on first, then the 2 ground straps, then the socket. any other order won't work.

Where the center screw goes into the metal dash, ya gotta get the paint off and make sure you get a good connection, the ground strap is just sandwiched between the metal dash and the plastic gauge housing.

All else fails, run a separate ground wire to the steering column support.

That ground goes to:
Fuel gauge (or tach if equipped)
4 gauge illumination lamps.
turn signal indicators.
High beam indicator.

If it's not grounded, you can get some real weird stuff from voltage backfeeding thru the turn indicator light bulbs into the rest of the outside lighting system.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 09, 07:52 AM
Senior Tech
Brian

Sorry for the stupid question but im getting despret. I have a 67 camaro. My dash/instrument lamps arent working. Tach is. When i installed the new circuit board it has a i paper type material on it that didnt look like it should come off. The old one was completely see through.
Do you have any experience on the reproduction circuit boards that have this and should it stay on. Just trying to think of anything at this point. thanks. Any help would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode