Small base HEI - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 09, 05:51 PM Thread Starter

Small base HEI

Can anyone suggest a reasonably priced small base HEI for '67 327? The Chevy HEI is just barely passing the firewall after some slight massaging and I still have 3/4 of an inch of washers under the tranny mount that need to be removed! Thanks!

JohnW
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 09, 06:07 PM
Senior Tech
Dan

Re: Small base HEI

I recently installed a Daves Smallbody HEI on my 68 w/sbc 327 it works great! Dave will rework your original distributor or you can send him a reworkable core. You will have to replace your existing resistor wire from your bulkhead connector with a 10-12 gauge wire for full 14.2 volts to HEI and make sure your charging system is in order.

68 camaro RS 327/275 THM350 4 wheel disc brake 8.5 10 bolt 3.42 daily driver
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 09, 06:07 PM
Senior Tech

http://www.davessmallbodyheis.com Dave can be hard to get a hold of - he seems to have a lot of health problems. But you'll be very happy with the result. It'll look like a standard breaker points setup, but uses an HEI ignition module mounted to the bottom of the distributor. As a bonus you wont have to worry about replacing an aftermarket custom ignition part on the road since every parts place in america carries HEI modules.

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 09, 07:49 PM

Dave just had the final operation on his left lung last week. No cancer, just a lot of damage from a bacterial infection. He's been fighting this for over 3 months, and finally, the doctors have a handle on it, and have now done the right stuff to get him healthy again. He should be back to his usual 20 hour days in about three weeks or so.

Regards,

Milton
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 09, 04:48 PM
Senior Tech

I think it's interesting that Dan I both responded with Dave Ray's setup at exactly the same time

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 09, 05:10 PM
Senior Tech
Dan

Dave,(dnult)
I wanted to ask if you needed to rejet or change carb settings in any way after the hei swap I went from points I think I maybe a little lean I am running pretty stock 327 with 291 heads, stock intake with 4mv q-jet cowl induction and dual 2-1/2 exhaust x pipe and stock exhaust manifolds mild pinging part throttle, and I am experimenting with ported/manifold vacuum setup crane adjustable vacuum can from Dave. Thanks for any advice. Dan

68 camaro RS 327/275 THM350 4 wheel disc brake 8.5 10 bolt 3.42 daily driver
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 09, 07:40 PM Thread Starter

Dave,

My '67 327 is almost exactly the same setup except for a Edelbrock 650 and headers. The plugs are white and there's a flat spot just opening off idle. I'm going to jump one or two sets set of jets and metering rods.
I saw the small base HEI conversions Dave does. Do you know if it uses parts (module, etc.) that I can buy over the counter for service or are they some special stuff?
Plus how do you know which advance can should be used? I think it's based on vacuum/cam to advance with vacuum levels during WOT...? Just a guess. Thanks

JohnW
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 09, 08:45 AM

First of all, yu probably have the vacuum advance on ported vacuum off the carburetor, not the right way to do it. Dave has instructions for limiting the stock vacuum advance to run it the correct way, off full manifold vacuum, but he is still in the hospital, and can't respond. Can someone here post or send them to this fellow, so he can get his modified correctly, and the stumble fixed?

Basically, Dave shows you how to stop the vacuum advance pull plate at either 8 or 10 crank degrees, so the vacuum advance won't over time the engine when it is put onto full manifold vacuum. It isn't hard to do, a simple plate and two small screws/bolts.

As far as parts Dave uses, stock cap and rotor, stock vacuum advance for the points distributors, HEI module is from the first HEI GM produced, made from 1975 thru 1981, called a "4 pin" module, magnetic pickup is the only non-regular auto parts store part, it is one from an MSD p/n 8466-1, from any speed shop, not expensive, not hard to get. Coils he uses are also from local parts store sources.

I have over 40 of his conversions in my project cars so fars, and am waiting for winter, and Dave to get back on his feet, for 5 more from him, I simply will not use anyone else for my ignition system work.

Regards,

Milton
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 09, 10:03 AM
Senior Tech
John

Try MSD

http://www.msdignition.com/Products/...stributor.aspx

John

69 Coupe: Forged Hydraulic Roller 383, Holley HP 750 DP, AFR195s, RPM Air Gap, Borg Warner T-56, Hooker Super Comp 1.75", Ford 9" with custom Moser axels, 3.89 Posi, MSD digital 6, Hotchkis springs, 4WDB, [email protected] on bald Nitto 555's
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 09, 11:39 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Dean

Garage

http://www.performancedistributors.com/gmtripower.htm

Davis performance (DUI) Tri-Power small body HEI distributor
$299.0

Fathom Green 69 RS Z/28 DZ302
And a few Hot Rods

The Camaro

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Hot Rods

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 09, 07:28 PM

My advice is still to hold out for Dave's work, well worth any wait. I've sampled the others, and won't use them. Just my opinion, from hands on experience.

Regards,

Milton
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 09, 03:45 PM
Senior Tech

I installed Dave's Small Body HEI in my 69 many years ago and it is still working flawlessly. I couldn't be happier with it. I also replaced the resistance wire with a white cloth covered wire that I got from an appliance repair store. It looks identical to the original and gives a full 12v.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 09, 07:25 PM
Senior Tech

Like everyone has said Dave is hard to get a hold of and he has had a few health problems. If you can't wait, search ebay for small body HEI. There's a guy on there who sells something very similar to what Dave sells. I see it there periodically. At the same time, Dave is a quality guy and gives mounds of instructions.

EricE
68 Butternut Yellow
SS Coupe 396/325
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 09, 07:46 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

I've heard great things about Dave's work, but it still makes me nervous to hang the module under the distributor out in the weather. I drive my car, it gets dirty, and I've been known to hose my engine compartment down with gunk engine bright and then hit it with the pressure washer for ten minutes or so. I don't think Dave's dizzy could take that.

I used an MDS 8360 for years, it always treated me right. For 300 clams it better.

My current dizzy is a chinese made ebay special for $49 and guess what, it works every bit as good as anything else I've ever used. This is a late model computer controlled unit with a 7 wire module, works with efi.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 19th, 09, 07:53 AM

I have two International Harvester Travel All's, and a Ford Bronco with Dave's conversions, ALL of them have what he refers to as "remote module" distributors, with the HEI module placed on an aluminum adapter plate, and positioned on the top of the inlet manifold, right out in the muck and mire. I drive one of the IH's and the Ford all over the place, and into muddy, sandy, just plain bad areas, and pressure wash them as well, and so far, a combined 27 years of service, adding all 3 systems together, NO FAILURES, NOT ONE. My girlfriend drives the other IH, and if it ever stopped, I'd never hear the end of it. It had a lesser system in it when I got it years ago, and one day, it failed, and she went ballistic. She told me to get her a vehicle that didn't break, and I did so, with Dave's help.

Now, I am very biased in favor of Dave's systems, and used to "hang out" at Dave's shop when he still lived in So. Cal. I have even helped with some small operations and shipping for him when he got really busy. I am probably the biggest user of Dave's small body HEI's, having over 40 of them in my car collection, and Dave has been a personal friend for a lot of years. All that said, I'd wait for the innovator, the guy that figured it all out, and still builds his systems, each one, by hand, IgnitionMan. Everything else I have seen from other manufacturers just seem to me to be a lesser copy of what he does. I'll wait for the original in this case, I don't want a lesser copy.

I just contacted Dave a couple of days ago, and he is still going throuth treatment for his lung. Three times a week, doctors put a needle into his lung at the bottom, and a tube in from the air passage, and partially fill the lung with some sort of saline solution mixed with anti-biotics, then, suction the whole mess out through the tube. It really doesn't sound like anything I would want to experience, and I work in the prescription drug business, as the prescription drug buyer manager for a very large, nationally known drug store chain.

Regards,

Milton
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode