Tail light portion of AAW harness - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 09, 03:12 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Tail light portion of AAW harness

I updated my blog with this post this morning, and thought I'd post it here as well, since many of you have already installed this harness.

Started working on the AAW harness. Discovered a problem with that yesterday. My car is an RS/SS, so I have to use the "Non-RS" version of the wiring diagram, since my backup lights are NOT in the brake/turn signal assemtly, and are instead down below the bumper. While AAW provides the lamp socket for the backup lights, I can't see where they provide the connectors?...so I'll hopefully have time to call them today. Maybe I just missed it in the wiring diagrams.
The other thing I'm having trouble with is fitting the new lamp sockets into the old housings. Seems like no matter how hard I push them in, I can't get them in far enough to twist/lock. Is that just me?...something else I need to ask them on the phone.

Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 09, 04:08 AM
Kevin

Re: Tail light portion of AAW harness

Jim, since your car has the RS option you SHOULD have ordered the RS taillight harnesses. That harness omits the backup socket and provides a pigtail. Also, the bulbs had 2 un-equal depth nibs, make sure the deep one is going on the correct slot. This is to make sure the correct filiment goes to the proper circuit.

Kevin

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 09, 04:32 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Kevin,
Thanks for the reply. I ordered the complete harness from them after explaining that my car was an RS/SS, so I think I have the correct kit. The instruction sheet shows on one side the wire on the "harness" side getting a spade, and the kit has the plastic bulb holder, but I don't see where it has the spades that snap inside the holder to connect with the bulb.
Also, I didn't explain my fitment issue. it's not getting the bulb into the socket, I got that figured out, it's getting the bulb socket INTO the lense housing. There are 3 metal pieces on the bulb socked that "lock" the socket in when you twist it. I can't get the socket in far enough to twist it and lock it into place. I know it's new, so would fit tight, but seems like it's too tight, and I don't want ot break anything
I'll give it another shot later today...

Jim

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 09, 06:43 AM
Kevin

Jim, Ah The metal tabs only go in one way and then twist. If you have the metal tabs aligned with the correct slots in the housing and it is still not going in, then either bend the tabs inward or relieve the housing. I guess the newness of the sockets are the cause here.

On the harness the backup socket should have a wire ending in a connector (female I think) at both of the backup socket locations (in between the stop lamps). Also the RS harness had stop and park in both the outboard and inboard lamps, non-RS only had park in the inboard lamps.

Give AAW a call, they should admit their stocking error and replace the the harness with an RS version. Luck!

Kevin

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 09, 08:31 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Kevin,
Good idea on the tabs...will check on that tonight.
I may have solved the issue with the backup lights, as I decided to order new assemblies. Mine has a lot of pitting in the chrome housing, and it's amazing how many things I'm finding that didn't look that bad before, that I just can't bring myself to put them back on with the new paint job.

Jim
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 09, 09:20 AM
Kevin

Jim, I meant to say, align the metal tabs with the slots, push the whole socket into the housing and then twist the socket. don't twist the metal tabs

The backup lights have the male counterpart of the connector and a rubber grommet for sealing the hole in the trunk pan. If your harness does not have the corresponding backup wire connectors, you will still have a problem.

I know what you mean about a new paint job. I too had parts that I thought were "good enough" until you go to mount them, and then YUK!

Kevin

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 09, 10:00 AM
Senior Tech
Barry

Send a message via AIM to barryfrise Send a message via Yahoo to barryfrise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobstah View Post
I updated my blog with this post this morning, and thought I'd post it here as well, since many of you have already installed this harness.

Started working on the AAW harness. Discovered a problem with that yesterday. My car is an RS/SS, so I have to use the "Non-RS" version of the wiring diagram, since my backup lights are NOT in the brake/turn signal assemtly, and are instead down below the bumper. While AAW provides the lamp socket for the backup lights, I can't see where they provide the connectors?...so I'll hopefully have time to call them today. Maybe I just missed it in the wiring diagrams.
The other thing I'm having trouble with is fitting the new lamp sockets into the old housings. Seems like no matter how hard I push them in, I can't get them in far enough to twist/lock. Is that just me?...something else I need to ask them on the phone.

Jim
You don't say what year your car is or what AAW kit you are using? I have a standard 69 coupe and am using the AAW Classic Update kit, and I happened to be working on the rear harness last night. The update kit contains what's needed for both standard and RS/SS cars, and the instruction sheets are written for both. If you're using the update kit and have an RS, then I'm not sure why you'd want to use the non-RS instructions? The RS instructions mention using terminals N and J with connector H (two H's, one for each side), but no socket, so you must not be using the update kit as you said you have sockets. Of interest to you is that my instructions have a note saying that some of the socket indexing is slightly different from stock and may need some minor socket modifications to fit, so I guess that's not uncommon for some of the AAW kits. I'm sure a call to AAW will clear it all up for you.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 09, 11:19 AM
Kevin

dup post

Kevin

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 09, 11:21 AM
Kevin

Jim has a 69 according to his blog title

Kevin

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 09, 04:13 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Sorry for not specifying the year...thought that was in my sig at one time...musta changed it.
And yes, I'm using the Classic Update Series kit. For the rear body kit, 500734, there is a sheet of instructions that is printed on both sides, one for RS cars, the other for non-RS.
For the RS car, it says connect the green wire to an N-style and a J-style terminal. I'm good with that, so far. My kit also included the plastic/bakalyte lamp socket that matches the one on my old original harness for the backup lights. What's missing is the connectors that go INSIDE the plastic lamp housings, and the wiring up to the right hand side of the H blocks.
I looked at my old sockets, and the terminal that's used accepts the base of the bulb. I don't have anything like that in my terminal bag.
As I said, it's not a big issue, since I ordered new backup light assemblies. Just seemed strange that they're some complete on everything else, but I couldn't make that one come together.

Jim
69 RS/SS non-clone Super Red, official 2010 Camaro Color
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 09, 06:41 PM
Senior Tech
Barry

Send a message via AIM to barryfrise Send a message via Yahoo to barryfrise

Yeah, I checked your profile for car info before I posted but didn't see anything, and I didn't realize the site had a blog feature. I thought your blog must be somewhere else not specified, but now I know!

The way I interpret the instructions I think the supplied backup socket is only for non-RS cars. For RS cars you're supposed to plug connector H into your original connector leading to the socket. Take a look at the pictures on sheet 1 and 2 for the difference. You'll notice that the non-RS instructions say to use socket B (backup light socket), but the RS instuctions do not have socket B listed. They may look similar but be different, and maybe that's why it doesn't fit?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode