Should I replace the factory harness or not. - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 09, 02:51 AM Thread Starter
Christopher

Should I replace the factory harness or not.

Been looking over the wires to my harness for a little while now. Other than a couple of connectors needing replaced and it being tangled to *bleep*. Over all its not in bad shape. Other than a new radio and your basic aftermarket gauges(oil,temp,tach) the car will never have anything else added to it, it has no power anything and only a heater no A/C. Think I'd be alright brushing up the fuze box, replace the connectors that are worn, and untagling the wires a little while adding tape and/or some heat sheild to'em?????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 09, 04:04 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Fred

Re: Should I replace the factory harness or not.

I would just get a new harness and replace all that 40 year old wiring.
It will probably save you some trouble later on.

1969 Camaro SS, 350(NOM), M21, 12 Bolt Posi, 01B LOS Build
1977 Camaro, 350(LM1), M20, 10 Bolt Posi, Purchased New, (SOLD)
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 09, 04:20 AM
Kevin

I have been unwrapping and restoring all my harnesses. I am glad I did. The underdash and engine comp ones were beat up and had bare wires showing. luckily I had extra harnesses and was able to cut and splice the correct wires back in to correct it. If you dont have spares, you should buy new.

Kevin

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 09, 05:03 AM
Senior Tech
Dan

Also if you utilize headlight relays that takes a load off of your main power up wire to fuse block, check www.madelectrical.com he has some good write ups and ways to improve power distribution. You should really pay attention to your engine harness by the horn relay and the wires and fusible links, battery junction block on the radiator support those are really potential trouble spots. good luck and work safe!

68 camaro RS 327/275 THM350 4 wheel disc brake 8.5 10 bolt 3.42 daily driver
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 09, 09:20 AM
Senior Tech
Lex

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77thor View Post
I would just get a new harness and replace all that 40 year old wiring.
It will probably save you some trouble later on.
Take this guys advise. My high and low beam button on the floor was loose and it almost cost my whole car with new engine to go up in flames. I took it in and had to do lots of wiring repairs because of what it burned out and it cost me $670.00 dollars. I'd do it all new.

68 Camaro / 400 ci / 3.73 10 /
Edelbrock Performer Series 600 cfm no. 14054
Edelbrock Performer EPS Intake Manifold 27014

98 GMC Suburban / 454 V8 / K2500 4x4

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 09, 01:30 PM Thread Starter
Christopher

I'm just gonna replace it for a new one, but which one Painless or Classic update???? they both look about the same but which one is the better quality, leaning more towards the Classic update. What yall think? http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PRF-20101/ http://www.route66supply.com/store/page114.html
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 09, 03:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qb1968 View Post
I'm just gonna replace it for a new one, but which one Painless or Classic update???? they both look about the same but which one is the better quality, leaning more towards the Classic update. What yall think? http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PRF-20101/ http://www.route66supply.com/store/page114.html
Check out M&H Electric Fabricators, www.wiringharness.com.

They really make exact replacement harnesses.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 09, 08:28 AM
Senior Tech
Timothy

My wiring came to me in a ball. I also purchased another ball of wires off ebay. Between the 2 harnesses I was able to peice together one good one. Its not impossible but you have to inspect what you have and fix whats damaged. I also purchased a wiring diagram from ebay. I think you can still get it for free here on TC but you cant print the free version.

My 69 RS/SS 396 Project -

"I may be dumb but I aint stupid"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode