Wiring Summit Mini Starter - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 09, 09:12 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Rick

Wiring Summit Mini Starter

I want to open this post by appologizing for asking this question again. I have read numerous post about wiring but I need a visual.

1 solenoid with wire to starter...
2 tab on top solenoid
3 tab.

I have MSD 6AL to attach.
I have AAW harnesses.

So...Battery (+) to number 3? MSD power to 3? 12v red from AAW Dash to 3?
Purple solenoid from Dash to 2? Nothing to 1?

My goal is not to start but to turn motor over so I can make sure the starter and flywheel engage properly, that the ignition switch is working. Just want to test each system as I hook it up.

Rick
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cnv0018.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	11791  

Rick
68 project...reassembly starting: (383, AFR 195, Air Gap, Comp Cam XR276HR, 1.6 CC Gold rollers, Holley 750, 4/09) (TKO 600 conversion from T350 4/09) (floor pan restored 6/09). (12 bolt 3.73, Wilwood disc, Hotchkis TVS 7/09), Dougs 368 with Big Dog mufflers (9/09), 383 fired up 9/30/09, Candy Apple Red 2012 with white RallyBee stripe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 09, 09:33 PM
Senior Tech

Re: Wiring Summit Mini Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukemd66 View Post
2 tab on top solenoid
3 tab.

I have AAW harnesses.

Rick
That all sounds good enough, however I do not know what the MSD wants.
It will have power all the time the way you have it drawn, if it needs switched power you need to get it from the fuse box.

Same for the aaw wiring harness.

But that said, if you just want to check to see if the starter turns, I would leave the MSD power off. Just to insure that the engine does not fire.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 09, 06:07 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukemd66 View Post
I want to open this post by appologizing for asking this question again. I have read numerous post about wiring but I need a visual.

2 tab on top solenoid
3 tab.

I have AAW harnesses.

My goal is not to start but to turn motor over so I can make sure the starter and flywheel engage properly, that the ignition switch is working. Just want to test each system as I hook it up.

Rick
Your doing it like they say to do it, I know the AAW wiring kit says to put all the HOT wires off that #3 terminal & the ignition wants a direct power feed also.

I am currently wiring my new engine up and also using a aaw update wiring kit, and a cd ignition box. However I also did a battery relocation and moved it out back to the trunk. I am trying to go with a clean underhood look and am hiding all the wiring as best possible.

I only ran 1 power wire to my starter and the purple from the wiring kit. I ran the rest of the hot wires over to a junction box on the core support. I have had bad luck with starter heat soaking in the past, etc... so I want to has as litle wiring down there as possible. Not to mention it looks cleaner and is easier to work on this way also.

On a related but different note....
Have you test fit your headers/exhaust yet with that start on there? I have one of the mini starters that allows you to roate it on the mounting base, and if I tried to mount mine like yours looks it would hit the headers i nthat position. I had to rotate it so the solinoid was in closer to the engine.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 09, 07:28 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Rick

Jeff
I have not test fit my headers. They should arrive (dougs 368) soon. My starter can also be rotated.
Let me ask you a question ( or someone) when I plugged the ignition switch that came with the AAW set I noticed that the ground prong from the ignition does not connect to any wire on the plug. On the harness set there is a ground connection but nothing to the switch.

I have not done something right. When I have the wires connected as above and turn the key....nothing. Not even a solenoid click. It is a brand new battery. The battery is ground to the block. Block to frame frame to body.

Rick

Rick
68 project...reassembly starting: (383, AFR 195, Air Gap, Comp Cam XR276HR, 1.6 CC Gold rollers, Holley 750, 4/09) (TKO 600 conversion from T350 4/09) (floor pan restored 6/09). (12 bolt 3.73, Wilwood disc, Hotchkis TVS 7/09), Dougs 368 with Big Dog mufflers (9/09), 383 fired up 9/30/09, Candy Apple Red 2012 with white RallyBee stripe
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 09, 05:20 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jeff

Not having a wiring diagram near by at the moment so...

Ignition circuit has 3 positions battery, ignition, acc. and 1 for ground. I ground mine to the dash, but am not at the cranking stage so dunno if mine will turn over.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 09, 09:03 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Rick

With the help of AAW (Don?) my problem was I did not bypass my neutral safely switch. Once I bypassed it by twisting the 2 purple wires together it turned right over. Hooked up the neutral safety switch and it turned over.

As far as the ground on the switch with the AAW harness it is not needed. There is a ground on the harness it self.

Rick

Rick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode