Turn signals and brakes together blows fuse - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 09, 07:30 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Rich

Turn signals and brakes together blows fuse

I know this is not something that can be diagnosed from a distance, but maybe someone can give me a place to start. I rewired my 67 Camaro with an EZ wiring kit (this is the third car I've done with EZ). I thought I got everything right, but I blow the brake light fuse if the turn signal is on at the same time.

It doesn't blow right away, it takes two or three uses. There is sometimes a small puff of smoke from the turn signal switch when it is switched on while the brake lights are on. Both the brake lights and the turn signals function normally when they are not on at the same time.

I removed the turn signal fuse, and the brake light fuse still blows. (!) I tested the rear wiring (RT green, LT yellow), and neither shows continuity to ground. The headlight switch and the ignition switch are not tightened into the dash. It has a tilt steering column that was supposed to be rebuilt with a new turn signal switch (I don't know if any of this matters, but I hope more information is better).

Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 09, 07:58 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Gary

Re: Turn signals and brakes together blows fuse

I have problems with my turn signals working with brakes on at the same time. Things go screwey. I dont blow any fuses though. Its my signal switch in the column that causes all my grief.. If I wiggle it while the signal is on and stepping on the brake, it sometimes works fine till I stop messing with the signal lever. I have a new ididit column but didnt get around to replacing it yet (winter project). Hope this helps point you in the right direction. Good luck

Gary

67 RS Resto-Mod 468 5 spd TKO600 3.73 12 bolt (work in progress but finally on the road!)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

73 Camaro project in a million pieces
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 09, 08:38 PM
Tech Team
aaron

Hi Rich, i had a similar problem with my 67. I used an american autowire kit and new turn signal switch. Mine would blow the fuse for the brake lights when i used the turn signals sporadically. Finally after a month or so of this happening, i tried tracing all the wires making sure none were exposed etc, then i pulled the steering wheel one day and while i was sitting in the driver seat in the driveway at dusk, i put my foot on the brake and turned on the turn signal and pop i saw a very faint spark where the turn signal switch would actually touch the inside of the steering column. Only happened when i had my foot on the brake and turned on the turn signal. I don't know if the aftermarket turn signal switches are just a hair bigger than the stock ones or if i had just somehow had mine misaligned a little. Maybe you are having the same problem. Hope this helps, Aaron

67 camaro RS now. Ls1 & 6 speed, 8.5 rear. Still in the garage

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 09, 09:05 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Rich

I'll check the switch. Thanks for the info.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode