Installed retro-electro RS light motors - Mad as H#LL - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 09, 06:55 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Matt

Unhappy Installed retro-electro RS light motors - Mad as H#LL

I am not very happy right now at all. I installed the Retro-Electro RS light cover motor kit and it seems one motor (passenger side) is doing everything backwards. When you turn on the lights, the cover will close. When you turn off lights the cover will open. The other side (drivers’ side) is working just fine. The motors come with control module boxes and it is very important to put them on the correct sides. Per instructions, I put the one marked with a "D" on the driver's side and the one marked with a "P" on the passenger’s side. I am willing to bet that the "P" module is marked wrong and should have marked as "D" module. So my kit came with two "D" modules hence the problem.

I can only hope I am wrong and I did something stupid but the install is pretty much straight forward. I worked 3 nights on this and now I am going have to take crap apart, unsolder wiring, ship stuff back, be out of commission for another week, etc...

If anyone has any ideas or wants to laugh at me because I made some [email protected]$$ mistake, please don’t hold back.

Calling them tomorrow and I am pretty sure I will blow a fuse. Thank God they are closed tonight as I am sure I’ll calm myself down by tomorrow morning.

Matt

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 09, 07:05 PM
Senior Tech
sonny

Re: Installed retro-electro RS light motors - Mad as H#LL

can you switch the leads around on the motor that works backwards? when replaced mine with the grainger style motors. i had to switch the passenger side wires, to make it work.............. sonny

67 RS/SS with matching engine, tranny.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 09, 07:14 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67ssrs350 View Post
can you switch the leads around on the motor that works backwards? when replaced mine with the grainger style motors. i had to switch the passenger side wires, to make it work.............. sonny
Do you mean switch the ground lead with the power lead? This would mean connect the ground/black wire to a power source and the power/red wire to a groud source?

Matt

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 09, 07:56 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
David

Matt
I was going to suggest the same thing.....I recently installed a friends Fish locator on his boat and couldn't get it to work. Finally bit the bullet....squinted and switched the polarity and worked great. Obviously the person that put it together wired it wrong. To be on the safe side see if you can call the manufacturer and see if they don't think it would fry the motor....of course if you return it who cares

68 coupe ,572,tko
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 09, 08:02 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Matt

I am hoping it's as simple as that but before I do that I will call them first just to make sure I don't fry the motor. Trying to avoid having to send the motor and the control module back as the control module will be somewhat easier to take off.

Matt

post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 09, 08:51 PM
Senior Tech
Andy

Give them a call. I installed mine with no problems and they work great!

67 R/S convertible Nantucket blue deluxe interior orig.

67 rs-ss coupe 565BB-400turbo streetcar/racer project 1.43 60ft 9.683 140.91

post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 09, 10:53 PM
Tech Team
Shawn

Mine work great too.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 09, 11:18 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Matt

Just took it all apart as I knew I would not able to sleep anyway. I double checked to make sure I did have a "P" marked module on the passenger side and I do indeed. Also wanted to check if there was any way to accidentally connect the plug on the motor leads with/to the plug on the module leads incorrectly (reversed). There is no way to do that as the plugs will only come together one way. So it ain't something obvious and dumb on my part (at least not yet). It's got to be a wrong marked module...that "D" got turned into "P" somehow.... which could be the case if you are a sloppy writer and when making a "D" you "round up" too early by not coming down all the way with the round part or belly part of the "D" and you end up with a "P".

I think I can maybe sleep now ...
Beers for sure tomorrow …

Crap it is tomorrow already! Goodnight.

Matt

post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 09, 11:38 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Matt

One more thing...This looks interesting (see pic)...

Matt

post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 09, 04:31 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Andrew

Matt-

Switch those wires and you are probably good-to-go. I found the wires swapped on one of the parking lights on the front of my car. One stayed bright all the time and flashed at the dimmer level. Swapped the wires in the connector and it's worked correctly since. Hope your solution is as easy as that.

Skunk Works
302DZ, M22W Muncie, GV overdrive,12-Bolt Rear 3.73
Some photos:

Member # 159
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 09, 05:12 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve O.

About 15 years ago on another car I was building the wires were switched around even though it would plug in ONLY one way.......I switched the wires after pulling my hair out for DAYS and it worked perfectly.

67' Vert RS Tremec TKO- Eaton 3:55- 350 cu.- L98 heads-Vintage Air- Torque Thrust-BFG.g-force 4-wheel disc.
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 09, 06:21 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Tom

Mark from retro-electro posts here. (Marktat, I think). I'm sure he will help you. But judging by the photo, if the other side looks different and works correctly, I'd say you've most likely found the problem.

'67 rs - ordered new by my Grandfather
327 L30, K-K, Deluxe int, tach & gauges, 12 bolt posi, 4 speed.

-
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 09, 07:16 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Matt

Thanks everyone! And yes, I did find the problem. Just heard back from Mark as I called and emailed him last night but before I found the wire mismatch issue. Sure enough here is his response and a link as to how to fix this. I don't mind redoing stuff because of my own mistakes but I do get ticked off when I pay someone $500 and have redo stuff because of their slop. Thanks for letting me vent.

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: Installed motors but having issues...Please help (car show this weekend)
Date: Fri, 4 Sep 2009 08:19:57 -0400

This is a simple fix. The wire leads are backwards in one side of the gray motor connector. To fix this issue disconnect the motor from the control box and swap the leads in ONE side of the connectors. This will reverse the polarity of the motor and fix the issue. pull the orange plug out of the connector and If you look carefully at the connectors you will see that one side is marked 1 and the other side has a 2, swap the wires and you should be ready to go. Here is a instructions regarding the plug.

http://www.laddinc.com/howto-dtm.aspx

Sorry for the inconvenience. Please call me again if you have any problems.

Mark

Matt

post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 09, 08:46 AM
Team Member
Christropher

Easy Matt, it looks like a simple mistake, although I understand how fustrating it's been working on it. Mark with Retro-Electro has been a long time member here, and even before he started selling his products, he was here helping folks out, and has been since.

Let's not hurt a company's reputation over one mistake. Mark's a good guy from what I can tell by my previous conversations with him. Really glad you got it worked out too.

Christropher

...in pieces still.

MrDanB - "Don't worry about Mr.Wilcox...He has that incurable disease of thinking that they only made the Camaro in '67
"
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 09, 09:08 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Matt

I hear ya clwilcox33 and yes Mark does seem like a nice guy as I did talk to him a couple of times and he was very helpful and willing to offer future help. In the end I am sure I will be very happy with the product and ultimately will send referrals his way. Emotion and frustration tend to fly high in the middle of the night when you've been working really hard for a couple days.

It's all good as I can never be mad at another camaro lover/owner and deep inside I am one of the nicest people out there (but even nice people get frustrated once in a while).

I took pics thought out the installation and will document (without emotions ) the install under a new post so others with the same kit have a good supplemental reference.

Cheers

Matt

Last edited by zlek131; Sep 4th, 09 at 09:28 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode