Short in the system - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 09, 02:06 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
John

Short in the system

I was driving around today thinking finally I've got the car working when my radio started to turn off and then on. This happened about the same time that I could hear crackling from what I thought was a bad connection coming from somewhere under the dash. When I pulled into the garage to troubleshoot I found that the switch to my nitrous no longer worked nor did my courtesy/dome lights or lighter. I looked in the fuse box and the courtesy light fuse was blown. I replaced it but as soon as I touched the fuse to the contacts it popped immediately.

I have no idea where to begin on this one. DO you think that it could be a bad ground? How do I go about trying to troubleshoot this one? Thanks guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 09, 04:21 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Fred

Re: Short in the system

You need to isolate the problem.... disconnect as much as possible from that circuit and then add them back one at a time until the symptoms reappear.
It's a PITA, especially if you don't know whats all is on that circuit, but it's really the only way to do it.

1969 Camaro SS, 350(NOM), M21, 12 Bolt Posi, 01B LOS Build
1977 Camaro, 350(LM1), M20, 10 Bolt Posi, Purchased New, (SOLD)
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 09, 07:22 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
John

Thanks for the advice. I had a look again this evening and really have no idea what to think. Can anyone lend a hand or recommend an auto electrician here in St. Louis? I have learned a lot in the short time that I've owned my Camaro, but I am lost with this one. Thanks guys.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 09, 09:02 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
John

I must have a loose wire somewhere. I tried repolacing the fue 2 times on Friday but it popped instantly. I gave up, drove the car a bit and parked it. TOday, I wanted to verify that my nitrous system was on the same circuit as the courtessy lights by trying another fuse just to see if the light turns on breify before it blow.... but everything was fine! The fuse didn't blow! So, I guess that I need to find the loose connection. Could this be a bad ground?
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 09, 09:16 AM
Senior Tech
Scott

Popping fuses means a short in that circuit. Loose wire, worn through casing, etc. Yes it is a pain but you will have to start digging. Process of elimination.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 09, 09:20 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

You dont have a lose connection. If the fuse blows then you have a dead short. But it is going away since you put a fuse in and it did not blow.

You have a wire that is cut or pinched that is touching ground somewhere in that circuit. You will have to trace all the wires in that circuit to see if they are cut somewhere. You also need a electrical drawing for your car so you know what colors are in that circuit.

Mike
69 Camaro Prostreet - purple w/ghost flames , 502 w/ 871 blower

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 09, 09:30 AM
Senior Tech
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauron67MM View Post
Popping fuses means a short in that circuit. Loose wire, worn through casing, etc. Yes it is a pain but you will have to start digging. Process of elimination.
My apologies for being vague. A "live" loose wire coming into contact with ground causing a short.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 09, 10:22 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
John

Thanks guys, I had a look around again, but there is much aftermarket crap on the car that nothing corresponds to the original wiring diagram.

A side question, for you nirous guys, is it normal to have the nitrous system wired into the courtesy light/lighter? It just seems weird that it would be wired into a "Always on" power source.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 09, 01:41 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
John

I found the culprit.. I think....
I found this live wire just hanging above the glove box. It was shorting lots of things out. I haven't had the issue return after closing this live wire up. Anyone know that this could be? There were lots of old wiring harneses back there that weren't being used. They must have been from the old stereo/AC unit.

Also, does anyone know how hot the dome light sholud get? My bulb got so hot that it melted the enclosure and the plastic cover!

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 09, 04:45 PM
Senior Tech

First off - good work finding the short. More often than not, people will use the phrase "short" to describe an open circuit. Looks like you had a bonafide short.

I've got that same mystery plug in my 68. Mine has a transparent plastic housing around it. I think someone said it was part of an A/C option (though my car didn't have A/C). Perhaps someone here will know.

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 10, 08:40 AM
DT
Gold Lifetime Member
Donny

Garage

glove box light connection.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 10, 08:48 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Harry

yes glove box light 12 volt power connection.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

434 stroker
US Navy retired

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode