Vacuum Advance Setting on HEI Distibutor - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 09, 08:58 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Rob

Send a message via AIM to robe9000
Vacuum Advance Setting on HEI Distibutor

I have an 85 Series Mallory HEI wired to a HyFire 6A box. I'm adjusting the vacuum advance using an allen wrench inserted into the nipple on the vacuum module. Is there a good rule of thumb to use when doing this? Like, 3 turns counter clockwise from fully tightened or is it just major trial and error?

Thanks!

robe9000
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

----------------------------------------
'69 SS350 Cortez Silver • Black Stripes
New TH350, 383 Vortec Stroker, E-brock 178 cc Aluminm Heads
E-brock Air Gap Manifold, Mallory, Holley yada yada

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 09, 09:20 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Re: Vacuum Advance Setting on HEI Distibutor

Run a forum search...there are detailed instructions on VA and setting up centadvance etc

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 09, 04:06 PM
Senior Tech

There is a lot of trial and error in addition to different parts affecting the personality of the motor as far as timing is concerned.

One thing I did was measure my manifold vacuum level at idle. I then used a hand vacuum pump connected to the advance can to advance the ignition with the engine running.. I tweaked the can to be full on at about 5" below my idle vacuum speed (12"Hg in my case). I also limited the stroke of the advance lever so I had about 22" of idle advance (base advance of about 12* + 10* vacuum). I'm sure your settings will be different, but the technique will help you get it tweaked. Timing light and a vacuum guage required (hand vacuum pump even better).

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 09, 12:37 AM
Senior Tech
Steps

If you go to far below the idle..when u load the engine part throttle the VA doest cut out early enough , the curve is over advanced at that piont ping detonation even if not audable...and loss of power.
In most cases even 1" above idle vac is fine..because the engine fires, the VA kicks in, advances, the vac goes up...as it goes up it pulls on the VA more and so on..
The savest because of cam differences etc etc, it is best to put at idle vac with no va attached or 1 " below to 'make sure.

Unless one FULLY understands how the cent, how the VA works AND interrelates between the 2 do not mess with it...over advance, even at cruise kills slowly more engines than anything else...but other stuff usually gets blamed...including the engine builder. Engine builder hate ppl who tu tu with stuff they have little or no idea what they are doing.

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
advance, hei, mallory, vacuum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode