Starter shields ? - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 09, 08:03 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Lex

Starter shields ?

Howdy camaro people. I am replacing my starter since i believe it burned out as my car won't turn on and my guess it's the the starter. I wanted to know how many people use a shield on their starters ? I had problems with starters burning out in my skylark and my firebird and now my 68 Camaro. They seem to be to close to the headers or im my case the exhaust pipe. I purchased one yesterday and was going to put it on the weekend but i am thinking i should buy a shield and needed some advise on which shields are best and wondering what u guys use.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

68 Camaro / 400 ci / 3.73 10 /
Edelbrock Performer Series 600 cfm no. 14054
Edelbrock Performer EPS Intake Manifold 27014

98 GMC Suburban / 454 V8 / K2500 4x4

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 09, 08:51 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

Garage
Re: Starter shields ?

You are better off going to a mini starter and a thermal wrap if the headers are still close to the starter. I switched to mini starters years ago. No more problems.

Starter - http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PWM-9000/?image=large

Wrap - http://www.summitracing.com/parts/TH...0/?image=large

'69 Camaro - 429 SBC Dart Iron Eagle 9.325" block, Crower crank, Crower 6" billet rods, Ross pistons (10:1), Total Seal rings, AFR 245 heads, T&D steel body shaft rockers, Cloyes Timing set, custom ground 4-7 swap solid roller 274/286 @ .050" with .704" lift, Dart single plane, Holley Dominator EFI on E85, Injector Dynamics ID2000 Injectors, Stef's #1705R oil pan, F2 Procharger, Lemons 2" primary 4" collector, ATI 9" blower converter
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 09, 02:28 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Lex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve69SS396 View Post
You are better off going to a mini starter and a thermal wrap if the headers are still close to the starter. I switched to mini starters years ago. No more problems.

Starter - http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PWM-9000/?image=large

Wrap - http://www.summitracing.com/parts/TH...0/?image=large
Wow i had looked at a mini starter but i was not sure i can do it because i never done one like that before. Where is it mounted ? I was going to wait to get some info on this but the Autozone i went to only had one starter left for my car, so i had to buy it. It is life time guarantee but i'd much rather have put this one on. Do you have a pix of where yours is located ? Thanks

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 09, 02:46 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

Garage

Lex - A mini starter bolts to the same location as a stock starter. The wiring is slightly different. Mini's only have 2 wires, stock starters have 3. Here is a pic of the one on my big block El Camino.

'69 Camaro - 429 SBC Dart Iron Eagle 9.325" block, Crower crank, Crower 6" billet rods, Ross pistons (10:1), Total Seal rings, AFR 245 heads, T&D steel body shaft rockers, Cloyes Timing set, custom ground 4-7 swap solid roller 274/286 @ .050" with .704" lift, Dart single plane, Holley Dominator EFI on E85, Injector Dynamics ID2000 Injectors, Stef's #1705R oil pan, F2 Procharger, Lemons 2" primary 4" collector, ATI 9" blower converter
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 09, 03:32 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave

It's probably the solenoid that is the problem. Does it start cold and just have the problem after you've driven it awhile? If so, you can install a remote solenoid away from the heat. That solved all my start problems, but you may have people accuse you of having a ford part on your car. You can find them at most of the parts places like summit or jegs.

Dave

all gave some
MY SON GAVE ALL

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 09, 04:02 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Lex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve69SS396 View Post
Lex - A mini starter bolts to the same location as a stock starter. The wiring is slightly different. Mini's only have 2 wires, stock starters have 3. Here is a pic of the one on my big block El Camino.

Your starter is just like mines, right next to the exhaust or headers. I am starting to wonder if that is really my problem.

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 09, 04:02 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Lex

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68DaveV View Post
It's probably the solenoid that is the problem. Does it start cold and just have the problem after you've driven it awhile? If so, you can install a remote solenoid away from the heat. That solved all my start problems, but you may have people accuse you of having a ford part on your car. You can find them at most of the parts places like summit or jegs.
Nope it won't start at all. I live in hot weather, it'a always 100 or 100+ .

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 09, 07:57 AM
Senior Tech
Russ

Lex,

What makes you think it's burned out ? Does it turn over at all, do you hear any click from the solenoid... ?

If it cranks slowly it could be loose electrical connections, bad grounds between the battery, block, and chassis, incorrect shimming, or simply a battery without enough voltage.

If you hear a click and nothing else it could be all of the above plus could be a stuck solenoid. You can try tapping on it with a block of wood and a hammer and see if it starts.

In my 71 Firebird I used to think I was "burning up" starters till a wise old man with just enough teeth to hold a cigar in his mouth showed me I really just had a ground problem. My negative cable was corroded on the inside. Replaced it and never had another starter problem on that car.

Oh yeah... it's over 100F here much of the summer too

Russ (RJ)
The Garlic Capital, Gilroy,CA

(sold June 15,2014) 1968 RS convertible that is not quite stock

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 09, 08:01 AM
Senior Tech

RJ, Lex had another thread going on this and said the starter just did nothing after it got hot...

https://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=165169

Eric
69 'vert project big block/TKO 600 RR
68 'vert driver RS clone -- gone!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 09, 09:57 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Lex

Quote:
Originally Posted by rj68RS View Post
Lex,

What makes you think it's burned out ? Does it turn over at all, do you hear any click from the solenoid... ?

If it cranks slowly it could be loose electrical connections, bad grounds between the battery, block, and chassis, incorrect shimming, or simply a battery without enough voltage.

If you hear a click and nothing else it could be all of the above plus could be a stuck solenoid. You can try tapping on it with a block of wood and a hammer and see if it starts.

In my 71 Firebird I used to think I was "burning up" starters till a wise old man with just enough teeth to hold a cigar in his mouth showed me I really just had a ground problem. My negative cable was corroded on the inside. Replaced it and never had another starter problem on that car.

Oh yeah... it's over 100F here much of the summer too
I actually checked and played with the electrical before messing with the starter. One bad ground wire which needed replacement and a low batter did it ! It started right up and all is good. I used to hit my old starter in my firebird also a long time ago. Also it worked when i moved the wheel with the teeth and it would start. Some starters are tricky. Thanks

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 09, 11:22 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Quote:
I had problems with starters burning out in my skylark and my firebird and now my 68 Camaro. They seem to be to close to the headers or im my case the exhaust pipe
How do you setup your intial timing...
"burning out starters has nothing to do with heat from headers or anything like that...it is too greater load on the armitures do to too high intial timing over a period of time..
Check the armiture on a growler and u will find dry solder joints

Covered in detail in many old posts.

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode