front marker lamps always on - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 09, 10:45 AM Thread Starter

front marker lamps always on

Hi folks. On the 68, the front marker lamps are always on when the battery is connected. This seems pretty odd since it is on a switched circuit. The rear lamps behave as they should. Maybe coincidentally, the L/R turn signal indicator lamps in the dash both illuminate solid when the headlights are on. Turn signals and flashers work normally.

Am I just looking at a bad ground issue here? The harness is new. I haven't dug into the schematics yet. Just thought I'd check to see if anyone has seen something similar.

Thanks,

Marty
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 09, 02:42 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Re: front marker lamps always on

Could be a misplaced wire at the firewall connector since rears do not come on.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden … enjoy your next chapter.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 09, 09:45 PM
Senior Tech
Gary

I think you have the rare daytime running light option for 68.

69 Camaro convertible 327, TH 350, fully restored, well almost.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 09, 10:35 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Harvard

Bad ground or shorted wire, but I'd bet on the ground. Do you have the short little ground wires that go to the headlight brackets and the ones on the turn signals? These have to be used and they should have a little star washer that goes under them to cut through the paint to get a good ground.

1968 Z28 British Green, all original except CE 302 engine. Have original owners booklet and protect-o-plate.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 09, 09:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Dorion View Post
I think you have the rare daytime running light option for 68.
Heh, heh. I always like it when I can pass off my lack of knowledge as a "special feature."
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 25th, 09, 12:13 PM Thread Starter

OK folks, I'm feeling a bit stumped on this one. Put your thinking caps on and help me out!

The front marker lamps are always on with the battery connected. I fixed a broken ground on the left front directional lamp yesterday that I had optimistically hoped was going to fix it, but no joy. It did fix a couple other weird issues though.

The schematics in the assembly manual haven't been much help. I can see that I have all necessary grounds in place, so I don't think it is a feedback issue.

If I disconnect the black wire from the horn relay, the lamps go out. I also tried various "creative" arrangements for the relay wires, but nothing helped. The relay is definately energizing (not the buzzer) when the wire is connected. Maybe I have the wires in the wrong place? I can't see where they would hook up differently. Anyone have a pic of this?

Thanks,

Marty

BTW: Thanks to your help, the 68 is back on the road after a long hiatus! Just a few issues to resolve before I return it to my (faster) pastor.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 25th, 09, 12:28 PM
Senior Tech
Alan

Well, if it is a misplaced ground, the easy test is to take a DVM and put one end on the light ground and the other end on the neg side of the battery. If the DVM registers, you found your problem. If not, you are going to have to trace the hot wire back to it's source. You will definitely need a wiring diagram.

The diagram will also show you if the hot lead to the light originates at the horn relay (doubtful).

alan
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 25th, 09, 02:11 PM
Senior Tech
Alan

I just looked at a wiring diagram,

https://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=93576

The marker lights, front and rear come off the hot side of the light switch and to a chassis ground. At no point do they get near the horn relay. Something got changed after your car left the factory. Time to start sleuthing!!!

alan
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 25th, 09, 02:23 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for confirming that. I didn't see where the horn relay should have been a player in this either. Incidentally, how many wires should be on the horn relay? I have two large leads, and then small green and a purple (I think, not there to see it at the moment), and the black I mentioned. Did I hook something up there that doesn't belong?
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 25th, 09, 03:54 PM
Senior Tech
Alan

PM Jim and get the password to the schematics. It will make your quest infinitely easier!!

alan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode