Wiper issues - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 09, 02:48 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Matt

Angry Wiper issues

I have a 67 camaro. Picked it up not to long ago. I replaced the wiring harness w/ a painless harness. When I went to see if the wipers work I first realized the wiper transmission was froze up & I think the po didnt know this so he kept trying to use it & broke all but one of the three bolts off that hold the motor to the firewall. Fixed these probs (new wiper transmission and got the old bolts out of the firewall and now have new. Turned the wipers on and got nothing. Ordered a new wiper motor, put it in and now the wipers will only work while the washer is pushed in. Figured this was the switch so I got a new switch and it does the same thing. I now have the original switch back in cuz the new "OER" switch, more like "POS", broke while I was pushing the knob on it (pushed all the guts out the back!). I searched and saw every one refering to this being a ground problem so I took the switch out and grounded the switch housing (wrapped a wire around the housing and then to a ground) and still got the same thing. Before I put the switch back in I filed the inside of the switch hole in the dash so it could make a decent contact if it does ground through the housing but still same thing. Sooooo, in summary, new motor, good switch, new wiring, still poop wipers. Maybe somethings back asswards in the new harness but I doubt it cuz if I flip either of the plugs that go to the motor or the pump it just blows the fuse so pretty sure the wires are right?? The other thing I've noticed is that if I unplug the washer pump and try to use the wipers it will just blow the fuse. I have no idea how to check the wiper system as I dont know how they get their power. Any help is incredibly appreciated, thanx VERY much. (Hope I can still get through this w/ out smashing something!!)

Last edited by mattsk8; Sep 11th, 09 at 03:45 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 09, 08:10 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jeff

Send a message via Yahoo to yellow69RS
Re: Wiper issues

Here is a test diagram but not sure if 67 is the same. I have no idea why it would blow fuse with washer connector off but run with it on.
https://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=42420

Jeff
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 09, 09:00 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Matt

So, if I'm reading this correctly, all the wiper switch does is completes the ground to make the wipers work (low= lt blue ground, & high= black ground) And the one hot wire (yellow) is just a keyed wire? So I should just try a jumper wire from the motor housing to the switch housing and see if this fixes it? Wierd thing is that I know the switch was grounded. I wont be able to play w/ this as Im 4 states away from the car now but I will on monday. I'll just pull the switch and wire it myself and see what I get. If it's the painless harness thats bad I'll be furious cuz this will be the second prob w/ their harness that I've had to fix and not having to deal w/ this crap is the ONLY reason I got it. Thank you for that too btw, that will def let me solve this prob!!

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 09, 11:47 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jeff

Send a message via Yahoo to yellow69RS

You got it! you 'ew on your way to get it fixed. I hope it's not a harness problem but if it is pleasse post the cure here.

Jeff
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 09, 02:13 PM
Senior Tech
Gary

Matt.....please post how you solve this as I'm having the same problem on my '67. I don't recall hooking up any special grounds but then a friend helped me run the harness a few months ago and he was going at a pretty fast pace. Thanks!

Gary
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 09, 10:08 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Matt

I'll play w/ it again tomorrow. I'm just going to pull the switch back out and wire it myself under the hood and see what I get. I'll def post what I figure out. Thanks again for all the help...
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 09, 12:39 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Matt

Here's what I've figured out so far (sorry if it sounds confusing, hopefully your head doesnt explode while reading this!!)-
-If it's hooked up normal at the wiper motor (keyed yellow to motor w/ shared keyed yellow to washer pump, light blue to washer pump, dark blue to motor in the same plug as the keyed yellow, then lonely black wire at the motor) the wipers only work on low w/ the washer pushed in and stop when I release the washer button. The high setting doesnt work until I push the washer button in but will continue to work once it's released. The switch doesnt have to be grounded for this to work this way (can just swing in the breaze below the dash) and still works the same if it's grounded. Also the washer pump makes one click when I turn the key on (regardless of the switch position, on or off) then clicks again when I turn it off.
-If I unplug the washer pump nothing works. (It didnt blow a fuse this time either, I wonder if maybe the plug bumped the motor housing last time and thats what blew the fuse)
-If I unplug the washer pump, then take the light blue wire that normaly goes to the washer pump and hook it to the wiper motor instead of the dark blue wire, I HAVE to ground the switch and everything works the way it's supposed to. (Leaving the dark blue wire unhooked completly, and everything except the washer pump works as this is unhooked completely)
At this point I could just give up and hook it up this way but I kinda want the washer pump to work and dont want to half a$$ it. I'm wondering if maybe my washer pump is bad and this somehow completes a circuit somwhere and it's not doing what it should be??? Any suggestions? Thanks again...
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 09, 08:54 AM
Michael

OK now I am mad that I went the Painless route on my 67, as I am having this same problem. Will try to work through the post by Kevin. Hope to see something more here.

I also am having problems getting my gauges working properly, but I added the console gauges so figure that I need to check ground. Which I haven't yet was happy to have the car start up.

Thanks
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 09, 09:03 AM
Guess

Do '67 wiper motors ground to the firewall through one of the mounting grommets like '69s?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 09, 09:35 AM
Kevin

Thanks Joe! I was hesitant from joining in because I do not know the wiring of 67s or how Pain(ful)less does their harnesses.

Kevin

post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 09, 09:43 AM
Michael

Does anyone here have a diagram showing which wires connect to which posts on the wiper pump housing. I pulled my original wires without a pic or making a diagram. because there is an upper and a lower connection point, left and right side. I wanted to make sure we are putting the yellow on the correct contact, I don't see a diagram showing which post on the unit is which. I was trying to reverse the wires and that blows my fuse of course.

OK I am a noob but here is how I have my Painless wires set up:

black is solo topside pass side, then Dk blue/Yellow is topside with yellow on drivers side connection. The lower terminal it Lt Blue/Yellow in that config too.

I here the motor getting power but doesn't turn until you push in for washer fluid.

Painless is sending me some help via email, I'll post it later.

and I am working on my 67 here, original motor, new pump and new switch(this system worked fine before I pulled the harness)

Last edited by sscamaro67; Sep 15th, 09 at 10:04 AM.
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 09, 12:34 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Matt

I'll bet I have 16 hours into this stuuuuuuuuuupid wiper set up so far ! I picked up a washer pump today and got another new switch. I'm going for broke!!! (Now EVERYTHING wiper related is new!) I'll install the pump and see what I get. To answere your question about the wiring mine is the same way. I WILL (God willing, forgoing any physical disasters) figure this out!
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 09, 01:17 PM
Senior Tech
Gary

I think HwystarJoe may be on to something. The bolts that hold the motor to the frame may act as a ground. Try cleaning out the threads and retighten and see if it works.

Gary
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 09, 02:03 PM
Kevin

Matt, dont know if 67s are the same, but here are pics of 69s. One of the grommets has a brass strip wedged in-between the case and contacts the metal top of the grommet which connects to the firewall via the mounting screw. This needs to be there for the parking curcuit to work. Wipers get 12v all the time and use a switched ground to operate.

You can see the brass connector in this pic assembled

And loose in this pic in the bottom box

Kevin

post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 09, 06:41 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Matt

I do know about that ground. I replaced all the bolts w/ new cuz when I got it 2 were broke off. I've played w/ the wiring enough to know that from drivers to passenger side the terminals are--
1. Drivers side- switched power, hot when key is on
2. Center terminal- grounding this terminal will make wipers run on high
3. Passenger terminal- grounding this while wipers are running on high will cause wipers to quit running, if I connect this w/ center terminal to a ground, wipers will run on low.
I think this is what the switch accomplishes. What I've figured out is that it's not my wiper motor or my washer motor. I think it's my switch but I'll find out. Thanx again for the input, still working at it ...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode