Starting Problem -69Z - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 09, 09:27 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Tom

Starting Problem -69Z

When my car is cold it starts fine. Noticed occationally after running the engine to operating temp and shutting off, it won't start.

Turn key, normal gen and oil lights go on , but nothing, no starter click, won't turn over. All accessories work, lights work, etc. I noticed when turning key and nothing happening, ammeter gauge goes all the way down to -40 (console car).

Waited an hour or so, car cooled down, and started right up.

Thinking starter or starter solenoid? Starts fine otherwise....checked all connections on staerter, battery, junction block and voltage regulator- all OK.

Ideas? Voltage 13.2 across battery; 14.3 off alternator when running. What am I missing?

Thanks much
Tom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 09, 08:15 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Skip

Re: Starting Problem -69Z

Starter may be heat soaked.

I NEED TO HIT THE LOTTERY
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 09, 09:30 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Or too small of cabling. Measure battery voltage across posts when starting, should not be less than 9.5 volts, otherwise, bad battery or not being charged enough or long enough time for the recharge.

Also, measure cable loss; go from battery post to solenoid post and return cable the same, post to engine block. Both measurements should be less than 0.5 volts. You might move the return cable from alt bracket to engine block if OE design.

Hopefully, the front starter brace is still attached as without it, the return path is through the starter nose and it being made of alum, not a good conductor as iron/steel.

JMT's.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 09, 10:29 AM
Senior Tech
Scott

Sidenote: The starter brace Everett mentions is vital to the support of the starter. Often left out by those thinking it's a decorative piece of hardware.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 09, 01:05 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauron67MM View Post
Sidenote: The starter brace Everett mentions is vital to the support of the starter. Often left out by those thinking it's a decorative piece of hardware.

I DO NOT HAVE THE SUPPORT BRACE! Guess I will start with that.
Thanks!
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 09, 01:14 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everett#2390 View Post
Or too small of cabling. Measure battery voltage across posts when starting, should not be less than 9.5 volts, otherwise, bad battery or not being charged enough or long enough time for the recharge.

Also, measure cable loss; go from battery post to solenoid post and return cable the same, post to engine block. Both measurements should be less than 0.5 volts. You might move the return cable from alt bracket to engine block if OE design.

Hopefully, the front starter brace is still attached as without it, the return path is through the starter nose and it being made of alum, not a good conductor as iron/steel.

JMT's.

Thanks Everett. No starter brace, so I guess I'll start there. I'll also take those measurements. FYI, new engine harness was installed along with battery cables during my resto. Have numerous electrical gremlins which were all resolved; or at least I thought

During my troubleshooting of previous problems, I spend about 6 hours going from the rear of the chassis to the engine bay, removing and verifying all grounds.

What do you think about the starter overheating? Starts everytime when cold. After driving for 30-45 minutes, this sometimes happens....
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 09, 02:03 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

You're welcome. I was suggesting for other avenues to look as the starter itself may be overheating/heat soak.

A quick check when heat soaked is the use a screwdriver, or remote starter switch, and short between the battery cable and the 'S' termenal of the solenoid to see if it does crank. If no crank, then heat soak. If crank, then power supply problem.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 09, 02:29 PM
Kevin

Also, check you batt cables for heat while you try to start it. Hot cables meant a poor conductor.

Kevin

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 09, 05:13 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everett#2390 View Post
You're welcome. I was suggesting for other avenues to look as the starter itself may be overheating/heat soak.

A quick check when heat soaked is the use a screwdriver, or remote starter switch, and short between the battery cable and the 'S' termenal of the solenoid to see if it does crank. If no crank, then heat soak. If crank, then power supply problem.

Again, thanks Everett! I have a remote start switch, so I'll try that! Never thought of that

Ah, the joy of it all
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 09, 06:04 PM
Senior Tech
Alan

Was having the same symptoms. New solenoid and a new bushing (old one was pretty reamed out) solved the problem. I did take it to a guy who does this and he said you need to make sure you have the right solenoid.

alan
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 09, 06:27 PM
Senior Tech
Scott

After buying a reman starter and alternator and both took early retirement I took them to a local rebuild tech and got them done right. I will always have them done that way and keep xtras for that purpose. Some companies leave the used bearings and brushes in the shiny new cases. Just enough to get by. The cost of them replacing a few within the warranty is outweighed by the ones they make a profit on.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 09, 07:36 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Tom

Thanks for all the input guys! Drove last night for quite awhile and the car started every time. I'll keep an eye on it and report back. The good news is I get to drive it these days, not just work on it...I just don't go too far from home!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode