69Z28 Electrical Problems! - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 09, 06:25 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

69Z28 Electrical Problems!

I was driving my 69Z28 today when all of the sudden it flat out dies. Tried cranking it right after it died and it would crank but would not fire. Pushed it into a parking spot and started looking around under the hood and noticed that the neg wire on the coil was frayed through. Fixed the wire on the coil and hit the key... would crank but still not fire, then it started smoking around where the wiring harness plugs through the firewall. Now it is home in the garage and will not even crank... just smokes now. Anyone have any ideas?

Also all fuses are good

Any insight is appreciated!

Thanks

71' Camaro - 489CI - Turbo 400 trans.-300HP ZEX shot- 9 Inch
69' Z28 - Numbers Matching
06' Silverado Z71 - Daily Driver
05' Yamaha Raptor660 SE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 09, 06:57 PM
Senior Tech
Scott

Re: 69Z28 Electrical Problems!

Disconnect the battery immediately, unwrap the harness, inspect and see what is causing the problem. A worn through casing allowing a live wire to ground will cause your problem. And perhaps lead to more damage. I'm not an elecrical diagnostician, but others here are.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 09, 07:02 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

The battery is already disconnected. If a wire is grounding or shorting out shouldn't it pop the fuse though? All of the fuses are good in the car. Before I go tearing into things I want to make sure I am not missing something simple.

05' Yamaha Raptor660 SE

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 09, 11:25 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Tom

I had a similar issue, not broken wire but smoking from the harness. Ended up being the engine harness resistance wire to coil (white) had at one point been spliced together and re-taped. Once harness was unwrapped it looked very bad...evidence of severe heat and insulation cracking....

Replaced the harness w/ one from Rick's and problem went away.

Tom
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 09, 11:35 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

Check your points see if they are opening and closing while the engine is cranking.

Mark Canning
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 09, 12:11 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

The points would not cause it to turn over would it? I am more concerned about getting it to turn over again.

05' Yamaha Raptor660 SE
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 09, 01:53 PM
Senior Tech
Mark

No, but it will cause the wires leading to the ignition coil to melt if they don't open and the key is on. It will also cause it not to start.

The purple wire from the ignition switch (clutch safety switch) to the starter solenoid is in the same bundle of wires that run across the top of the firewall, so if you melted the ignition wire, you may have also melted the wire to the starter solenoid.

Mark Canning
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 09, 05:15 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Just came in from working on the car for a bit. It is cranking over again... makes me feel a little better. Took the cap off the dist. and the points are sticking... what causes this? Should I just replace the points?

05' Yamaha Raptor660 SE
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 09, 05:41 PM
Senior Tech
Chuck

So, is it the origonal 40 yr old wiring harness? This could be the tip of the iceberg. You may want to look into replacing the entire wiring harness. Smoking wires indicates a short or overloading. Fuses and fuse links are supposed to protect circuts from totally melting down, but it sounds like maybe something is still shorting. As far as your run problem, yes replace the points and condenser at minimum. Don't go buy cheap Chinese stuff either. If your main battery to engine ground is weak, then other smaller wires will be the next place the ground path will go and they cannot handle the amperage of a starter. Keep us posted.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 09, 06:28 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

It is not an original harness. I opened it all up and none of the wires have melted through the insulation... All of the wires look pretty good but the white one does get hot when the key is on and the points do not open. I think the smoke was coming from all the electrical tape that was wrapped around the wires. I will go through the car and check all of the grounds before I take it out again... picking up points tomorrow. Car usually runs great, this whole thing has been a surprise.

Other opinions are appreciated!

05' Yamaha Raptor660 SE
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 09, 04:39 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Switched over to the Pertronix system today and still no luck. The engine cranks fine but still will not fire and the wires are still smoking. I just checked the coil and I am not getting any power to the terminals on the coil. Any other ideas?

05' Yamaha Raptor660 SE
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 09, 03:09 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Points don't open because the point set rubbing block is worn, no lube, or the dist cam is worn, no lube and high tension spoint set.
Once a large amount of current goes through the contact set, the points are burned together.

Wire manufacturer packed in an extra load of smoke.

Power to the coil comes through the dist module and the module gets its power from the bulkhead connector under the brake master cylinder and from the ignition switch from the body bulkhead connector from the horn relay buss bar from the junction block next to the battery from the bat post.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden Ö enjoy your next chapter.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 09, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TannerD View Post
Switched over to the Pertronix system today and still no luck. The engine cranks fine but still will not fire and the wires are still smoking. I just checked the coil and I am not getting any power to the terminals on the coil. Any other ideas?

Can you give me some details about your switching over to a Pertronix System?

Recently, my old Pertronix Unit went bad. The engine would still run but was only firing on 5 cylinders. I replaced the old Pertronix Unit with a new Pertronix Unit & she went back to hitting on all 8 cylinders.

At idle & up to 5200 rpm she purrs like a kitten. However beyond the 5200 range she begins to misses & stumbles.

Tell me about your electrical source for your Pertronix Unit? I have tried this in two scenarios. One being the original step down wire from my engine harness/ the other by bringing in a "key on" 12 volt source directly to the Pertronix Coil, thus jumping over to the unit in the Distributor. Somewhere I'm just not doing something exactly correct and I'm not sure what?

Our problems are not identical but they are most certainly similar. Where are you getting your power supply for the Pertronix Unit?
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 09, 03:36 PM
Senior Tech

If it won't crank, could it be that you burned up the starter in the process of trying to get to fire up due to an ignition problem? Could be two totally unrelated issues.

Here's a couple of issues I've personally encountered that may help.

On one of my first distributor rebuilds, I over-greased the distributor shaft before putting it back in the housing. After a few days of running, some of my grease slung out and got between the breaker points and it wouldn't run.

Another lesson learned was when I replaced the cracked and brittle IGN wire with a new wire. I didn't realize it was a resistance wire. Eventually the coil overheated and cracked.

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 19th, 09, 10:47 AM
Senior Tech
greg

Run a 12 guage wire from the battery directly to the pertronix unit after you disconnect the 12 volt wire coming from the ignition switch, and then crank the engine to see if it will start. If it starts you have a problem somewhere between the ignition switch and the wiring going to the distributor. You may have to pull the switch to see if there is any wires that are loose or burnt at the back of the switch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode