battery drain - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 09, 11:22 AM Thread Starter
james

Arrow battery drain

hello all, i have little problem charging system will not maintain its charge, i have replaced battery , external voltage regulator, alternator, belt, but like some one had a similiar issue, my problem is the alt. will not charge the the battery when this occurs you only have a certain amount of time till the battery drains, not running no radio the only difference is i re-placed old yellow headlites with new bright white lites , i have been told i might have a bad ground from the motor to frame or firewall to fender it was working pretty good before i do not under stand what could have happened any help is appreciated i have noticed my h-lite switch is acting up causing fuel gauge to drop when the switch is on, when off the fuel gauge works fine ,,, could that lead to alt. &battery drain need advice quickly thnx jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 09, 02:10 PM
Senior Tech
Dan

Re: battery drain

James, It seems like the new headlights you installed are drawing more current and causing a significant voltage drop to your instrument cluster and with suspect grounds it could cause the symptoms you are describing. The normal headlight circuit by design already taxes the interior wire harness, that is why relays are used to better distribute power to the headlights and remove load from interior wire harness switches,gauges etc..

68 camaro RS 327/275 THM350 4 wheel disc brake 8.5 10 bolt 3.42 daily driver
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 09, 07:36 AM Thread Starter
james

so the problem might not be the ground after all? what about the headlite switch it self,, it seems to cause the fuel gauge needle to drop when you pull the switch out could that be causing drain im so confused,,,, nothing has really changed electrical wise to cause the car to drain and not recharge let me know some more ideas thnx jim

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 09, 09:09 AM Thread Starter
james

hello i was snooping around and found my pass. door switch(open door interior light)does not come on would that have anything linked to my previous problem the switch has broken off any help would be appreciated ,,,,, look @my previous thread for better understanding and again any help would be appreciated thnx jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode