Door buzzer - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 09, 11:26 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Doug

Door buzzer

Hello all,
I'm ready to try and make my door buzzer work in my '69. Any suggestions on where to start??
Thanks
Doug

1969 Van Nuys RS Z/28. Protect-o-plate and chassis broadcast copy. Hugger Orange, original 711 interior, including carpet. Original drivetrain: DZ, M-20, 3:73 BO code peg leg. Flat hood, no spoilers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 09, 11:41 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Tom

Re: Door buzzer

Sticky has alot of info...door buzzer = key minder.

1. when doors open, do interior lights work?
2. Does the horn work?
3. Do directionals work?
4. Do hazards work?

Buzzer / key minder is intregal to horn relay mounted on the radiator support just below the voltage regulator. Start there if everything else listed above works. I had a bad one even though horn worked.

If you don't have a wiring diagram start there and ohm meter or continuity light, get them.

The key minder circuit is a part of the blinker /hazard / horn wiring assy under the steering wheel just behind the cancel cam for the directionals.

For electrical, Everett on this forum is the man!!

I got lucky, good luck

Tom
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 09, 11:45 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Doug

1. when doors open, do interior lights work?
2. Does the horn work?
3. Do directionals work?
4. Do hazards work?

Yes all of these work.

Where do I find the sticky?
Thanks.....

1969 Van Nuys RS Z/28. Protect-o-plate and chassis broadcast copy. Hugger Orange, original 711 interior, including carpet. Original drivetrain: DZ, M-20, 3:73 BO code peg leg. Flat hood, no spoilers.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 09, 11:51 AM
Senior Tech
Alan

If you can get your hands on a wiring digram, you can trace the wires to the harmonica connector. By jumping the right 2 wires, if the buzzer sounds, then the problem is in the steering column most likely by the ignition switch. If not, you need to trace it to the relay and see what is missing.

alan
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 09, 12:33 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanrw View Post
If you can get your hands on a wiring digram, you can trace the wires to the harmonica connector. By jumping the right 2 wires, if the buzzer sounds, then the problem is in the steering column most likely by the ignition switch. If not, you need to trace it to the relay and see what is missing.

alan

Alan's got it right for sure...the harmonic connector is at the base of the steering column. The right two wires (can check colors when I get home....) are for buzzer.

do as he suggests and you'll know which way to go...!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 09, 12:40 PM
Senior Tech
Alan

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdb11 View Post
Alan's got it right for sure...the harmonic connector is at the base of the steering column. The right two wires (can check colors when I get home....) are for buzzer.

do as he suggests and you'll know which way to go...!
I was right? Quick, has anyone seen my wife?

alan
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 21st, 09, 06:33 AM
Senior Tech
Jim

Doug did you find it? If you jumped the wires and the buzzer worked, the key warning switch is in the steering column. After you get the lock plate off, remove the signal arm and the hazard button. Remove the three screws holding the directional signal switch in. Unplug the harness on the column so you can pull the directional switch partially out of the column. The key warning switch is two copper contacts that you will see at the two o'clock position. Use needlenose pliers to pull out on the plastic housing. The plastic may come out in pieces. There is a spring that slips on to the switch that you have to transfer to the new one. It goes on the bottom side. With the key out of the ignition, push the new switch back in and reinstall everything in reverse order. (Note: It is easier to replace the switch with the lock cylinder removed)

There's a fine line between hobby and obsession and I think I crossed it!

69 Camaro SS 350 4 Speed (5 Speed)
69 Corvette L46 Roadster 4 Speed
99 Corvette 1SC Roadster 6 Speed
Hot Rod Power Tour Long Hauler 08, 09, 10, 11, 12 & 13
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 21st, 09, 09:24 AM
Kevin

I recently replaced a aftermarket horn relay (buzzer worked) and put an original one back in and WOW, the GM one is way louder than the aftermarket.

Kevin

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 21st, 09, 02:15 PM
Senior Tech
Ron

I always hated that door buzzer: My horn relay was acting up - clicking and no horn. Obviously the Relay Contacts where pitted. So I took the Relay apart and fitted new Contacts and the Relay worked sounding the horn - While I was at it I cut off the TOP Arm of the Relay Contacts that is responsible for the Buzzing Action of the Relay and did away with the Annoying Buzzer ;o)

Z15CAM - There was a Viper in my Rear View

This was my 70 1/2 Z28

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode