Steering wheel horn contacts. - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 09, 07:49 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ken

Steering wheel horn contacts.

Guys, I can find the answer for this exact question: When I removed the steering wheel shroud from my standard 69 wheen the little spring popped up and out. I know there's a little pin down inside the wheel that is part of this assembly, and looks like it has shifted down out of position. Is this pin supposed to be inserted into the spring and then assembled? Or does the spring just ride on top of it? If I need to get to the spring to reposition it or reassemble it with the spring, do I need to pull the steering wheel to do that? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 09, 09:03 AM
Senior Tech
Kevin

Re: Steering wheel horn contacts.

Photos would help a lot here. If I understand you correctly, that pin rides on top of that spring. The spring pushes the pin up to make contact with a circular ring and provides electrical connection for the horn while still letting the wheel spin.

Autosmiths, LLC
'69 X44, stock 350 (for now), TH350, 3.70:1 gear 8.5" 10 bolt, Auburn Posi.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 09, 09:26 AM
Senior Tech
David

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenFro View Post
Guys, I can find the answer for this exact question: When I removed the steering wheel shroud from my standard 69 wheen the little spring popped up and out. I know there's a little pin down inside the wheel that is part of this assembly, and looks like it has shifted down out of position. Is this pin supposed to be inserted into the spring and then assembled? Or does the spring just ride on top of it? If I need to get to the spring to reposition it or reassemble it with the spring, do I need to pull the steering wheel to do that? Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedshifter View Post
Photos would help a lot here. If I understand you correctly, that pin rides on top of that spring. The spring pushes the pin up to make contact with a circular ring and provides electrical connection for the horn while still letting the wheel spin.
Pics here........

https://www.camaros.net/forums/showth...300#post891300

https://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=121430

David F.

"All I need is a fast machine". Steve McQueen
My Machine: 1969 Pro Street Camaro
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

468 CID 661 Horsepower
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Turbo 400
33"x19.50" Mickey Thompsons

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 09, 09:38 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ken

Thanks, I can use those when I reassemble everything. (Unfortunately that 2nd link no longer has photos) But actually I am referring to a pin that is sold, by Rick's for example (Item # HR-18) along with the spring that goes down inside that tube. I don't see one or understand where it's supposed to go. I may be totally off base here since I can't actually see a/the pin, just something that looks like the top of it. It's down inside the wheel—and that may be right where it (or whatever part I am seeing) is supposed to be. My question was whether that is the pin and if it's supposed be down there or whether its supposed to be up inside that spring? That would mean I'd have to get access to it somehow. But, unless I misunderstood, your note sounds like the pin is a different part and actually goes into the spring from the top and presses up against that little brass collar on the wires. This is the original wheel which I am sure has never been disassembled before. But now I am more confused because I'm pretty positive there was no pin on top of the spring. Thanks for your help—and patience.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 09, 11:28 AM
Senior Tech
Alan

Scoll down on the second link, the pics are there.

alan
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 09, 12:30 PM
Senior Tech
David

Quote:
Thanks, I can use those when I reassemble everything. (Unfortunately that 2nd link no longer has photos) But actually I am referring to a pin that is sold, by Rick's for example (Item # HR-18) along with the spring that goes down inside that tube. I don't see one or understand where it's supposed to go. I may be totally off base here since I can't actually see a/the pin, just something that looks like the top of it. It's down inside the wheel—and that may be right where it (or whatever part I am seeing) is supposed to be. My question was whether that is the pin and if it's supposed be down there or whether its supposed to be up inside that spring? That would mean I'd have to get access to it somehow. But, unless I misunderstood, your note sounds like the pin is a different part and actually goes into the spring from the top and presses up against that little brass collar on the wires. This is the original wheel which I am sure has never been disassembled before. But now I am more confused because I'm pretty positive there was no pin on top of the spring. Thanks for your help—and patience.
During the process of documenting the installation of the horn contacts there was a debate regarding the use of that pin.....I tried to use the pin but couldn't get the spring to completely compress so I omitted it and the horns still function. I'm not totally convinced that the pin is used on the '69 Standard wheel. If someone has the '69 Standard wheel that is using the pin.....please chime in so I / we can see the assembly if possible.

David F.

468 CID 661 Horsepower
Turbo 400

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 09, 01:24 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ken

Thanks David. I am pretty (99.99%) sure there was no pin in my wheel unless it shot out the window or something. My car was built in October, so maybe it's another one of those early/late build deals I've run into. So what actually holds that brass collar on the wires down into contact with the spring? Maybe that little plastic collar above it?

BTW that is a sweet-looking car you've got. The headers look like they were a bit of a challenge to squeeze in there. I'm afraid my basically stock, un-rebuilt but still-running-great SS350 with headers and intake falls a teenie bit short of yours in the horsepower category.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 09, 01:33 PM
Senior Tech
David

Quote:
Thanks David. I am pretty (99.99%) sure there was no pin in my wheel unless it shot out the window or something. My car was built in October, so maybe it's another one of those early/late build deals I've run into. So what actually holds that brass collar on the wires down into contact with the spring? Maybe that little plastic collar above it?

BTW that is a sweet-looking car you've got. The headers look like they were a bit of a challenge to squeeze in there. I'm afraid my basically stock, un-rebuilt but still-running-great SS350 with headers and intake falls a teenie bit short of yours in the horsepower category.
You are correct about the plastic collar. It is what keeps the spring compressed in the hole. Thanks for the nice comment about my car, it is very much appreciated. Those headers were a challenge to bolt on. Half of each side goes in from the bottom with the other half going in from the top. It was reall fun manuevering the individual pipes around to get them to fit !!!!!!

David F.

468 CID 661 Horsepower
Turbo 400

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode