68 4 speed back up light switch mechanism - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 25th, 09, 03:16 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
GTS

68 4 speed back up light switch mechanism

I have an early build 68 Z28 4 speed car which I bought in pieces and has been undergoing a 2 year full resto. I've been learning about the car as I go being a Z28 and have pretty much got it nailed as the car is now all going back together.

I'm now at the M21 Muncie and hadn't really thought about the back up lights until now. Firstly I assume all cars had back up lights fitted and working as standard when they left the factory?

I have looked at a friends 69 4 speed car and this seems to have a small bracket/eyelet that comes off the bottom of the steering column where I assume the original back up light bracketry would have attached to, although now all missing on his car as it did a fair bit of racing in it's time. Having inspected my steering column which I assume is the original from the car and I have no reason to think otherwise this eyelet bracket is not there, is this normal? I have also looked at a 6 cylinder 68 convertible and that too has no eyelet type bracket on the bottom of the column either?

I have seen on other post's a reference to a back up light type wiring cable which runs from the gearbox to the firewall then into the car. What determines what your car should have had originally i.e bracketry or wire and more importantly does anyone know what mine should have being a Z28 if that made any difference.

Any thoughts/comments would be greatly appreciated.

68 Z/28, Teal Blue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 25th, 09, 04:21 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Re: 68 4 speed back up light switch mechanism

In '68, back-up lights were an option.
All 4-spd trans equipped cars have the switch mounted on a bracket using two bolts of the side cover.
You're right, the harness went from the switch through a female receptacle next to the gas pedal on the firewall.

Good luck on your build.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden … enjoy your next chapter.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 25th, 09, 05:16 PM
Senior Tech
john

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everett#2390 View Post
In '68, back-up lights were an option.
All 4-spd trans equipped cars have the switch mounted on a bracket using two bolts of the side cover.
You're right, the harness went from the switch through a female receptacle next to the gas pedal on the firewall.

Good luck on your build.
In the US backup lights were mandatory in 1968...all cars have them...

i beleieve they became mandatory in 1966....

I'm going on memory so correct me if i'm mistaken...

Remember,I'm not making this stuff up!

1969 rs/ss 396 350hp/4spd conv a/c,pw,ps,foldown
1968 Z/28 crossram- j/l8 conv pw,ps,foldown
1963 nova ss 350/4spd conv a/c,ps,pt
1963 nova 400 4dr 6cyl/700r4 a/c
2006 GT/5spd mustang conv

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 19th, 09, 07:43 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jeff

Garage

I am also building a 68 convert and have the same issues with the back up light set up. I ordered the parts from Ground up and am waiting for them to arrive. I have both the outside harness and an extesion harness for it. Does anyone have a picture of the bracket installed? I need to know the placement of it. Thanks for the info. on how the wiring gets into the car.
JeffsSS
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 19th, 09, 12:12 PM
Senior Tech

All 1st gens had reverse lamps. To the OP, the 69 you looked at had a switch mounted at the bottom of the column, which went along with the new for 69 safety interlock system. The transmissions for 69 all had a backdrive rod linkage which turned an internal tube within the steering column, so that the transmission had to be in Park (autos) or reverse (manuals) before the internal tube was in the correct position to allow the key to be removed from the ignition lock. For column shifted cars and floor shifted manual cars, the reverse light switch sat on top of the column with a tab into a slot on this same tube inside the column. Totally different system than 67-68, but I figured you might want to know why the 69 wasn't the same...

67 and 68 floor shift manual cars have a reverse lamp switch mounted on the driver side of the transmission case, attached with a small diameter bent rod. Good pics of the trans mounted switch in the two threads linked below, both from Farm Boy's setup. The wiring then connected to a plug on the firewall under the wiper motor; there are pics of that here too. Let me know if you need links.

https://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=164668

https://www.camaros.net/forums/showth...=152483&page=2

Eric
69 'vert project big block/TKO 600 RR
68 'vert driver RS clone -- gone!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode