No GEN light - CS130 - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 09, 03:40 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Sean

No GEN light - CS130

I've just replaced my old CS130 with a new one.
(see https://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=163940)

Now, I've installed it and the GEN light doesn't turn on in the ACC position. If I remove the connector and ground the "L" plug, the GEN light comes on. Any ideas? I've checked the grounds, and even tried adding a jumper from the (-) terminal on the batt to the case of the alternator. No help.

I just replaced the battery with an OPTIMA Red top. I get 12.68 volts at the battery when off. And 12.68 volts at the alternator. When I rev the engine, the voltage actually drops! to 12.30 (with no lights on, no electric fans.)

I use a 4 gauge wire from the Batt+ lug to the terminal on the starter where the battery is hooked up. The "L" conection goes to the brown wire which I pulled from the front wire harness and re-routed to the engine wire harness. The sensing wire is hooked up to a terminal above the horn relay.

68 Convertible | stockish 350 | 700r4 | 3rd Gen Power Steering | Dual Electric Fans | MSD Ignition | Island Teal
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 09, 09:52 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Sean

Re: No GEN light - CS130

Well, I spent a fun hour at U-Pick-'em parts and grabbed a cs130 out of an Oldsmobile. I installed it and everything works just as it should. The Gen light comes on (not as brightly as when I just ground the "L" pin) and the system runs at about 14.2 volts with no headlights or fans at idle. Drops to about 12 at idle with fans and headlights at idle. Perks up to 13.5 at about 1800 RPMs.

So, I guess the new Powermaster alt is bad.

I drove it around for about half an hour and it seems like it's all solved.

68 Convertible | stockish 350 | 700r4 | 3rd Gen Power Steering | Dual Electric Fans | MSD Ignition | Island Teal
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 09, 03:42 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Re: No GEN light - CS130

For giggles, I'd move the sense wire to the fusebox BAT spade.
Visit Harbour Freight and pick up a cheap, $5, ammeter and use it to see the alt output.
A CS130 should read 14 volts at idle with full load. My '88 Dually does, no reason yours shouldn't, I would think.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden Ö enjoy your next chapter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode