Interior light trouble shooting - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 09, 04:43 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
"Tri-Tip"

Interior light trouble shooting

This morning I drove the car all seemed fine. Tonight I start up to leave and no interior lights. The clock, courtesy and dome lights & cigarette lighter seem to be on the same circuit. I unplugged the clock and cigarette lighter and I am still popping fuses. This is a quick burn so it must be a short.

Where to start checking?

"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master." ..... George Washington

Gary,TC Member with a Lemans Blue/Ivory 02D X33, DZ, M20, MS, flat hood. Only the BU code rear end is original.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 09, 06:08 PM
Senior Tech
Alan

Re: Interior light trouble shooting

You have the wiring diagrams? The problem is that if you pulled the fuse, the hot side will probably show continuity to ground. The question is where is the short? Best advise would be to check out the individual receptacles and hopefully the issue is in the light sockets. If not, you gotta start tracing.

If you have a console, it could be there as well. With a little luck, that's where it will be, chafed wire under the console. You can check that by unplugging the console multi connector.

alan
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 09, 06:19 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
"Tri-Tip"

So I have pulled all bulbs, disconnected all wiring that I know of. The load side of the fuse block would show 0 OHMS to ground if there is a short in the wiring. If not then put 1 bulb or connector at a time and check load side of fuse to ground?

"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master." ..... George Washington

Gary,TC Member with a Lemans Blue/Ivory 02D X33, DZ, M20, MS, flat hood. Only the BU code rear end is original.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 09, 06:22 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Harley

Send a message via Yahoo to wiskeesour

I would guess the cigarette lighter is bad. Fairly common. If you check with a multi-meter, ANY ohms would be a short or high resistance, which in a short fuse would pop.

Has there been any maintenance done to the car lately?

AE2(AW) Harley Moody, USNavy
"Master-at-Arms" for the CDWJB!!
November 26th, 2008 was my last day to serve my country as a member of the World's Greatest Navy.
Thanks Chief.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 09, 06:37 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiskeesour View Post
I would guess the cigarette lighter is bad. Fairly common. If you check with a multi-meter, ANY ohms would be a short or high resistance, which in a short fuse would pop.

Has there been any maintenance done to the car lately?

He said he disconnected the lighter. Gary, you do mean you pulled the wire off the back, right?
The sockets themselves often get screwed up and short out, especially if you use a phone charger or gps in it that doesn't fit really well, or needs some wigglin to get it to work.

Console car or not Gary?

Clock?

To find this, you need to disconnect all the loads (courtesy light bulbs, including console, clock, and lighter) and then measure ohms from the load side of the blown fuse to ground. Should read infinity. If not, chase the orange wire until you find the short.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 09, 06:57 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
"Tri-Tip"

No maintenance lately. I used a phone charger this morning. I have used it before. So possibly the socket got messed up this time?

Yes I pulled the connector off of the lighter socket and it is a console with clock car. The gauge lights are thru the headlight circuit.

It turns out that the last bulb I pulled, the rear courtesy light in the console, is the problem. Infinity OHMS with all bulbs and sockets off and 0 OHMS with the rear courtesy light bulb in. So I can say it is the bulb or it is still in the orange wire somewhere?

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 09, 07:04 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

A light bulb measure very low resistance. Put your meter back on with that bulb in, and close the door (bet you're working with the door open?)
If the meter goes to inifinity with the doors closed, you've reached "NORMAL"

Put the fuse back in, did it blow?
Put the connector back on the lighter, did that blow the fuse?

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 09, 07:07 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Harley

Send a message via Yahoo to wiskeesour

I was agreeing with him Jim.

AE2(AW) Harley Moody, USNavy
"Master-at-Arms" for the CDWJB!!
November 26th, 2008 was my last day to serve my country as a member of the World's Greatest Navy.
Thanks Chief.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 09, 07:25 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
"Tri-Tip"

Rear light bulb in. Ohmmeter connected to fuse block and ground while holding door switch closed. The fuse does not burn. Now I will try 1 bulb/connector at a time. The one that burns the fuse will be the leg that is bad?

Last edited by Gary L; Sep 26th, 09 at 08:56 PM.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 09, 07:35 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
"Tri-Tip"

All light bulbs and the lighter are working. Only the clock is disconnected. I may need to pull the seat out tomorrow to contort so I can plug the clock back in. Can the clock really blow a 20A fuse? Would the points have to weld together?

Last edited by Gary L; Sep 26th, 09 at 08:57 PM.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 09, 09:14 PM
Senior Tech
Alan

Well, if the clock is shorted, yes, it will pop the fuse. If you can, one end of the multimeter to ground, the other end to the hot side of the clock with power lead disconnected. If you get 0 ohms, the clock is shorted to ground and that will pop the fuse.

alan
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 09, 10:07 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
"Tri-Tip"

Thanks guys.

The darndest thing. Everything is back together and working. I have no clue what I did, if anything, to fix it. Maybe a wire was pinched?

post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 09, 10:18 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Andrew

Gary,

I once had a short traced down to the RH front parking light. It ended up being the interior of the bulb socket that was pushed off center and touching the side. Once I removed and carefully re-inserted the bulb my short went away. Maybe your problem was similar.

Skunk Works
302DZ, M22W Muncie, GV overdrive,12-Bolt Rear 3.73
Some photos:

Member # 159
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 09, 10:58 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
"Tri-Tip"

Quote:
Originally Posted by X33D80 View Post
Gary,

I once had a short traced down to the RH front parking light. It ended up being the interior of the bulb socket that was pushed off center and touching the side. Once I removed and carefully re-inserted the bulb my short went away. Maybe your problem was similar.

I'm thinking something along that line.

post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 10, 08:36 AM
DT
Gold Lifetime Member
Donny

Garage

I'm having the same problem now as you did Gary. Everything is disconnected (that I know of) Dome light, rear console light, no glove box light and no under dash light bulbs. Pulled clocked, pulled headlight switch, went through 8 fuses already.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode