Gas Gauge or Sending Unit? - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 09, 04:25 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Mike

Gas Gauge or Sending Unit?

I have read several of the post about trouble shooting gas guage problems...still can't figure mine out.

I have a 69 Camaro with console gauges...everything was working fine untill a recent trip and the hand pegged out on full. The hand will drop to about 3/4 after a few seconds with the key off...then pegs back out with key on. I checked the ground from the sending unit to trunk floor brace. I also tried grounding the tan wire in the trunk harness and the gauge still reads full. J

Just trying to determine if it is the gauge or the sending unit. Draining the tank right now to get ready to drop and check the wire to the top of the sending unit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 09, 04:30 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jeff

Send a message via Yahoo to yellow69RS
Re: Gas Gauge or Sending Unit?

Disconnecting the tan wire in trunk and leaving it open does what? If the guage reading is the same with tan wire in trunk open or grounded the problem is closer to the console.

Jeff
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 09, 05:21 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

This sticky https://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=73968 from the electrical basics thread which is stuck at the top of the electrical forum, covers the fuel gauge circuit.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 09, 08:57 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow69RS View Post
Disconnecting the tan wire in trunk and leaving it open does what? If the guage reading is the same with tan wire in trunk open or grounded the problem is closer to the console.

Jeff

Disconnecting the ground, tan wire, wire on sending unit, etc. doesn't change the gauge reading any. Reads above full once key is switched on. I have full power to console gauges, lights work, temp guage works, etc.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 09, 03:11 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

With the key off, did the gauge always go back to empty?
If it did, flick the gauge with your finger or smack it with a screwdriver handle.
If you read ohms from the disconnected gauge tan wire, or in the trunk, to ground, do you ohms and how many? 90 ohms = full, 45 = half tank, 22 = 1/4 tank, all approximate.

You might get a potentiometer/rheostat from an electronics parts store, i.e., Radio Shack, of a range of 0-100 would be ideal, 0-500, 0-1000 ohms. Attach the center lead to the disconnected tan wire and the left lead to ground. You should be able to rotate the gauge through its range by turning the pot. If you can control the gauge, even from the tan wire sending unit, you can assume the wiring and gauge are good. sending unit needs attention.

An ohmmeter reading should be indicated when measuring the unit from its terminal to ground.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden Ö enjoy your next chapter.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 09, 06:47 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jeff

Send a message via Yahoo to yellow69RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by dale3in98 View Post
Disconnecting the ground, tan wire, wire on sending unit, etc. doesn't change the gauge reading any. Reads above full once key is switched on. I have full power to console gauges, lights work, temp guage works, etc.
OK from this information you have an open circuit someplace in front of the trunk. High resistance or Open cicrcuit makes gauge go past full. Somewhere by the Ebake is another connector, disconnect it there and then ground tan wire. If guage goes to empty then open is between there and trunk if gauge doesn't change then go to console connector and try there.

Jeff
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 09, 07:43 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Mike

Clean the terminal on both sides on the sending unit...checked the ohm readings and the unit is working fine...however, corroded terminal could have been a problem...cleaned everything, before doing the reading. Friend came by and asked about power to the sending unit...duh...didn't check that. Turns out that the sending unit isn't getting power...loose connection on the plug for the console gauges. So, connection was probably the problem, but the terminals did need cleaning. I think I will install a new sending unit anyway now that I have this one out.

After reading some posts, I think I will go with the Premier sending unit...seems to have plenty of good reviews...unlike the OER stuff from other suppliers.

Thanks to all for information and helping with the problem.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 3rd, 09, 03:10 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Mike

Still having gas gauge issue...now the hand want move off Empty. I put a new sending unit in...same thing...put the old one in same thing. I think I am getting a ground from somewhere. I have power to the rear harness tan wire until I plug the sending unit into the harness..then nothing. Both sending units and gas gauge appears to work fine untill I put the sending unit in the tank. I have the ground hooked to the factory location on the trunk floor. Something is throwing a ground...just don't know what.

Any thoughts or suggestions?
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 3rd, 09, 03:44 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Judging from your replies, you didn't read the troubleshooting guide I linked either.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 09, 07:46 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM View Post
Judging from your replies, you didn't read the troubleshooting guide I linked either.

Yes, I read the guide and it along with other threads were very helpful...thanks. The latest issue was just a "not thinking" moment...I forgot that the sending unit doesn't have power when showing empty...the power supply is opened once the float moves up. Just one of those DUH...moments.

Thanks again for all the help and info.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
fuel, guage, sending unit, tank

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode