69 wiper motor issues - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 09, 04:53 PM Thread Starter
troy

69 wiper motor issues

ok guys, i am having issues with my wiper motor on my 69 camaro. it will not cancel at the windshield base. when you switch it off, it stops were ever its at in the stroke.. i have changed switchs, and made sure they were grounded. let me know what you think ..thanks for your time
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 09, 05:02 PM
Kevin

Re: 69 wiper motor issues

The motor base needs to be grounded to the firewall via a brass tab under one of the grommets. The ground then goes through screw to the firewall.

Kevin

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 09, 05:23 PM Thread Starter
troy

thanks, i did that check... i even jumped it with another ground wire.. thanks fro your help.. let me know any other thoughts you may have..troy

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 09, 06:22 PM
Kevin

Troy, What you have is a parking cycle open ground circuit issue. Inside the wiper motor round end, there are gears with a tab. The tabs purpose is to open an electrical contact at the moment of park. The motor gets 12v all the time, but does not move until the ground is completed via the switch. Once the motor starts moving, the parking contacts close when the tab moves off and now the motor has 2 ground paths, one through the switch and one through the park contacts (motor base ground). When the motor is spinning with the switch off, the motor continues to run from the closed park contacts until the gear with the tab comes around and the tab opens the contacts breaking the 2nd ground. If the wipers stop when you turn off the switch it means the 2nd ground path was never established or you have an internal issue in the motor. The most common problem is the motor base is not grounded, it is rarer (but not unheard of) that the parking contacts are no longer connected to the wires which pass the ground. I would use a ohm meter between the firewall and the motor base to be sure you have connectivity.

Kevin

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 09, 06:43 PM Thread Starter
troy

thanks kevin, you have done a great job of explaining the issue.. i will check it out and let you know..i will say though, i would think the jumped wire i mounted to the motor and to the fire wall would have fixed any issues there?? am i correct? let me know your thoughts kevin
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 29th, 09, 04:46 AM
Kevin

Troy, Sometimes there is rust between the plates, paint, etc that cause poor grounds that is why they used that brass strap. I would try the jumper some more, sand the paint off, try a couple of places including put the jumper on the brass tab. If the metal grommet cups are painted (should be plated), you dont get a good ground.

Is this a new install or did it just stop parking?

Kevin

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 30th, 09, 01:41 AM Thread Starter
troy

kevin, i just got the car, and im just getting things in order. i never turned on the wipers before...i had to replace the engine harness and i when i powered up the system the wipers turned on?! i must have bumped the switch while monkeying around... i will try grounding the motor better...so if this ground wire system does not work, i will need a new motor? thanks for your time
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 30th, 09, 03:30 AM
Kevin

Troy, I would say that after trying the brass tab for ground and you are sure you have a good ground from the base to firewall and it still doesnt park, yes a new motor is in your future

Luck!

Kevin

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 30th, 09, 07:26 PM Thread Starter
troy

well i scrubbed and scrubbed and scrubbed, and guess what? my motor works!! kevin, you where correct! a bad ground at the brass strap is what think caused it. it is working fine now.. thank you. i also found out that they had the wrong arm on the motor! what a drag!! so im working around that now. i will be needing a stock arm..thanks again
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 09, 04:35 AM
Kevin

Troy, glad you found it and didn't need a new motor. Why do you think it has the wrong arm?

Kevin

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 09, 05:01 AM
Senior Tech
David

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20round View Post
......... i also found out that they had the wrong arm on the motor! what a drag!! so im working around that now. i will be needing a stock arm..thanks again
Finding the correct arm to attach to the motor might be a little difficult but not impossible. If you want an original Camaro arm you'll have to fine one used as no company that I know of is currently reproducing them. However, you can use the wiper arm from a '68 or '69 Nova as it is identicle to the Camaro arm. Also, a wiper motor arm from a '68 or '69 Firebird should work......but good luck with that as well.

For reference, this is the '68 and '69 style Camaro wiper motor arm

Here is the '67 Camaro style

Although the look like the same part.....notice the orientation of the mounting slot.......it's indexed differently than the '68 and '69 versions.

David F.

"All I need is a fast machine". Steve McQueen
My Machine: 1969 Pro Street Camaro

468 CID 661 Horsepower
Turbo 400
33"x19.50" Mickey Thompsons

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 09, 05:22 PM Thread Starter
troy

well i had a 67 arm on my motor the way it looks! i did find a 69 arm, i had a junk 69 behind the barn and it still had the wiper set up in it!! thats about the only part left on the car though..thanks guys..
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 09, 05:28 PM
Senior Tech
David

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20round View Post
well i had a 67 arm on my motor the way it looks! i did find a 69 arm, i had a junk 69 behind the barn and it still had the wiper set up in it!! thats about the only part left on the car though..thanks guys..
I had to use a '68 Firebird wiper motor arm because it was the only one I could locate. Nice to hear that you found the right part !!!!!

David F.

"All I need is a fast machine". Steve McQueen
My Machine: 1969 Pro Street Camaro

468 CID 661 Horsepower
Turbo 400
33"x19.50" Mickey Thompsons

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode