Antique Automobile radio - 68 Camaro - Help - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old Sep 30th, 09, 07:53 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Nev

Antique Automobile radio - 68 Camaro - Help

I have just bought a "Antique Automobile Radio" for my 68 Camaro.
I did have an aftemarket radio fitted but since I am trying to go for an original look I thought I'd get one of these since they offered the original look with the modern electronics.
Anyway, I have fitted it and it doesn't work.
The indicator LED on the dial face shows when I have selcted Am or FM but I don't get any sound.

I even hooked up the old aftermarket radio to make sure that it would give me sound. It did.

Anybody got any ideas?

Rgds,
Nev

Almost finished (?) 68 Camaro
383 stroker
T350
12 bolt Moser
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old Sep 30th, 09, 08:50 PM
Senior Tech
Lane

Re: Antique Automobile radio - 68 Camaro - Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by nev68 View Post
I have just bought a "Antique Automobile Radio" for my 68 Camaro.
I did have an aftemarket radio fitted but since I am trying to go for an original look I thought I'd get one of these since they offered the original look with the modern electronics.
Anyway, I have fitted it and it doesn't work.
The indicator LED on the dial face shows when I have selcted Am or FM but I don't get any sound.

I even hooked up the old aftermarket radio to make sure that it would give me sound. It did.

Anybody got any ideas?
Not familiar with their products, is it a self contained unit with power for the speakers or is it just a head unit?

Lane

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old Sep 30th, 09, 09:03 PM
Senior Tech
Jim

I wonder if it's a speaker problem. Some radio's required no speaker wires to be grounded to the car (floating ground) while some used or could use the ground of the car on one of the speaker wires (common ground).
If a radio has a common ground speaker system and a floating ground radio is installed later it may go into protection mode in that it lights up but there is no audio.

I would wire back up the new radio to the car (power, ground, antenna) but do not connect any of the speaker wires from the new radio to any speaker in the car. Now take a known good speaker and wire it to just one output of the new radio (like the left front output wires) making sure the wires do not touch each other or make contact with the car and then make sure the remaining wires do not touch each other or the car. Now turn it on and see what happens. If it works then it may be a speaker/wiring problem in the car. If no sound still then the fader may be turned the wrong way or the balance may be turned the wrong way. If after checking these the radio still does not have any output then I would think it's an internal radio problem.

Jim

1974 Spirit Of America Nova (being restored), 1973 Nova Custom, 1968 Chevy II (Garage Find 2012)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old Sep 30th, 09, 11:36 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Nev

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlyfst1 View Post
Not familiar with their products, is it a self contained unit with power for the speakers or is it just a head unit?
Hi,
This radio is shown in this link http://www.radiosforoldcars.com/
Mine is for a '68 Camaro

Rgds,
Nev

383 stroker
T350
12 bolt Moser
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 09, 03:25 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

If you turn up the volume, do you hear white noise? No noise, no speaker hookup as Jim suggests or no power for the amp circuit.

If there is noise, then no RF signal. If radio has a 'STEREO' indicator and it lights up when a known FM station is tuned in, audio amp circuit problem or speaker problem.

By their literature, it appears their units work with 4 ohm speakers. Eight ohm aftermarket speakers will require more power - louder volume - to get the same audio level. OE speakers are 10 ohm and require lots of power.

Nice units, BTW.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden … enjoy your next chapter.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 09, 07:55 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Nev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everett#2390 View Post
If you turn up the volume, do you hear white noise? No noise, no speaker hookup as Jim suggests or no power for the amp circuit.

If there is noise, then no RF signal. If radio has a 'STEREO' indicator and it lights up when a known FM station is tuned in, audio amp circuit problem or speaker problem.

By their literature, it appears their units work with 4 ohm speakers. Eight ohm aftermarket speakers will require more power - louder volume - to get the same audio level. OE speakers are 10 ohm and require lots of power.

Nice units, BTW.
Hi, Thanks for the advice.
I don't hear white noise but the instructions say there is some type of mute function that will eliminate noise until the station is tuned correctly.
The radio does have a stereo indicator (small orange LED in the dial face) and I see that LED illuminate as I come to a FM stereo station, but I still don't get any sound.
I tried to hook up the speakers (all 4 ohm speakers).
First I tried 4 (2 x front and 2 x rear) - no sound
Next I tried 2 speakers, still no sound and then I tried a single speaker without success.
While fitting the speakers I have treid to adjust volume, fader and balance, but still no success.
After that I hooked up an old after market radio to check the antenna and speakers. No problems tuned in a FM statio and music straight away.
This wasn't a cheap radio (approx US$600) so I am a little disappointed.

Rgds,
Nev

383 stroker
T350
12 bolt Moser
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old Oct 3rd, 09, 04:39 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Is there a separate power wire/fuse for the audio section?
Generally, there is a battery power for memory, i.e., station presets, operator settings, etc., and a keyed, ign or acc power, for the operation.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden … enjoy your next chapter.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old Oct 3rd, 09, 05:41 AM
Senior Tech
Joe

Did you try calling the place you bought it from???

Joe
'68 SS/RS 350
Never enough time... even less money.

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old Oct 3rd, 09, 10:36 AM
Senior Tech

I have one of these. The speaker grounds must come back to the radio. Our old original radios allowed the speaker grounds to be grounded to the car. Also, recheck the wiring to the fuse block. There's one power wire (red wire) that connects to the radio connection on the fuse block. This wire has an internal fuse built into the wire. Check the fuse and make sure it's not blown. The green wire goes to a switched connection on the fuse block that gets power when you turn on your lights. The orange wire is for power to accessories like antennas, mp3 players or cd players. If you don't have any of these, it doesn't need to be hooked up. Also, carefully read the operating instructions. This radio has some unique ways to tune but they do work. Lastly, I really like the sound this radio produces. If you can get past the simple but different way to tune the radio and get it to produce sound, I do not believe you will be disappointed. And, the best thing, it does look original in the dash.

EricE
68 Butternut Yellow
SS Coupe 396/325
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old Oct 3rd, 09, 08:11 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Nev

Quote:
Originally Posted by stope4 View Post
I have one of these. The speaker grounds must come back to the radio. Our old original radios allowed the speaker grounds to be grounded to the car. Also, recheck the wiring to the fuse block. There's one power wire (red wire) that connects to the radio connection on the fuse block. This wire has an internal fuse built into the wire. Check the fuse and make sure it's not blown. The green wire goes to a switched connection on the fuse block that gets power when you turn on your lights. The orange wire is for power to accessories like antennas, mp3 players or cd players. If you don't have any of these, it doesn't need to be hooked up. Also, carefully read the operating instructions. This radio has some unique ways to tune but they do work. Lastly, I really like the sound this radio produces. If you can get past the simple but different way to tune the radio and get it to produce sound, I do not believe you will be disappointed. And, the best thing, it does look original in the dash.
Thanks for the information, it inspired me to go and have another look and armed with some more information from the supplier I figured it out

I feel a bit stupid but it looks like the issue is solved.
The new radio looks like the original radio when viewed from the front and the balance knob is a dual function knob on the new radio. (balance and fader)
Well it turns out that the balance knob was getting stuck and not allowing full range so I was not able to get the correct function to get front or back speakers working.
I didn't want to force the knob but it took a bit of extra force to get the full range and now it is moving free.

Anyway, it looks like its all sorted now.
Here's a few pic's comparing the original radio with the new radio.

Original radio (front view) is AM only

New radio (front view), note this is AM and FM

Comparison of new and original radios (side view)

Rgds,
Nev

383 stroker
T350
12 bolt Moser
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old Oct 5th, 09, 06:43 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

Garage

Bought one of those myself and love it.

Steve
The best laid plans are those not made (mine)

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 09, 10:03 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Nev

Quote:
Originally Posted by foreverlookin View Post
Bought one of those myself and love it.
How long have you had the radio?
Have you tried plugging in MP3 or Ipod player?

Rgds,
Nev

383 stroker
T350
12 bolt Moser
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 09, 06:58 AM
Gold Lifetime Member

how are the hook ups in the back, easy to do? what about the speaker connections? I was thinking of going with this type of setup but with the stereo speaker in the front, original location. (no side speakers).

1969 Chevrolet Camaro 396 SS X-66

1967 Chevrolet Camaro RS Convertible

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 09, 12:34 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by nev68 View Post
How long have you had the radio?
Have you tried plugging in MP3 or Ipod player?
I have had mine 2 years and yes I have plugged my blackberry and an Ipod into it and have had no issues with it. The first radio I installed was an aftermarket Custom Autosound unit and did not like it.

Steve
The best laid plans are those not made (mine)

post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 09, 08:01 PM
Senior Tech

I have had mine about 9 mos but have only started listening to it about 2 mos ago. The radio and ipod sound pretty darn good. Let's put it this way, if you want the original look, and don't want to spend on old technology called our original radios, this radio is for you. From my research, I do not believe anyone comes as close as this to the original look. In addition, it offers ipod functionality, accessory connections, lighting with your head lights and sounds really good. If I had two Camaos, I would own two of these radios.

EricE
68 Butternut Yellow
SS Coupe 396/325
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode