junkyard alternator - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 5th, 09, 06:29 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jeff

junkyard alternator

Planning a trip to the pickandpull junkyard soon to grab an electric fan. What would be good vehicles/motors to grab a high amp/easy to wire alternator from?? Mine mounts on the passenger side now.. Would be best if i can keep the pulley on my current alternator. My engine is a 70s 454.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 09, 03:07 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Re: junkyard alternator

I would think most any CS130 alt would do the trick.
Strap wrench and socket to change pulleys.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden … enjoy your next chapter.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 09, 04:21 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jeff

Are they marked CS130 on them anywhere? How do i know im getting the right one when looking at vehicles?

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 09, 06:24 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Try here for more info:
http://www.novaresource.org/alternator.htm

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden … enjoy your next chapter.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 09, 11:57 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jeff

Cool. Found one for $25 tested and gauranteed!
Also got a lincoln mk viii fan for another $25..
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 09, 10:58 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jeff

The alt i got cross referenced to Delco 1101229 in the computer at the yard and its from a 89 caprice 5.0L But they had it marked as 85amp in the computer. It has the 4 wire plug like a cs130 should.. Did they make a 85amp version? how would i tell? Hopefully its just the wrong info in the computer. Curiously it came with a v belt pulley on it, i would have figured a 89 caprice was serp belt...

Edit: Just went out and cleaned off the writing on it. It does say 1101229 but it also says 85A.. Every site i find online says 1101229 is a 100-105A.. Whats going on here?!

http://www.knappsautoelectric.com/de...atorsCS130.htm

Last edited by jeffs68camaro; Oct 7th, 09 at 11:17 AM.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 09, 03:45 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Yes, GM made an 85 AMP model. I would say if it is OE stamped 85A, then it would be one.
Once installed, you're not going to know the difference between 85A & 105A.

'
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 09, 04:33 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Talking Re: junkyard alternator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everett#2390 View Post
... Once installed, you're not going to know the difference between 85A & 105A.
Unless you hook up that Mk VIII fan

I usually go looking for one of the small/mid sized 199x's (mid/late) GM vehicles, specially the Oldsmobiles and Buicks.
They usually have quite a few power accessories (and AC) and the 100+ Amp alternators, even on the small 2.5L engines in many here in Calif.
Since they are "wierd" models, they commonly are not as picked-over as the other chevy's, pont. and cad's in the yards.
Be sure to double check and make sure you don't get one of the 78A units used on the "stripped" models
Scored a couple of 105's just a couple weeks ago.

Be sure to cut out some of the Harness and the necessary special input Plug also

1968 Convertible
Some trucks

Other V8 things - some of which float

Other V6 things - none of which float

Oh yeah, and 1 "Straight-Six" ...

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 09, 05:04 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jeff

Exactly. I plan on using that fan as my only cooling so need the extra juice of the alt. I just didnt realize that there were different flavors of cs130's.. Thanks
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 09, 08:48 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jeff

I went back and got one marked 105A and even better is it came with a pigtail for the wiring. Best of all it had remanufactur stickers on it dated 2005 and looks like new! Same price, cant complain about that!
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 09, 10:23 AM
Senior Tech

Jeff, in the electrical stickies I posted an article about wiring up a CS alternator. It talks about remote sensing and connecting accessory loads like your fan. Take a look and see if you find anything useful there.

FWIW: You can buy a brand new CS style regulator plug at most autoparts stores in the help section for about $8 if I recall.

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 09, 12:03 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jeff

Thanks Dave. I printed it out along with the article Wes wrote. I notice you put Fusible links on the charge wire and on the horn relay to junction block wire. What size would you use for those? Im guessing you want it to be up over the max capacity of the alternator? I need to now match all the wires in your drawing to the original camaro harness, Wes covers some of that.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 09, 12:46 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Larry

Fusible links are generally 4 wire sizes smaller then the wire you are protecting and are a good way to protect high sustained loads. Check out MADelectrical.com for more info.

68 RS Coupe 355/350 TH, Detroit Speed, Hotchkis, Vintage Air, 8.5" 3.42 posi 10-bolt, MagnaFlow 2 1/2" exhaust, etc.

"The public cannot be too curious concerning the characters of public men."
Samuel Adams
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 10th, 09, 12:51 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Check the donor car milage...if up around 70.000 + Dismantle replace bearings and brushes....other wise you will have to to it later anyway.

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode