Tail Light Harness - Am I missing parts? - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old Oct 14th, 09, 06:10 PM Thread Starter
Guess

Question Tail Light Harness - Am I missing parts?

Trying to freshen up the tail light harness and I seem to be missing some of it. And seem to have extra of something else!

The license plate light picture shows the Dark Brown wire coming out of the middle of the harness, but then it turns into a that double-spade connector after about a foot. There's that 4' long orange wire connected to it by a spade with a shorter piece and spade in the same connector. What the heck is that? It seems like a backyard fix to me.

In the other shot you can see right next to where the Dark Brown is are two larger gauge Green (dark or light green?) wires coming out and just twisted together. Nowhere in the schematics are these wires shown.... none of the diagrams I've looked at. They sure look like the smaller gauge Lite Green wires, but 3 gauges larger.

The Harness Connector picture shows what's in the main connector right now. It matches up with the main body harness wire for wire\color for color.
According to the schematics, I seem to be missing some wiring going to the right side marker. The wires and socket for the right marker are missing. Where does the wiring for that marker come from? SOmewhere in the harness I can't see? Also, there's only the one Yellow wire, which doesn't match up with the schematics. Shouldn't there be 2?

One more question.... are there supposed to be 2 light sockets on either end of the harness for a double-contact\double-filament bulb (Stop-Turn Signal)? I only have one dark brown double-contact socket on either end. The other two on each end for the tail lights are white.

I haven't even gotten to the engine harness yet. I better go get some more Capt. Morgan.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LicensePlate Light.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	12411   Click image for larger version

Name:	LicensePlate Light2.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	12412   Click image for larger version

Name:	TailLight Harness Connector.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	110.5 KB
ID:	12413  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old Oct 14th, 09, 10:00 PM
RSS
Gold Lifetime Member
Rick

Re: Tail Light Harness - Am I missing parts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HwyStarJoe View Post
Trying to freshen up the tail light harness and I seem to be missing some of it. And seem to have extra of something else!

The license plate light picture shows the Dark Brown wire coming out of the middle of the harness, but then it turns into a that double-spade connector after about a foot. There's that 4' long orange wire connected to it by a spade with a shorter piece and spade in the same connector. What the heck is that? It seems like a backyard fix to me.
Double connector should be one tan wire for your fuel sender (18g), and brown for your license plate lamp (18g). No orange. AIM UPC 12 page D4
Two light green wires are for backing lamps, AIM UPC 12 page D4 (20g). I'll see what I can find on the others.

It takes a fool or an idiot to first criticize! It takes a wise and intelligent man to first ask why!

1969 coupe under going restification (Almost Done!)

Last edited by RSS; Oct 14th, 09 at 10:46 PM.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old Oct 14th, 09, 10:25 PM
RSS
Gold Lifetime Member
Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by HwyStarJoe View Post
The Harness Connector picture shows what's in the main connector right now. It matches up with the main body harness wire for wirecolor for color.
According to the schematics, I seem to be missing some wiring going to the right side marker. The wires and socket for the right marker are missing. Where does the wiring for that marker come from? SOmewhere in the harness I can't see? Also, there's only the one Yellow wire, which doesn't match up with the schematics. Shouldn't there be 2?
Should be one yellow and brown going to the left hand (outer) tail, stop and turn signal. Right hand (outer) should have dark green and brown. Middle lights are back up lights LG (20g) and two inner lights are tail lights only, BRN (20g). Left and right side markers are BRN (20g). Let me know if you need pics. Not sure what schematic you're looking at. White appears to be for convertible only. I think the AIM UPC 12 Page D4 is what you need and it will all makes sense. Let me know if you need a copy.

It takes a fool or an idiot to first criticize! It takes a wise and intelligent man to first ask why!

1969 coupe under going restification (Almost Done!)

Last edited by RSS; Oct 14th, 09 at 10:37 PM.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old Oct 15th, 09, 04:01 AM Thread Starter
Guess

Thanks Rick.
I have the AIM bible, along with a couple other schematics. One is the Fisher Body manual ( totally different beast!) and one done by someone else. They don't seem to agree with each other. That's where my confusion comes in. One shows 2 yellow wires coming from the main connector.
And my fuel tank wire is all by itself coming from the connector as you can see in the picture.. No biggy there.

Also, I think I figured out why the colors to each side are messing me up..... when I removed the harness umpteen years ago I labeled it the way it came out. Mistake! The previous owner must have just thrown the sockets in any old holes because I had them labeled incorrectly. The pigtails for each light socket are not in sequential order on the harness. I'll have to cross them when I plug them into the tail lights.

I can rewire the right marker light no problem.... I'm just wondering why the harness only has sockets for one double-filament bulb on each side instead of two. Isn't the whole light supposed to blink (minus the center backup light) with the turn signals, and also be lit constantly for running lights?

UPDATE on engine harness.... It's a brand new M&H harness for V8 with gauges (built 1996) and it's in perfect condition. Thank the Lord and save the Capt. Morgan!

post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old Oct 15th, 09, 04:05 AM
Senior Tech

No on the inner light on each side blinking. For the 69 model year and standard (non-RS) lights, the inside light was a running light only, not a brake light and not a turn signal.

Eric
69 'vert project big block/TKO 600 RR
68 'vert driver RS clone -- gone!
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old Oct 15th, 09, 04:22 AM
Kevin

Joe, to add a little here, I just restored mine (a pain), the white sockets are single pole, for backup and inner park light on standard cars, the brown socket is a 2 pole, for park/brake. So your car is a standard, you should have a brown and 2 whites per side. I found a tape dealer online and got black fabric 1.5 in athletic tape that works really well to rewrap these and it looks factory.

Of course I have a bunch of spare sockets and connectors Should I throw some in the pile for you

Kevin

post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old Oct 15th, 09, 04:51 AM Thread Starter
Guess

Hmmmm....OK. A diagram I have shows 2 double-filaments per side.
I believe you guys. Thank you.

I was just pricing that harness wrap online. No one sells it over the counter locally that I can find. Tennis racket wrap or something similar should to the trick.
The 'order' gets bigger and bigger, doesn't it Kevin?
I'm only missing a white tail and the small marker. I still have to figure out the two 10 gauge green wires. I'm going to ignore all the diagrams except the AIM from now on and I'm all set. Previous owner(s) must have mis-wrapped the harness and jacked it all up. I can't see $104 for a whole new harness.

Thanks guys.

Kevin.... today is Damplifier day! Wish it was warmer in the garage.

post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old Oct 15th, 09, 06:19 AM
Kevin

Joe, this is what I used and I am pleased with it. 1 roll will be plenty for the taillight harness. If you need to rewrap the middle harness, get 2 rolls.

http://www.findtape.com/product254/J...=Athletic+Tape

Make sure you have all 4 push in connectors stapled to the black strap (dont push them in yet!) and you lay out the harness in the car and line up the wires and sockets and fully test the harness before you wrap it, because you have to slice the tape to undo it! I had to do that twice!

The orange wire in the connector looks to be the optional trunk light, which plugs into the license plate light connector. You keeping that?

It also appears you are missing the spade connector for the gas tank sending unit in the double female plug.

I am pretty sure you are going to need more than you think. I have plenty of cut ones that I used spare parts from to fix mine.

Good luck on the damp install, it will take a couple of days, because your hands hurt after a while using the roller and you need a break

Kevin

post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old Oct 15th, 09, 06:34 AM
Senior Tech

Here are pics of my OE harness. Mine is a vert, but I think downstream of the disconnect plug they are the same. The end with the blue tape is the driver side, just after the disconnect plug.

FWIW, if you want this one, let me know and I will mail it to you. It is just taking up space here. The only issue is that I cut off the master disconnect plug to use on my AAW Update kit.

Eric
69 'vert project big block/TKO 600 RR
68 'vert driver RS clone -- gone!
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old Oct 15th, 09, 07:04 AM Thread Starter
Guess

Kevin, I'm not missing the fuel sender wiring. It's the tan wire coming out of the main plug all by itself. The spade is still on the wire but the black plug part is missing. I can fix that.

I thought about the 4' long orange wire being the trunk light, but it's coming from the middle of the harness. And yes, I want to wire up the light.
I have some unused, cut wire coming from the harness that runs up front and is sitting on the drivers side wheel tub..... I thought that would be the trunk light, but I guess it could be a defroster wire also. Not sure what color it is right now.... probably dark brown.

The existing sockets on the harness are fine. I took them all apart and went through them. Everything is OK, except the missing spade body for the fuel sender.
I'll have to unwrap this entire thing and start over with it.

Eric.... thanks man. I can't see your pics here at work (only certain pics work) but I'll be sure to check it out at home tonight.
I might take you up on the offer as well. Depends on how it goes.

post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 09, 05:36 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave

I had problems with the taillamps this morning on the way to a car show. Tonight I'm doing some trouble shooting. So are the AIM, my owners manual, and the Service Manual all wrong when it comes to the bulbs and sockets?

The way I read the manuals my 69 should have 2 brown sockets with 1157 bulbs and 1 white socket with an1156 bulb per side.

With an 1157 on the outside and an 1156 on the inner location. It looks like the brake lights are on because the 1156 is much brighter than the low beam part of the 1157.

Is this wrong? This is a NON -RS car

Dave

Known to run with scissors....
1969 Camaro Z/28 "clone", GMPP ZZ383, Autogear M22W, Moser 12bolt w/TruTrac 3:73.

Last edited by Fred Mertz; Oct 25th, 09 at 07:46 PM.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old Oct 26th, 09, 03:17 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Fred, try an 1004 bulb for the inners.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden … enjoy your next chapter.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old Oct 26th, 09, 07:59 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave

The 1004 won't work for the inner taillamps. They are a 2 contact single element bulb rated @ 12w They don't fit the socket well enough to light up

The 1003 works great. It's a single contact rated @ 12w.

I would like to match the brightness of the inner and the outer tail lamps but the wattage ratings are over the place, The 1157 is rated @ 27w/6.7w I would need a 2 element bulb with a low beam rated @ 12w to match the brightness of a 1003.

Any suggestion? What's the CP rating of an 1156? Maybe I can get a better match using a P3496 or an LED version in place of an 1157? What do you think?

Dave

1969 Camaro Z/28 "clone", GMPP ZZ383, Autogear M22W, Moser 12bolt w/TruTrac 3:73.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old Oct 26th, 09, 08:18 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave

I just found in a search, mention of a bulb number 1155 that's an 8 watt single element.

Might be hard to find, Not very popular anymore.

Getting closer,

Dave

post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 09, 02:07 PM Thread Starter
Guess

1003 is the trunk lid light.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode