Wiper motor won't stop pumping - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 15th, 09, 08:37 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Craig

Wiper motor won't stop pumping

I hate to start another wiper thread, but I didn't want to hijack the other one. I just installed a new washer pump. Problem it, it shoot fluid any time the wipers are running. I don't ever actually plan to use the wipers, but this was the last ting on my car that needed to be working in order that everything functioned as it did when new. This car was unmolested prior to the resto, but none of the wiring was disturbed.

Any idea? The switch is new too.

Craig

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now you will see that evil will triumph, because good is dumb.
-Dark Helmet

1967 Camaro
1965 Mustang
2007 Mustang
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 15th, 09, 02:07 PM
Senior Tech
Brent

Re: Wiper motor won't stop pumping

I have the exact same issue...hopefully someone that has fixed it will chime in...

1968 RS/SS Lemans Blue
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 15th, 09, 03:23 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Dan

X3
I also know someone with this problem.

67 RS convertible
Mark Jones 496...690hp
Liberty modified TKO600
Holley HP EFI

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 15th, 09, 04:50 PM
Senior Tech
David

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brackneyc View Post
I hate to start another wiper thread, but I didn't want to hijack the other one. I just installed a new washer pump. Problem it, it shoot fluid any time the wipers are running. I don't ever actually plan to use the wipers, but this was the last ting on my car that needed to be working in order that everything functioned as it did when new. This car was unmolested prior to the resto, but none of the wiring was disturbed.

Is it possible that you could have reconnected the wiring incorrectly...i.e. the connector has been "flipped" when reconnecting it to the washer pump?????? Just a thought.........

David F.

"All I need is a fast machine". Steve McQueen
My Machine: 1969 Pro Street Camaro
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

468 CID 661 Horsepower
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Turbo 400
33"x19.50" Mickey Thompsons

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 15th, 09, 05:17 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brackneyc View Post

The wipers will always run when fluid is squirting but the squirting should last only one revolution of the pump cam, then a set of points opens, breaking the ground. Take the cover off the pump and observe the cam operation. Maybe the points aren't riding on the cam correctly. I don't know how the switch is wired but if it's new, check there. I think somehow you must have a ground on the dark blue wire when you shouldn't.

'67 rs - ordered new by my Grandfather
327 L30, K-K, Deluxe int, tach & gauges, 12 bolt posi, 4 speed.

-
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 15th, 09, 05:30 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Craig

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1969ProStreetCamaro View Post
Is it possible that you could have reconnected the wiring incorrectly...i.e. the connector has been "flipped" when reconnecting it to the washer pump?????? Just a thought.........

David F.
I tried it both ways. Same problem.

Craig

-Dark Helmet

1967 Camaro
1965 Mustang
2007 Mustang
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 15th, 09, 05:30 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Craig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose RS View Post
The wipers will always run when fluid is squirting but the squirting should last only one revolution of the pump cam, then a set of points opens, breaking the ground. Take the cover off the pump and observe the cam operation. Maybe the points aren't riding on the cam correctly. I don't know how the switch is wired but if it's new, check there. I think somehow you must have a ground on the dark blue wire when you shouldn't.

I'll check it out. I appreciate the help you guys.

Craig

-Dark Helmet

1967 Camaro
1965 Mustang
2007 Mustang
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 15th, 09, 09:45 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jeff

Send a message via Yahoo to yellow69RS

I'm not familar with the 67, my area of expertice (if you can call it that) is the 69 Wiper. If the solenoid wireing is grounded it will always pump. Pull the washer connector, if it quits after one revolution you're shorted to ground somewhere between the motor and the switch. On a 69 the solenoid pulls an arm that then engages the gear and allows the pumping. If the gear has any bad teeth it won't "ramp up" and shut off. One of the teeth is the end of a spring that holds the gear on, I've been told they wear out.

Jeff
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 09, 06:40 PM
Senior Tech

I am having the same issue on a 68 Chevy truck which uses the same pump. I went through 7 NEW pumps before we got one to actually work. Now that is works it will not stop. The problem we are having is that the pump drive gear is not fully advancing the arm and will not allow the pump gear to make a full revolution. I have fought this issue for days now to the point of making a new pump drive gear. You guys think it is bad dealing with this on a Camaro, then try dealing with one on a 67-72 chevy truck that has a/c with this issue.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 09, 02:52 PM
Senior Tech
Patrick

I just solved this issue. Turned out multiple problems but finally solved.

First, new wiper switch installed. The first one was bad.
Then seriously did some sanding behind the new switch to create a good ground. Which also turned out to be a problem.

Changed the wiper motor but in the end it was good. So I returned it. Advance has these parts stock. It DOES NOT come with the CAM attached.

Bought the new Washer pump motor also from Advance auto. Problem fully and finally solved. This part does come with the CAM but ultimately, the final washer run on problem lay in the washer pump itself. Also, its pretty cheap, like $28.

1968 Convertible L92 VVT project, Hotchkiss lowering front & rear.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode