Yet Another Blower "On High" Problem - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 15th, 09, 06:37 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Yet Another Blower "On High" Problem

QUOTE:

"the purple wire has voltage on it all the time (except with the fan switch in off) because it connects to the common output terminal of the blower motor resistor before it runs over to the blower motor. It doesn't have an power to it in high because when you put the switch in the dash to high power no longer goes to the blower motor resistor from the dash switch (lever actually) and instead power goes to the smaller orange wire at the high speed relay. So if you don't have any voltage on the small orange wire at the relay with the fan switch in high, then you have a problem with the fan switch. If you have power on the small orange wire in high, but none at the purple terminal of the blower motor resistor (or at the relay) then you have a problem with the relay itself."
My Engine Compartment

I have checked ALL these wires listed above. My wiring seems to check out just fine. Still... my fan WILL NOT blow on high. I have power in the small orange wire when my dash switch is on "high." My in-line fuse is good, etc, etc, etc. This is REALLY bugging me. What else might I check????? My ground wire is good too. I had this same problem on my 68 RS convertible that was stolen & had factory A/C. I think this must me a common problem. I am seriously thinking about changing out the dash blower fan switch, even though it seems to check out just fine by the above test.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 09, 04:40 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Re: Yet Another Blower "On High" Problem

Time for me to eat some black bird:

Using the analytical test posted by Mark C. above: I checked & checked & checked my wires at the a/c relay under the hood. I also changed out the original relay with two different relay units I had around the garage. One of the them, brand new in the box, bought years ago. I was convinced ALL THREE relays couldn't be bad.

Next, I took all the dash components out to get to the a/c switch. I took the stupid a/c switch apart, cleaned it, put it back together: no difference, still wouldn't blow on high.

The only option I felt I had left was to go buy yet another (4th) relay.

I put the thing on, plugged it in, walla.... she blows on high
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 09, 05:43 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Experience speaks.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden … enjoy your next chapter.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 09, 10:05 PM
Senior Tech
Dale

Doesn't that just piss you off!! At least it's fixed.

68 Dana 302, 68 rs 327 daily driver/family car, 71 rs, track car/ driver, 68 firebird 400, 70 formula 400, 73 type LT, 98 TA, 2 goofy kids and an incredible wife.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 09, 05:46 AM
Team Member
IC

make sure you keep those 3 bad relays. lol
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 09, 03:53 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69mustang View Post
make sure you keep those 3 bad relays. lol
They are already on their way to the city dump.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode