draining battery - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 09, 07:34 AM Thread Starter

draining battery

if i dont start my camaro in three days needs jump not the battery any one know where to start with short?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 09, 07:43 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
BILL

Re: draining battery

i think you posted this twice!! post some info on the car!! give us some details!
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 09, 07:50 AM Thread Starter

95 camaro six cyl. headlights blow all the time

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 09, 07:51 AM Thread Starter

it runs great but sitting for a few days won't start thanks for any help
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 09, 07:56 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
BILL

Does it have an aftermarket radio or amp?? What do you mean blow all the time?? burn out or thier on all the time???
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 09, 08:04 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
BILL

I would charge the battery up where it needs to be ,start the car and check the charging system with a full charge on the batt..and then check for a draw in the system..step1(what have you checked on the car already??)
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 09, 08:14 AM Thread Starter

not the sharpest tool in the shed the headlights blow an average of every couple months could be water ,rain ? i have not checked anything so far . his friend screws with car all the time the horn was sticking on he cut the wire have not looked into that but have worked on that before . what do i need to check drain in voltage just a voltmeter?
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 09, 08:23 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
BILL

On his headlight thing, make sure the headlight housing is sealed good, if you got water coming in ,thats why they are buring out..if you touch the new bulbs going in, the oil from your fingers will blow the bulbs too..and if the little gasket(o-ring) that seals the bulb to the housing is messed up or bad or missing ,that will burn out the light too!!..you can use a test light if you dont have a voltmeter to check for a draw!! I think i would be checking that wire to the horn ,that sounds like that might be your problem??
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 09, 08:43 AM Thread Starter

well checked back forum talk it was doing this before horn thing how do check for draw with test light or voltmeter?
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 09, 08:56 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Your best tool for troubleshooting current draw from the battery with the engine off is a test light connected between the removed battery cable clamp and battery post, either one/color, incandescent light bulb doesn't matter the direction of current.

The light bulb will only allow the amount of current to a max of brillance of the bulb used. If there is a short, the bulb will still shine because of the limited amount of current needed to glow.

Now, getting back to troubleshooting. Insert a test light and look for the glow, the lower the brillance, the lesser amount of current flowing. PCM's, aftermarket stereos, aftermarket amplifiers, GPS's maybe, cell phones, etc., whatever is plugged in, draws current fo memory purposes/functions, i.e., clock, station presets, equalizer presets, etc.

Install the test light and start unplugging everything one at a time and observe the glow. The lesser the glow, the lesser the current drawn. Sometimes, you may have to observe the light at night. A very small glow indicates only the radio & PCM are drawing current. All other aftermarket accessories draw too much current.

After the fault is localized, you can use a DMM in the amperage postion and replace the test light to observe the amount of current drawn. Any amount under 100 milliamperes, 0.1 amps, is good.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 09, 09:04 AM Thread Starter

thanks men will check back with updates
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 09, 09:07 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
BILL

unplugging everything means, pulling one fuse at a time!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode