Is there a way to test a glass fuse to see if its good, or how to test - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 09, 05:20 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
bigsteve

Is there a way to test a glass fuse to see if its good, or how to test

Is there a way to test a glass fuse to see if its good, or how to test the terminal in the fuse box for power?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 09, 05:26 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jeff

Send a message via Yahoo to yellow69RS
Re: Is there a way to test a glass fuse to see if its good, or how to

With it installed it and the fuse box can both be tested for power with a test light or volt meter. One end should have power with the key on, If both ends have power alls good. If no end has power then other wireing issues are present, possibly fuse link. Remember the tail lights have to be on for the inst lamp fuse to have power.

Jeff
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 09, 06:32 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Tom

If it's out of the fuse box, just use a little Ohm meter. Set it for Ohms, touch the two leads together to make sure you get a reading on the meter(continuity). This means the meter is working, good battery inside. Then touch them to the end of the fuse. No continuity means burnt(open) fuse. Also works well with lightbulbs...

'67 rs - ordered new by my Grandfather
327 L30, K-K, Deluxe int, tach & gauges, 12 bolt posi, 4 speed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 09, 06:58 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
bigsteve

My tail lights are having ground issues, I had to run grounds with aligator clips for now in order to get all those lights working. But the dash lights did work before I took out the SFE 4 fuse , then after I cleaned contacts and replaced with a new fuse dash lights not working.

Last edited by bigsteve; Oct 18th, 09 at 07:13 AM.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 09, 10:20 AM
Guess

Exclamation Re: Is there a way to test a glass fuse to see if its good, or how to

FYI on using an Ohm meter or DVM:

When set to Ohms to check continuity (IE: a good wire, a good fuse) touch the leads together first as Tom said. The meter (digital readout) should read very close to .2 Ohms. That is a dead short, meaning good continuity with little to no resistance.
The longer a wire or circuit, or if there are connectors or splices in between both ends for instance, there will be more resistance so don't be surprised to see something like 1.0 or 6.2 Ohms. I think spark plug wires are around 8 Ohms.... can't remember. Depends on the wire.
A fuse should read .2 Ohms.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CheckingOhms.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	12464  

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 09, 02:42 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by HwyStarJoe View Post

When set to Ohms to check continuity (IE: a good wire, a good fuse) touch the leads together first as Tom said. The meter (digital readout) should read very close to .2 Ohms. That is a dead short, meaning good continuity with little to no resistance.
The longer a wire or circuit, or if there are connectors or splices in between both ends for instance, there will be more resistance so don't be surprised to see something like 1.0 or 6.2 Ohms. I think spark plug wires are around 8 Ohms.... can't remember. Depends on the wire.
Good addition, Joe. I was thinking about the supercheap analog ones, but digital ones usually have a continuity beep setting, which makes it even easier. Beep = good!

'67 rs - ordered new by my Grandfather
327 L30, K-K, Deluxe int, tach & gauges, 12 bolt posi, 4 speed.

-
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 19th, 09, 01:24 PM
Senior Tech

A decent DVM can be had for as little as $10. Some of the things you give up on the cheepies are 1) accuracy - usually not a big deal 2) auto power off - just remember to turn it off when you're done and 3) good leads - the cheapies tend to tangle, are short and often have probes which bend easily. But when you sum it all up they do the job and won't break the bank.

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 19th, 09, 08:51 PM
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by HwyStarJoe View Post

You should be able to zero out the meter at this point if you are touching the leads together you should have 0 ohms. And as far as your 1.0 to 6.2 ohms most service manuals looks for less than 5 ohms when checking a circuit. And this is kind of a personal habit but if I'm getting more than like 1-1.5 ohms in a circuit i start checking contacts, and what not. Like I said this is just a personal preference but i would ideally like to have only like .2-.7 ohms resistance in a circuit. This of course is going to be totally dependant on the circuit you are actually checking tho.

NEVER argue with a stupid person. They bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 09, 04:16 AM
Guess

True...the test leads usually add .1 or .2 ohms of resistance, especially if you've got extra crap wrapped around them like I do.
In a decent meter you can use the relative (REL) mode to automatically adjust for that.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode