headlight switch short? and console connector wiring diagram needed - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 09, 10:37 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jeff

headlight switch short? and console connector wiring diagram needed

ok,

so im still trying to figure out if i have a wiring problem with my 67 with console... turns out that the gray wire on the under dash console connector has very little resistance to ground. something on the order of 1.5 ohms. this does vary with the headlight switch (on, off, parking lights, and the dimming of the gauge lights). it varies from about 1.5 ohms to 2.7 ohms if i play with the switch.

now, shouldnt this resistance be open (very very high) when the lights are "off"? and then ary resistance with the dimming of the gauge lights)?

im wondering if my headlight switch isnt a little goofy. Can you guys confirm this operation?

Also, would any of you be so kind as to point me to a wiring diagram with the under dash connector wiring that feeds out to the console? i have 3 different books and none really show this.

thanks !
jeff

1967 SS 396, M20.
now a 10.4:1 540, AFR 315 heads, UDHarold SR Cam with a Tremec TKO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 09, 08:40 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jeff

Re: headlight switch short? and console connector wiring diagram need

anyone?

1967 SS 396, M20.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 09, 07:01 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jeff

man, i cannot find a diagram for the under dash console connector and wiring. anyone?

1967 SS 396, M20.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 09, 09:26 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

The gray wire is for gauge illumination. Low resistance to ground is normal, and yes, the resistance would change when you rotate the headlight switch.

Checking resistance on a power wire in the circuit is not very useful.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 09, 11:29 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jeff

Hey Jim,

Low resistance between a power line and ground when the switch is "off" is normal? Thats a short in my book... there should be no complete path unless the switch is pulled on... and then, the bulbs would complete the path. switch off = no path = open resistance... right?

would you happen to know of any diagrams that show the under dash console connector and how it connects to the rest of the car?

thanks!

1967 SS 396, M20.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 09, 08:01 AM
Retired
Jim

wiring diagrams are in the AIM , sounds like you need to buy that. Its priceless when figuring out all the oddities of our old cars. Assembly Instruction Manual available at site sponsors, ebay etc. Get the 67 AIM

Click..is Jim..former owner of a 69RS-LM1 350/255 - 700r
"There will come a time when you believe everything is finished,
That will be the beginning." Louis L'Amour
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 09, 08:06 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jeff

Hey Click,

Ive got the AIM and the chassis service manual and chiltons and a few others. i just dont see where that danged console connector wires into the under dash harness. surely, some diagram out there has it?

thanks

1967 SS 396, M20.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 09, 08:32 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Tom

Jeff, you haven't actually mentioned what the problem is. I and I'm sure others, would like to help but need to know more about what it's doing or not doing that makes you think something is wrong. As far as checking resistance without a schematic goes, there may be some parallel path that is figuring into your measurements.

'67 rs - ordered new by my Grandfather
327 L30, K-K, Deluxe int, tach & gauges, 12 bolt posi, 4 speed.

-
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 09, 08:47 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jeff

Hey Tom,

Basically, im installing efi and went to wire in my 12v key source to the computer. just for kicks, i wanted to confirm that i had the same wire that i had connected to the 12V ign at the fuse panel. if its the correct wire (12V switch) then i figured that id have open resistance to the ground. well, i didnt. i had just a few ohms.

so, ive since traced the low resistance to the gray wire in the under dash console connector and im trying to figure out where that goes and how its wired. i know that gray seems like its convention for the lighting, so i figured id try the healight switch to see if anything happens there.

so that brings me to my post above. it seems like no matter what position the switch is in (off, on, park), there is very little resistance to ground. and i believe that theres a problem with that. there shouldnt be anything that when the car is off/at rest/doors closed that should provide such an easy path to ground.

so, i was wondering if you guys could confirm that your cars act the same or different and, if possible, provide a diagram of how the underdasdh console connector wires in to the rest of the under dash wiring, so i could trace it out.

Does that make sense? I may have absolutely nothing to worry about, but i want to know why that gray wire doesnt see much more resistance...

thanks

1967 SS 396, M20.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 09, 09:09 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Tom

Jeff, that helps. Still tough to comment though without my car and a multimeter in front of me...anybody else?

'67 rs - ordered new by my Grandfather
327 L30, K-K, Deluxe int, tach & gauges, 12 bolt posi, 4 speed.

-
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 09, 09:13 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jeff

ok, so an update:

i pulled the headlight switch, disconnected it and i still get very little resistance to ground on the gray wire in the under dash console connector. man, i wish i knew where that wire went... my kingdom for a wiring diagram that has that connector...

1967 SS 396, M20.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 09, 02:05 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jeff

ok, so i finally found a diagram with the console connector. its for a 69, but i think it might work for my 67... http://www.gvtc.com/~rlaa/

anyway, it seems like the gray line pin that under dash console does go to the light bulbs in the dash... speedo/ tach and heater so it makes sense that there would a few ohms resistance (all the bulbs in parallel).

It seems like the dark green line on the headlight switch goes back to the same fuse on the fuse box and rotating the dial would change the resistance across the dark green wire... which is in parallel to the gray line and therefore change the overall resistance to ground of the bulbs.

so, im happy that things seem to be ok. i just dont want any gremlins down the road and i just had to convince myself

so thanks for your help. hope this helps someone else

1967 SS 396, M20.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode