68 fuel gauge behavior - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 09, 04:26 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jeff

68 fuel gauge behavior

When i got my 68 i was told the "fuel guage doesnt work" and was given a brand new sending unit with the car. I have not installed this yet.

When i pulled apart my dash and was checking wiring i found that the pink wire to the gauge assy was cut and had a pigtail spliced to it. I was told this was the fuel guage and i assume someone had a aftermarket gauge installed at one time. So I fixed this wire with the hopes that maybe this is the reason the previous owner thought he needed a new sender.

My tank is empty now. When i turn the key to the on position the gauge reads well beyond F all the way clockwise but slowly starts to move up counterclockwise.. I didnt leave it on long enough to see where it was going to stop.

So my questions are:
Would the needle ever go over there in normal operation??
When the car is off does the needle stay where it last read or does it park itself to one end or something??

What would be a easy test of the sender at the tank wiring without dropping the tank and pulling the sender out?
thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 09, 05:03 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Re: 68 fuel gauge behavior

There is a sticky on troubleshooting the fuel guage.

https://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=73968

If you have a bad ground or open ground then the needle will go past the full mark. You can check the sending wire in the trunk area with DMV meter and at empty will be 0 ohm and when full it will be 90 ohm.

You can also do a search and there is alot of info on this site about fuel guages.

Mike
69 Camaro Prostreet - purple w/ghost flames , 502 w/ 871 blower

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 09, 05:07 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

The needle might go the normal positon. But every Camaro I've had, the needle would register the level its at, no overshoot, and needle is pretty damped, meaning rapid movement of the car/sending unit does not yeild the same results - slow action.

Needle generally stays in the last known position, but if off center, gravity may prevail and the needle drop to the side, not always.

The tan wire of the body harness goes to the sending unit. Testing this wire to ground would indicate the resistance of the s/unit. Sometimes the ground wire from the s/unit, the black one, going to the pass side strap needs a little cleaning to make a good connection.

Getting a 50 ohm (approx 1/2 tank) & 100 ohm (full tank, may read pass F) resistor, or a 0-500, 0-100 ohm potientmeter, and tie one lead to ground, the other to the tan wire of the disconnected harness to the gauge would help to see if gauge is working. It will never read exact, just an indication of level in tank.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden … enjoy your next chapter.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 09, 06:19 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jeff

sounds good. Thanks guys. I will let you know what i find.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 09, 06:46 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jeff

reporting back.. So i had fixed the wire behind the dash but still had the fuel gage pinned beyond full. I started by testing the ground. I cut the original ground off and ran a new wire to a known good ground, still nothing changed. So i dropped the tank. Found the wire had been spliced on top of the tank in the same fashion as all the other wires in the entire car.. That is strip about an inch of each wire, lay them next to each other and then wrap them with tape about 5-6 times... It fell apart as soon as i touched it.. So i fixed that connection, and now the gage moved to about 1/2 full. Problem is the tank was empty... I then hooked up the new sender outside of the tank with temp wires. tested the gage in various positions and all looked well. Left the gage reading E and hooked the wires back to the original sender. Again it went to 1/2 full. So i swapped the new sender into the tank. Should be all set now... Only worry is if the new gasket at the top of the tank leaks.. I have had that happen in the past, smallest bit of rust or grit can screw up the seal and there seems to be no way to know till you go fill it... ughh.. here is hoping.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 29th, 09, 03:39 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Was OE sending unit stuck at half tank or wiper arm broke at half tank?
Reads like you have conquered the challenge.

Good luck on the leak check; the first hard braking situation will tell.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden … enjoy your next chapter.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 29th, 09, 05:04 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jeff

It looked fine once i took it out. I didnt test it out of the tank. Hopefully there isnt something in the tank that was hanging it up. Cause the new one could end up stuck as well.. Will know soon enough once i get gas in it and start using it. wont be till spring though.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 29th, 09, 09:06 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Cool,,, glad you found the problem.

If you have a ohm meter you can check the sending unit with it out of the tank.

Mike
69 Camaro Prostreet - purple w/ghost flames , 502 w/ 871 blower

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 29th, 09, 11:01 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jeff

Im going to get the tank back in the car and move on to the next issue.. dash lights flicker/on/off (mostly off) as you wiggle the headlight knob... hopefully just a bad connection? Maybe a bad switch/dimmer...
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 29th, 09, 05:11 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

You might grab the knob and twist the bejesus out of it. The rheostat usually gets a burn spot in the wiper and coil of wire it rubs against.

'
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 29th, 09, 08:35 PM
Senior Tech

An old electronic technicians trick for scratchy potentiometers might work to "twist the bejesus out of it". Grab about a 24" piece of string. Wrap it wround the potentiometer shaft and see-saw it back and forth. You might even blast a little electronic control cleaner in there, but I'd avoid the lubricated kind since the light dimmer gets pretty hot inside.

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 30th, 09, 02:54 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

I've been busted!........LOL

'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode