Parking lights "off" when headlights "on"? 69 Camaro - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 09, 02:49 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Chad

Parking lights "off" when headlights "on"? 69 Camaro

I spent the day replacing bulbs and noticed all my running/marker lights work when my headlight switch is NOT pulled out the way out but when my headlights are on the marker lights go out. I have searched all through the forums. Some posts indicate this is normal but others say no but don't say how to fix.

I would really like my marker lights to be ON with my headlights on. How do I wire it up this way? I think it would look better at night and give a little better visibility.

Thanks for any help you can give!!

1969 Camaro SS X66
496 BBC

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 09, 02:55 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Tom

Re: Parking lights "off" when headlights "on"? 69 Camaro

Has your switch been replaced? You could have gotten a '67 switch. For 68 and up, markers and parking lights should be on with the headlights, IIRC.

'67 rs - ordered new by my Grandfather
327 L30, K-K, Deluxe int, tach & gauges, 12 bolt posi, 4 speed.

-
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 09, 03:12 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Chad

I guess that could be possible. I don't know the full history of the car so maybe someone put the wrong switch in?

Looks like a switch is 25 bucks. Where is the best place to buy a part like this?

http://www.rickscamaros.com/product....dept%5Fid=3123

Thanks for the help.

1969 Camaro SS X66
496 BBC

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 09, 06:30 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Tom

Rick's is fine to deal with. Close to you...

-
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 6th, 09, 04:01 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Chad

Hey Tom - wanted to say thanks for the great suggestion. I bought a 69 replacement switch and got it in this afternoon.

Works like a charm! My parking lights are all on with my headlights now and it looks so much better.

Thanks for the help!

1969 Camaro SS X66
496 BBC

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 09, 08:50 PM
Senior Tech
Steiner

Sweet. I think it looks better, too. Maybe your switch was just going bad. Mine has a sweet spot that it has to be in for both to be on. If I yank it too hard the parking lights will go out.

'69 Camaro
Dart 400-AFR 195-224/224 HR-Powerjection III TB with F.A.S.T. Sportsman XFI
TKO 600-Moser 3.42-Detroit Truetrac
500hp/538lbft

'69 Camaro Beater-SFT 327-M20-Moser 4.10-sold
'02 Z/28 vert-stock-sold and totaled
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 8th, 09, 05:00 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Chad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steiner View Post
Sweet. I think it looks better, too. Maybe your switch was just going bad. Mine has a sweet spot that it has to be in for both to be on. If I yank it too hard the parking lights will go out.
...and safer too! I leave at dark to drive it to work and being seen a little better is nice. Being old may have been the case on mine too. Makes me wonder just how many times that original switch was pulled in and out over 40 years. No wonder it gave out!

1969 Camaro SS X66
496 BBC

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 8th, 09, 08:59 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69bigblok View Post
Hey Tom - wanted to say thanks for the great suggestion. I bought a 69 replacement switch and got it in this afternoon.

Works like a charm! My parking lights are all on with my headlights now and it looks so much better.

Thanks for the help!
Coolness! Glad I could help.

-
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 8th, 09, 11:49 AM
Senior Tech
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69bigblok View Post
I spent the day replacing bulbs and noticed all my running/marker lights work when my headlight switch is NOT pulled out the way out but when my headlights are on the marker lights go out. I have searched all through the forums. Some posts indicate this is normal but others say no but don't say how to fix.

I would really like my marker lights to be ON with my headlights on. How do I wire it up this way? I think it would look better at night and give a little better visibility.

Thanks for any help you can give!!
I thought this was normal on my 68

"Lets Ride"

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 30th, 10, 09:54 AM
Tech Team
Paul

Hi Guys,
I am having the same issue all of a sudden. When I turn on my park lights all my dash lights and guages come on and park lights. When I pull the switch to headlight then I have no park lights and no dash lights. Is it my switch.

Man this car is really fighting me all the way through my total restoration.

1967 Camaro SS Bahama Blue with White Stripes
383 Stroker M-22 4 spTrans & Posi 3:73
Deluxe Black Interior
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 30th, 10, 04:36 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Chad

Try not to sweat it too much - you'll get it. My engine is not running at all right now and it has me worried. What I would do to only be changing out a headlight switch and back on the road like I was dealing with back last December when I posted this!

Oh well, I'll get it figured out soon. Good luck getting on the road littlebigman!

1969 Camaro SS X66
496 BBC

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 30th, 10, 07:11 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Roger

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlebigman View Post
Hi Guys,
I am having the same issue all of a sudden. When I turn on my park lights all my dash lights and guages come on and park lights. When I pull the switch to headlight then I have no park lights and no dash lights. Is it my switch.

Man this car is really fighting me all the way through my total restoration.
Paul I think 67s were different then the 68s and 69s. Thats what started this thread. A 69 had a 67 switch in it and it was turning the side marker and parking lights off when the headlight were turned on. The parking light are not on at the same time the headlights are on on the 67 models. Turn the headlight switch knob. The dash lights just may be turned off.

Roger

1967 Camaro SS/RS 350/295HP Coupe. First and only owner.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 30th, 10, 07:44 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

They make 2 different switches. One of them has more spade lugs on it and it is for the running lights. Make sure when you look at the connector on the switch it matches up to all the spade lugs.

Mike
69 Camaro Prostreet - purple w/ghost flames , 502 w/ 871 blower

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 10, 11:18 AM
Tech Team
Paul

Hi Roger,
I had my mechanic wire it up so I can turn on all the park/dash lights with the first part and then if I click it one more I would have park/dash/headlights on. It worked for one day and now it won't?

1967 Camaro SS Bahama Blue with White Stripes
383 Stroker M-22 4 spTrans & Posi 3:73
Deluxe Black Interior
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode