'69 RS Wiring harness - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 09, 09:30 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
john

'69 RS Wiring harness

I have an opportunity to purchase a used wiring harness from an original '69 big-block, RS Camaro.

Questions are:

1. Is there any difference in a harness from a car that did not come with guages?

2.Is an RS harness different than a Non-RS harness?

3. If nothing is cut and it is complete as he claims, any idea on value?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 09, 12:10 PM
Senior Tech
Bob

Re: '69 RS Wiring harness

John,

Yes, the gauge and non-gauge harnesses are different,but RS is not, except for the rear harness which includes the backup lights. The RS system is vacuum,so the wires should all jive up front for you. Not sure which part of the harness you are trying to work a deal on, i.e., complete harness, underdash and underhood,etc. For a frame of reference, a completely new harness from front to rear is roughly $500.

FWIW, the used harness would have to be way cheap and in perfect shape for me to consider using it. Had a bad experience once with used wiring in a 55 Chevy. The car darned near burned to the ground,and could have taken the house with it. Never again. Its new wiring for me. The peace of mind is something that's tough to put a pricetag on.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 09, 02:40 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Fred

No truer words have been spoken here. Most all of my wiring is original. Last year, on the return road after a drag run, FIRE BROKE OUT. I killed the battery via the NHRA required trunk shut-off switch and held damage to $10.00. Thanks again NHRA.
My original power wires from the horn relay wore through where they wrap around the radiator core support and go to the distribution block. Dead Short! A rubber hose now protects the new power wires at that corner. Whew.

See the hose?

One owner 69 Camaro,(yep, bought it new
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
RS SS Hugger Orange, L88, 4:10's tru-tack posi, ducted hood, Endura, spoilers.
TH400 (CX) with Coan 8" converter, GV-OD, 8 track still on console and best et 10.495,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
128.79mph 1.428 60'
All with 1960's stuff. (except tires and converter)
+ MT Super Scavenger headers & 3" full exhaust with X pipe. 3700 lbs. with me in it.
1000cfm AED and HD Harold-Lunati SR, 725 lift with shaft rockers too.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 09, 03:10 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
john

Well, I agree. I have ALWAYS replaced the wiring when I have restored cars, but thought if this harness was as nice as he claimed.... Well, you know.

I may still be better off to wait and buy a new harness.

BTW... My car may start seeing some paint as early as next week.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 09, 04:27 AM
Kevin

Used harnesses can be restored and used just like any part. Unwrap the harness, check all wires for soft/brittle/cracked insulation (this happens when insulation gets hot) and connections for looseness. Replace any suspect wire and connection (some spare junk harnesses are useful here) with the same color and guage of wire. Then run 12v through each wire (a lamp on alligator clips as a load works well), also useful to install switches, lamps, etc to test circuits as well. Install in car and re-test. Then rewrap keeping all wire outs in the required location. A pain, but it can be done!

Kevin

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 09, 11:15 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Fred

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinW View Post
A pain, but it can be done!

One owner 69 Camaro,(yep, bought it new
)
RS SS Hugger Orange, L88, 4:10's tru-tack posi, ducted hood, Endura, spoilers.
TH400 (CX) with Coan 8" converter, GV-OD, 8 track still on console and best et 10.495,
128.79mph 1.428 60'
All with 1960's stuff. (except tires and converter)
+ MT Super Scavenger headers & 3" full exhaust with X pipe. 3700 lbs. with me in it.
1000cfm AED and HD Harold-Lunati SR, 725 lift with shaft rockers too.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode