Engine won't turn over - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 28th, 09, 06:40 PM Thread Starter

Engine won't turn over

Hey Guys,

Need some help troubleshooting...I have a 67 camaro and my father had taken it to get a radio installed at a radio shop. After the radio was installed the car would not start. It cranks but will not turn over. I looked at the wiring from the radio and it looks like everything is in order, just don't know where it would be messing up at. All the fuses look good but I don't think that would prevent the motor from turning over anyways. Any suggestions would help, thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 28th, 09, 07:11 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Skip

Re: Engine won't turn over

It sounds like the voltage regulator on the radiator support or the ignition fuse they tapped in to for the radio... Just bumping this up for one of the pros..
Check this link out https://www.camaros.net/techref/elect..._regulator.htm

I NEED TO HIT THE LOTTERY
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 28th, 09, 09:30 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Engine cranks over, but no run. Could be one of the crimps the shop installed is not making good connection.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden Ö enjoy your next chapter.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 29th, 09, 04:21 AM
Senior Tech
Steve

Did he drive it home from the shop? If so, may be coincidence it doesn't start - Do you have power to the coil?

69 Pace Car and 69 Hard top
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 29th, 09, 02:34 PM Thread Starter

Engine would to turn over at the shop, had to have it towed back home. I'm going to check all the wires to see if there getting power.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 29th, 09, 02:40 PM
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacecow2020 View Post
Hey Guys,

Need some help troubleshooting...It cranks but will not turn over...
The above statement is confusing. Cranking and turning over are the same thing.

If when you turn the key, nothing happens, check your neutral safety switch. Try jiggling the shifter while attempting to crank it.

If you mean to say the starter motor runs (cranks) but won't start, then we're probably looking at an ignition problem.

If you mean it will attempt to crank but won't crank enough to spin the motor, then we're probably looking at a bad connection between the battery and starter or block.

Did this new radio involve power amplifiers that tap into the battery? If so, I'd wonder if there is a bad connection there.

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 29th, 09, 03:56 PM Thread Starter

Ok...voltage meter was a pos. But what I did find was the guy that installed the radio hooked up the main power source to the radio (yellow wire) to the orange wire on the harness designated for the radio. He then cut the brown wire that goes to the heater box harness and connected it to the accessory power wire to the radio (red wire). Could this be the issue why the car is not turning over (starting). Could this have blown a fuse or fusable link? What should I consider doing first?
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 29th, 09, 05:47 PM
Senior Tech
Steve

Hook it back up and see what it does, although I have to say it doesn't sound like the problem - pull the coil wire off an lay it on top of the coil close but not touching to the coil output or a good ground, but not touching and crank it over having someone look at it to see if you have spark. Sounds like you aren't getting spark to me.

69 Pace Car and 69 Hard top
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 09, 04:11 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Skip

Any updates.

I NEED TO HIT THE LOTTERY
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode