Fuel sending unit - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 29th, 09, 11:13 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Fuel sending unit

I have roughly 9 gallons of fuel in my gas tank, from the trunk connector. My ohm meter reads .01, shouldn't it read higher? I did all the testing for the guage and it works fine. I guess my question is roughly what should my ohm meter read with about 9 gallons of gas in tank???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 29th, 09, 12:11 PM
Senior Tech
Jim

Re: Fuel sending unit

I would think with 9 gallons in a tank the meter should read about 45 ohms (on an 18 gallon tank).
You should be able to figure what the meter reads by knowing what the range is of the sender (0-90 ohms) and the size of the tank.
If you have a 20 gallon tank and have 20 gallons of fuel in it the sender should read 90 ohms. If it only had 10 gallons then 45 ohms, and empty 0 ohms.
If you had a 16 gallon tank then 8 gallons in would be 45 ohms, 16 gallons 90 ohms, and empty, 0 ohms.
I would tend to think that even with 2 or 4 gallons in the tank you would want the sender to measure 0 ohms so that in your mind when you see the gauge on empty you still have some fuel to get to a gas station.

When I test 0-90 ohm GM fuel level systems I use some resistor values close to 22.5 ohms for checking the gauge to see if it reads 1/4 full tank. I then swap in a resistor close to 45 ohms to see if the gauge reads close to half full. I then tie the 45 ohm and 22.5 ohm resistors in series to give me 67.5 ohms to see if the gauge reads close to 3/4 full, and then either use two 45 ohm resistors in series or a resistor close to 90 ohms to see if the gauge reads full.

Jim

1974 Spirit Of America Nova (being restored), 1973 Nova Custom, 1968 Chevy II (Garage Find 2012)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 29th, 09, 12:42 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

so the ground on the sending unit is no good, or the sending unit itself is no good right???

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 29th, 09, 12:49 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by railer3 View Post
so the ground on the sending unit is no good, or the sending unit itself is no good right???
That is correct.

Mike
69 Camaro Prostreet - purple w/ghost flames , 502 w/ 871 blower

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 29th, 09, 12:56 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

THANKS

Ron
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 09, 11:33 PM
Senior Tech
Steiner

Sounds like you're testing it correctly without power on it. You're just unplugging it from the connector inside the trunk and checking from there to ground, right?

Perhaps the sender cable has just chafed through between the tank and trunk floor. Either way, it's all easy to change out and you get to find all sorts of other stuff that needs to be replaced at the same time....at least I did.

If you loosen the nuts on the tank straps all the way to the ends of the bolts, you may be able to get the tank to drop down enough so you can unplug the sending unit cable and probe right on the sending unit....if it's a '69 anyway.

'69 Camaro
Dart 400-AFR 195-224/224 HR-Powerjection III TB with F.A.S.T. Sportsman XFI
TKO 600-Moser 3.42-Detroit Truetrac
500hp/538lbft

'69 Camaro Beater-SFT 327-M20-Moser 4.10-sold
'02 Z/28 vert-stock-sold and totaled
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode