windshield wipers stop in the up position? - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 29th, 09, 03:12 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

windshield wipers stop in the up position?

I finally got the car together after several years. The wipers work but only stop in the up position vs the down regardless of when I turn them off?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 29th, 09, 06:01 PM
Senior Tech
john

Re: windshield wipers stop in the up position?

perhaps you attached the wiper motor to the wiper transmission 180 degrees off.

Remember,I'm not making this stuff up!

1969 rs/ss 396 350hp/4spd conv a/c,pw,ps,foldown
1968 Z/28 crossram- j/l8 conv pw,ps,foldown
1963 nova ss 350/4spd conv a/c,ps,pt
1963 nova 400 4dr 6cyl/700r4 a/c
2006 GT/5spd mustang conv
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 13, 02:36 PM
Team Member
Brandon

Iíve got the same issue, no mechanical parts have been disconnected. I have replaced the main underdash harness as well as the engine and headlamp harness. Before the wiring was a serious hack job and the wipers just stopped where they were when you turned them off. I figured out the wires, got them so I have both high and low speed but when you turn them off, they return to the up position for home. Ideas?

'69 coupe, 350 engine and trans, HEI Dist, headers, posi-track. It's a good 15 footer

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 13, 08:17 PM
Senior Tech
Jim

Send a message via Yahoo to go2fast

Ummm, maybe this is a stupid question, but did you install the wiper arms with the motor off and parked?
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 13, 08:42 PM
Team Member
Brandon

No, no mechanical parts were removed replaced or worked on. Just new wire harnesses. From what little bit I've been able to figure out from other posts I think it might be internal on the motor or maybe the motor isn't grounded good enough but I don't know how to check.

'69 coupe, 350 engine and trans, HEI Dist, headers, posi-track. It's a good 15 footer

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 13, 04:47 AM
Kevin

Brandon, there is a small embossed line on the drivers side of the back of the wiper motor that points to the drivers side when mounted. That is your alignment mark. Validate the motor is in park position, by turning on the motor without the trans, but with the arm, when you turn on the wipers, then shut them off after 1/4 turn, the arm should complete the full circle and park over that line (pointing to the driver side). If the motor just stops when you turn off the wipers not over the mark, then your park circuit is not working, which is most likely grounding issues.

If the parking is working, but just not over the alignment mark, remove the arm, re-install over alignment mark, retest. After the motor consistantly park successfully, install the trans, but not the wipers. put a small peice of tape on the wiper hubs to replicate the wiper arms. run through some tests to make sure the wiper arms follow the correct path. If not you had the trans mounted incorrectly.

Kevin

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 13, 06:32 AM
Team Member
Brandon

Thanks Kevin. Iirc, before I replaced the messed up wires I only had one speed and they just stopped wherever they were when you turned them off. Now, I figured out the wiring to get hi and low speed but now, when you turn them off, they complete whatever cycle they are in and return to the full upright position. I took a quick look and couldn't see the mark you are referring to, I'll have to go look closer later. I hate to be too dense here but I've never messed with one of these before, when you say to turn on the motor without the trans how do I do that?

Thanks

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 13, 09:09 AM
Team Member
Brandon

Okay, here is the back side of the wiper motor. The lines the red arrow is pointing to are horizontal so the blue arrowed line is obviously vertical. A little more detail, when I turn off the wipers they complete the cycle and ďhomeĒ straight up, they donít go all the way to the end of the up cycle, make sense?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wiper motor.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	36.1 KB
ID:	33116  

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 13, 02:21 PM
Team Member
Brandon

another thing that may help it make sense,if you turn the wipers off a the end of the up-stroke, they don't just move back to the 90 degree vertical position, they move back past that, clear to the bottom (the correct home position) then back up to 90 degree's vertical

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 13, 03:37 PM
Kevin

Take the arm off (the nut is right there) and move it to the red mark (which is your alignment mark) . The shaft is slotted so in only goes on two ways (the right way and 180 degrees the wrong way)

Kevin

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 13, 03:41 PM
Team Member
Brandon

Thanks tons Kevin, I was hoping that was it but wanted to make sure before I tried it and messed something up.

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 13, 05:20 PM
Kevin

I would take the wiper arms off while you are testing this. If the linkage is not put on correctly, the wiper arms may scratch the cowl.

Kevin

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 13, 05:47 PM
Team Member
Brandon

Thanks, good point, I was actually just headed out the door to work on it.

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 13, 06:42 PM
Team Member
Brandon

Got it. It run s the right cycle but one of the arms rubs at one point under the cowl so there is an intermittent squeak. I've looked and can see no way, short of removing the cowl, to track it down. I guess I'm lazy, but where this isn't a show room restore, where other things aren't perfect, where I won't be driving it in the rain a lot, I'm really tempted to say to hell with it and just not worry about it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode