67 SS/RS reverse light problem - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 2nd, 09, 05:00 PM Thread Starter
Walt

Angry 67 SS/RS reverse light problem

Looking for help-I have a 67 SS/RS and my reverse lights stopped working. Both sockets have 12 volts going to them, but if I install a bulb in either socket, the other sides voltage drops to .8 Niether sides bulb will light. If I run the assembly direct off the battery conections they work fine, but when connecting up to the harness in the trunk the voltage is there but won't light the bulb. any help would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 2nd, 09, 05:46 PM
Senior Tech
Brett

Re: 67 SS/RS reverse light problem

My first thought is a bad ground. Older cars are notorious for this.

Brett
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 2nd, 09, 06:03 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

As Brett suggested, look at the grounds and wire brush them.
If this trick does not help, look for broken strands at all the crimps in connectors, and for the corroded connection; high resistance will heat up and greatly reduce current flow to the light sockets as seen by the 0.8 volt measurement.

If you trace backwards making voltage checks, you'll find battery voltage. the last connection of reduced voiltage is problem area. Voltage at the body connector in the drvr side kick panel?

To check body harness and rear lights, patch in a test wire from the fuse panel BAT spade, or maybe IGN spade since dealing with a 'live' wire, to the wire for lights. If lights shine bright, then look at back-up switch and/or power source connection(s) to the b-up switch. Body harness and lights are good if lights are shiny.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 2nd, 09, 06:06 PM
Senior Tech

Bad connections can be particularly frustrating. They can conduct well enough to show voltage (or ground) where there is no load. But the moment you try to do something useful with that voltage it dissappears.

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 09, 11:59 AM

I had a similar problem with the reverse lights on my 68 RS. Turns out one of the pigtails was shorting out against the housing, causing both lights to fail. The little rubber boot emerging from the backside of the one housing had rotted a little, allowing for unwanted movement in the pigtail. When I pushed the bulb on that particular side, both lights would suddenly switch on, only to turn off again when I let go. I solved the problem by replacing the pigtail altogether with an original spare I happened to have on my shelf. A new generic pigtail might have worked as well.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 09, 12:21 PM Thread Starter
Walt

I pulled both assemblies out and connected them directly to the battery and they work fine. Then I reinstalled them and ran the hot wire back from the battery and they work fine also. I am assuming the ground is good since they work individually that way so would the problem have to be in the hot side wire in the harness?
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 09, 12:55 PM

Are you able to get both lights to turn on at the same time, or only individually?
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 09, 04:08 PM Thread Starter
Walt

So far I have tested them individually, I will try to get them both to light off a direct battery hot lead. if they both will light what would the next setp be, could it be the back up switch? I am running a TKO 600 Tremec transmission.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 09, 06:04 PM

If they worked before and suddenly stopped working, I would be tempted to think it was the switch. But I've never had to trace it that far in mine, and I've still got my original transmission. What I've discovered is that one failed reverse light will knock out the other if it's the pigtail shorting out against the housing. In my case, the one without the short still had a very, very slight glow. Maybe somebody else will chime in ...
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 09, 07:40 PM
Senior Tech

Based on the readings you got, I'd definately say you have a bad connection in the power circuit. Make sure the fuses are getting a good connection in the fuse panel. The switch could be bad.

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 5th, 09, 05:34 PM Thread Starter
Walt

ok, I think I'm just about there. I have 12 volts to the switch on the tranny and if I by-pass the switch with a jumper, both lights come on. I'm assuming this means the switch is bad, is there any other test I should do to be sure. Thanks for all your advice, I really hate these electrical problems
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 5th, 09, 08:32 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Yes, switch is bad, or the action needed to make the switch work is bad.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode