1978 Camaro Grounding. Pics. - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 5th, 09, 11:50 AM Thread Starter

1978 Camaro Grounding. Pics.

Hi, I've never posted here before but I have on other similar sites. My friend has a 1972 Chevelle and we used Chevelles.com for helpful suggestions and knowledge when we were fixing up his car. And I recently bought this project car and it's time to fix up mine. So I hope fellow members on here can help me out on my problems that I may encounter.

Anyway, the car is a 1978 Camaro. It has a straight 6 in there right now (which I don't really care about). I have another 350 block that I'm building up which I wanna get in there in the next few weeks. But for the time being, I figured I'd mess around with this 6 cylinder which is already installed to see if I can hear it fire up. I'm not going to keep this one in there, but if I can get it to fire, then that'll be good!

Anyway, I recently bought a new starter for it (old one tested bad) and now, it cranks but still doesn't start. Sounds like my fuel pump is bad because I'm not getting any gas to the carb. That's not my problem now, I'll diagnose that a little later in the day.

My problem which I'd like to get help with is grounding. After getting the starter installed, we noticed one ground wire that goes from the firewall (like a strap - see pic) that is just hanging down. I'm sure it connects somewhere but I don't know where. Any suggestions? The ground wire from the battery goes directly to the frame and the smaller end of the wire goes onto the fender.

My neighbor said that wire is to make sure the engine gets good ground since the ground from the battery goes to the frame. But I can't find out where it connects to. That's my one problem - any help on that would be great!

Now, my second problem... when I crank it, the smaller end of the wire that connects to the fender, that gets VERY hot according to my neighbor. Why would that wire get so hot, any suggestions there?

I have pics of what I'm talking about from both my problems so let me know if anybody has some solutions. I'd like to get this thing wired properly and then move onto the engine and concentrate on getting it to fire. Thanks.

Here are the pics, first the one of the small wire that goes to the fender that gets very hot:

http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/779/camaro2p.jpg

And now, here are the two pics of the ground strap that comes out of the firewall and just hangs down nowhere. I'm sure that goes somewhere, anybody know?

http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/2158/camaro1m.jpg
http://img31.imageshack.us/i/camaro3d.jpg/

Thanks again, Eric.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 5th, 09, 12:10 PM
Senior Tech
Jess

Re: 1978 Camaro Grounding. Pics.

It either grounds tot he frame or firewall.. It needs to be gounded...

Jess67
67 Camaro Blue 427, 4-speed, 12 bolt
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

67 Camaro 350, 200-4R, PS, AC, PB, IN PARTS
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 5th, 09, 12:19 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jeff

Send a message via Yahoo to yellow69RS

Lots of issues there. First the main ground cable needs to be bolted to clean surface on block. That will help the little wire on the fender stay cool. You are drawing alot of current through all that because the engine has very little return path to the battery, probably the shift cable is it's only ground. The little wire bolted to the fire wall might go to the hood for radio interference shielding or to a valve cover bolt or the back of the cylinder head. I think I've seen them in all those places.

Jeff

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 5th, 09, 12:30 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

As Jeff suggests, neg battery cable to engine block.
Ground straps from firewall go to either a bolt on the head, may be missing the bolt, or to the valve cover bolt. Depends on the diameter of the lug on the strap, can't go wrong with valve cover bolt.

Make sure alt case and battery neg post are connected to each other via bracketry, engine block, etc.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 5th, 09, 12:34 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Agree. The battery neg cable needs to bolt to the block.
The others are not real important.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 5th, 09, 01:47 PM
Tech Team
Jeremy

okay. the strap from the firewall goes on the engine like previously said.

the wire coming off the fender wall needs to be checked. if its still connected good to the cable, clean a surface of the fender wall with a wire wheel and resplice the wire to a new washer, then attach the bolt and paint over it with primer to protct it from rusting again. chances are that youre not getting a good ground. that could cause a problem in the future if you dont do that.

as for it not starting, check your gas. is it old? try starting fluid. does it fire? add drygas to tank or sea foam to clean the crap out of the lines as well. u could just have a clogged line..

]- Its legal unless you get caught. -[
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 5th, 09, 02:02 PM Thread Starter

Ok we got it. We just put the one from the firewall to the valve cover as previously stated and fixed the main ground to the engine. The previous owner had it on the frame so I left it how it was. But after doing this, all the problems are fixed. Thanks guys, now on to trying to get it to fire. Appreciate the help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode