Answer this riddle - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Dec 5th, 09, 01:37 PM Thread Starter

Answer this riddle

if your bored answer me this. I put a volt meter[?] on the cigarette lighter i had the meter set at dcv 250: it read little on the dc scale on the ohm scale it read 200. i set it at 50dcv it read 50 on dc scale ? is this what should be reading, should there be power there with out the key? i'm wondering if someone put a new cig. lighter and wired it wrong?

2. I disconnected the ground wire on the steering wheel horn assembly because i was getting power on both side off the pushbottons , and guess what the switch works the way it should . but the horns still won't shut off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Dec 5th, 09, 02:15 PM
Senior Tech
Kev

Re: answer this riddle

Put the black lead of the meter to the metal surface of the dash. Put the red one on the lighter power terminal.

Never measure resistance with power applied to the device. You won't always get a meaningful result.

Find the horn relay, disconnect power to it to see if its stuck. Work your way back to the horn button from there. A wiring diagram will help.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Dec 5th, 09, 04:51 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jeff

Send a message via Yahoo to yellow69RS
Re: answer this riddle

Cigarette lighter is hot with key off.

Jeff

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Dec 6th, 09, 03:41 PM
Senior Tech

Re: Answer this riddle

Those readings are pretty weird. Hopefully you're not reading resistance since that won't mean anything on a power circuit.

Analog meters have a certain amount of non-linearity in the scale. I assume you have an analog meter based on the settings you're quoting (250v and 50v). If you set the meter up such that the needle is in the lower half of the scale, the readings can be off by a few volts. Also, take note if your meter has a V/2 setting. The V/2 switch is often provided to help get your meter to read higher on the scale for better accurace. For example, if you're on the 50V setting and the V/2 switch is active, you'll actually be reading 25V full scale - not 50v. Also, double check the holes your probes are inserted in. Typically the black will be in a "COM" or "-" jack, while the red will be in a V-Ohms terminal.

If you are using an analog meter, take the batteries out of it. Throw it in the back of your tool drawer and buy a cheap digital meter. A decent meter can be had for less than $20. I bought a pretty nice meter for my father in-law last christmas at Sears for $38.

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Dec 6th, 09, 07:22 PM
DHH
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

Re: Answer this riddle

You'll get wacked out readings if the 9 volt in the meter is almost gone.

Some videos I'v made for youtube

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode