Electrical HELP!! - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Dec 5th, 09, 02:33 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Electrical HELP!!

My 68 is not starting up. It will crank, but not start. I jumpered a wire directly from the battery to the ballast resistor and it started.

A little background info:
Mallory unilite distributor with electronic module (no points). It uses a ballast resistor and the stock resistor wire. This has all worked perfectly in the past, but now the resistor wire gets very hot. I think this means I have a short somewhere, but I not sure where to even start to look for that.

I have recently swithed to a newer style alternator and eliminated the regulator.

I have a couple questions about possible solutions.
1. I have read that I dont really need the resistor wire any longer on my set-up. Where on the fuse panel would be a good place to run a new wire to ballast resistor?

2. What should be the voltage reading at the ballast resistor with the ignition on, but not running?

3. What wiring harness would I need from AAW if I wanted to replace the fuse panel and engine harness only?

Thanks all,
Jason

1968, 383, 700R4, Convertible
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Dec 5th, 09, 03:43 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Re: Electrical HELP!!

Question 1. The spade labelled IGN on the fusepanel. Maybe add a 20 amp inline fuse also.
Question 2. Battery voltage +/-1 volt.
Question 3. Engine harness. You'll have to check with AAW on the fusepanel.

The reason the resistive wire gets hot is because current is flowing through it, a fair amount. This current goes through the coil primary winding to develop the field to be induced into the secondary winding generating the high voltage needed to jump the spark plug gap when the current stops flowing through the primary side.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden … enjoy your next chapter.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Dec 5th, 09, 05:36 PM
Tech Team
Jeremy

heres the simple answer. its gonna get a little hairy, but u need to follow that resistor wire and find out where it goes. that wire will burn EVERYTHING its wrapped with in your harness. the wiring harness is beyond a hard task and is expensive to replace unless your an expert. the resistor wire is either grounding out against another wire from friction, or whatever its connected to is fried. DO NOT turn the key over until you fix that issue. u dont want to end up replacing more than you need to.

take it from me, 87 jeep cherokee on fire.

]- Its legal unless you get caught. -[
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Dec 5th, 09, 08:14 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jeff

Send a message via Yahoo to yellow69RS

One other thing, You have twice the resistance at the coil than it's designed for. Cars that run ballast resistor aren't feeding it with a resistor wire and cars with resistor wire don't normally need a ballast resistor.

Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode