1989 IROC Electrical Issue - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Dec 10th, 09, 01:28 PM Thread Starter

Angry 1989 IROC Electrical Issue

I have a 1989 IROC Camaro that I was just driving down the road and it just quit. I assumed it was the Pick Up Coil in the Distributor since I had had the same thing happen on 2 Different Chevrolet Trucks. I had the Pick Up Coil replaced and it did not cure the problem. The Mechanic then said he thought it was a Fuel Pressure Issue so he replaced the Fuel Pump and the Fuel Filter with no success. Initially he could not get no codes from the computer but after replacing the computer it just shows limp home mode. He also replaced the distributor and the coil. The Vehicle will start when it is cold but when it warms up it quits. Also, if you try to give it fuel above an idle it quits. When I first purchased the car new the wire in the Ignition Cylinder in the Column broke and had to be replaced. Does anyone have any other suggestions on what the problem can be?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Dec 10th, 09, 03:50 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Re: 1989 IROC Electrical Issue

Run a test light, like a 63 light bulb and socket, and ground one end inside the car interior and the other lead to the BAT terminal of the HEI.

This light will show if power is being lost when engine quits.
If engine quits and still stops, fuel pump relay, both relay control from the ECM and f/pump power terminal.
Black wire on the injectors is battery power from a relay. The colored wire on the injector is from the ECM and it places a low voltage (read close to ground) on this wire to open the injector.
No pulses from the HEI to ECM, no ignition nor injector pulses.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Dec 10th, 09, 09:16 PM
Tech Team
James

Re: 1989 IROC Electrical Issue

I had this same problem on an 89 iroc I owned a few years back. I never figured out the problem, nor could several mechanics or the dealer, and I sold it. A few years down the road I ran into the guy who bought it from me. He said the problem was that the heat shields had been removed above the exhaust (especially the one between the muffler and gas tank) and was causing the fuel to get very hot. This was causing like a vapor lock. He replaced the missing heat shields and had no problems since. Hope it helps.

James
Espanola, New Mexico

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
67 RS/SS click my profile to see pic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode