Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Austin, TX, USA
Re: electrical fire
It may be...shorts happen. What concerns me is that it resulted in an electrical system meltdown instead of blowing a fuse, or at worst, burning a fusable link.
A good trick for isolating shorts is to disconnect your negative battery cable and then insert a test lamp between the negative battery post and the negative cable. Any current draw on your system will illuminate the light and the intensity will be proportional to the drain. A dead short will light it up bright. The test lamp not only gives you a visual indicator, but it also acts like a current regulator and won't allow more than about 1A to flow. It allows to you wiggle and isolate various parts of your electrical system until you find your short.
I'd keep the battery disconnected until you certain the fuses are properly rated and the fusable links are in tact. I'd hate to see you loose your car in a fire from a simple wiring or fusing mistake.
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI