Mechanical or electrical - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 09, 07:57 PM Thread Starter

Mechanical or electrical

I will be replacing the underdash mount water temp gauge and the Oil pressure gauge with in dash units when I replace the original gauge panel in my 69'.

the Oil pressure gauge has a plastic tube with oil in it that goes thru the firewall to the engine block. Am I correct in assuming this is an "mechanical" gauge???

The water temp gauge has a wire that is covered by a metal coil wich also runs to a sensor on the engine block. Is this mechanical or electrical gauge???

Any help is appreciated!

Novice but learning!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 09, 08:18 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Re: mechanical or electrical

Both of your gauges are mechanical. The temp gauge uses what is called a capilary tube, which runs from the gauge to where the sender screws into the block. It's not a wire, and if it is cut or kinked the gauge is junk.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 09, 08:56 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Throw the plastic crap away and pick up copper capilaary, and a couple ferrels for the ends

So the modern replacement oil gauges come with plastic now?

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old Dec 18th, 09, 08:48 AM

Yes the modern mechanical guages come with nylon tubing now. If you are replacing the gauges I would either install electric ones from Autometer or if you prefer the mechanical gauges get a braided line kit for the oil pressure gauge(also available from Autometer). Theres no much worse than pressurized engine oil leaking into the interior of you car!
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old Dec 18th, 09, 11:34 AM
Senior Tech
David

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJPE View Post
......if you prefer the mechanical gauges get a braided line kit for the oil pressure gauge(also available from Autometer). Theres not much worse than pressurized engine oil leaking into the interior of you car!
That is what I did for my AutoMeter oil pressure gauge..

David F.

"All I need is a fast machine". Steve McQueen
My Machine: 1969 Pro Street Camaro

468 CID 661 Horsepower
Turbo 400
33"x19.50" Mickey Thompsons

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old Dec 18th, 09, 01:01 PM
Senior Tech
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steptoe View Post
Throw the plastic crap away and pick up copper capilaary, and a couple ferrels for the ends

So the modern replacement oil gauges come with plastic now?
The nylon tubing is very flexible and given it's small diameter and relative wall thickness, it's very strong and capable of extremely high pressures. (Ever read the burst strength printed on this stuff?)
The OE oil pressure gauge used nylon, and my only suggestion is to step up the diamater to 3/16" for a more responsive/faster reading.

A copper line would be a very difficult install, would kink more easily, and work harden and crack over time. Copper is way-old school, long before better materials for the application like nylon became available.

Nov 68 Van Nuys. 327 floor-shift-auto, Frost Green and not much else when new.

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old Dec 18th, 09, 03:01 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Quote:
A copper line would be a very difficult install, would kink more easily,
Thats just poor instaltion practice
Quote:
and work harden and crack over time.
Thats why one puts a coil in the length and doesnt move...hell I have old vintage cars with orginal copper good as the day it was made over 50yrs ago
Quote:
Copper is way-old school, long before better materials for the application like nylon became available.
yeah and over a few yrs this stuff hardens cracks, ferrels slip off...
Yep might be fine for modern disposable short life cars...and it looks like crap.

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old Dec 18th, 09, 05:43 PM
Senior Tech

Mechanical gauges are typically less expensive that mechanical gauges. You might have some spare holes in your firewall connector if you wanted to wire up an electrical a gauge.

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old Dec 18th, 09, 10:28 PM
Senior Tech
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steptoe View Post
yeah and over a few yrs this stuff hardens cracks, ferrels slip off....
Hardens? Cracks?? Ferrels slip off???
You should shop elsewhere!
Not sure what you're buying, but I've got used, 20 year old nylon tubing that I can still reuse and I can't get the damn ferrels (olives) off!

The nylon stuff is just so much easier and it does the job.. Are you aware of the route that the oil line takes from the block to the console gauge? -especially on a big block. Doing that in rigid copper with coils under the dash and into the gauge pod.. Are you serious?
Copper would be an expensive, tedious pain in the butt to install and for what gain?
GM and all the others are right to use it..

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old Dec 19th, 09, 12:03 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Re: Mechanical or electrical

Quote:
Are you aware of the route that the oil line takes from the block to the console gauge? -especially on a big block. Doing that in rigid copper with coils under the dash and into the gauge pod.. Are you serious?
I have done it 3 times in the last 30 yrs ( rebuild the body/inteor of the car about every 7 to 10 yrs) on a sb once with the heater vent ducting in and once with it out... factory routing...yep it rates up there with the top 5 awkward jobs

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 09, 05:34 AM
Tech Team

Most new homes don't use copper they use Pecx (sp).
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 09, 12:39 PM
Senior Tech

Wires never leak and they're made of copper

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 10, 08:10 AM
Senior Tech
Kevin

(I read these posts this morning and just wanted to leave my 2 cents on this subject)

I am installing my NYLON line as of last night and finish it this morning (got a late start), I ordered the replacement from Classic Industries and that is what I was sent (nylon) ... So far, I do not see a problem with the material ... The routing was through the underneath backside of the console, under the heater box and through the factory hole in the firewall above the gas pedal (oh, speaking of that, I broke the factory rubber grommet any replacement suggestions where I may find one), and then under the wiper motor and to the back of the engine block to the oil pressure sensor and I was/am glad it was nylon and not copper, as it flexed easily as necessary for the installation (hmm) ... Now I think personally, it will work just fine as the connectors are a 3 part system, the nut, the brass ferrel, and another brass (very small) plug in to the end and inside the nylon tubing which helps the nut and the ferrel crimp down ... Okay having said all of that ... I am replacing an old nylon tube (previous owner), which was very difficult to remove from the oil pressure gauge as it SEALED very tightly (hmmm) ... BUT, there was a coupler in the OLD line that DID leak (hmmmm again) ... Now I AM a Contractor by trade and I would NEVER use Flex nylon tubing in any one of my projects for water (Copper baby copper) Oh, but I live in California where we do not see a whole lot of freezing of the pipes (I understand the Flex tubing doesn't burst with the freezing expansion) ... However, I am probably sure the factory was copper, but I worked with what I had to work with as of the parts that were sent to me and IF they had sent me copper, I would have used copper (and I would have feared the kinking to the point of cracking during the install) ... I do remember having two thoughts during the install
1) I hope this tube doesn't curly up and kink as I am feeding it through the firewall (it didn't, it was very easy to work with),
2) When I put my NEW carpet in (the old coupler had a drip on my rubber carpet mat), "I hope this doesn't leak"
Anyways, reading the above posts AFTER I had already done my install, I am only commenting to everyone's posts, statements, and my findings ... (Oh, last thought, I hope that nylon line doesn't leak)

Kevin (kmg1969ss)
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 10, 12:45 PM
Senior Tech
Steve

Factory wasn't copper, it was nylon. If it leaks, it was fitted wrong! Fitted correctly, they don't leak.
Also, the factory hole/dimple for the oil pressure line was high up on the firewall, behind the distributor.
See RPO-U17 Item 3.
Classic sell the "correct" grommet for $12 # HC456.

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 10, 11:41 PM
Senior Tech
Kevin

Yeah, I saw that hole / grommet today while working on the car .. I thought to myself, I says self ... "I hope that isn't the hole for the oil pressure gauge as it would be a little more difficult getting to" ... I did remove old nylon tubing from the oil pressure gauge ...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode