69 tach dash conversion question - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Dec 18th, 09, 11:53 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

69 tach dash conversion question

I want to convert my 69 standard dash to a tack/clock dash, put in the factory gauge pod on the center console AND GET ALL THESE ITEMS HOOKED UP CORRECTLY with no hidden problems if possible. I have read as many of the search posts as I can find. With that info I went to order the items needed and was told by the sales rep. that if I went that route that along with everything else I would have to make at least three wire changes at the fuse block which is not really something that can be done like the factory would.
He said to purchase all the needed full wiring harnesses and replace all the harnesses, fuse block, etc. This would be a bunch more money.
I would like to know if this is completely true or a bit of a sales pitch.
If anyone that has done the conversion can shed some more light on this subject, it would be great. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Dec 18th, 09, 12:49 PM
Senior Tech
Steve

Re: 69 tach dash conversion question

To fit the tach, you need the tach harness which is attached externally to the engine harness and passes through a hole in the firewall next to the bulkhead connector. See RPO U16-A1 of the factory assemby manual for diameter and exact location details
You need harness CA6907

The console gauge harness, CA97579 auto or CA97581 manual trans, plugs into the main loom where the non-console gauge harness should already be pluged in.
See RPO U17-A1

The in-dash clock harness, CA97523, plugs into the fuse box terminal labelled "BAT-FUSED".
See RPO U35-A1

Apart from drilling one hole by the bulkhead connector for the tach harness to pass through (it comes with the correct grommet), there is really nothing else to do but plug the looms in.

Nov 68 Van Nuys. 327 floor-shift-auto, Frost Green and not much else when new.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Dec 18th, 09, 01:19 PM
Senior Tech
Steve

Just looking at the AmericanAutoWire website.. http://www.americanautowire.com/#

You may require a "Console gauge conversion harness".

Download this catalog for the part number that suits your application.
http://www.americanautowire.com/cata.../03_CAMARO.pdf

Contact them if you are unsure if it's what you need.. I'm unsure!

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Dec 18th, 09, 03:17 PM
Senior Tech
mark

the U17 tach wire with console gauges goes in the main harness and the bulkhead connector . Option U16 tach and center fuel gage had the separate tach wire like Steve mentioned . buy the conversion harness and a roll of wire harness wrapping tape and you can make it look nice .
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Dec 19th, 09, 02:01 AM
Senior Tech
Steve

Yeah Mark, I just opened my CA6907 tach harness, and it has the connectors to pass through the bulkhead connector, which is a much easier retro fit.
It also comes with the correct grommet, so you can cut the spade terminals off and rejoin the wires together and use the tach hole if you already have one drilled. (You'll never get the spade terminals through that grommet!)

Last edited by BlackoutSteve; Dec 19th, 09 at 01:31 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode